Basic Tidal Questions

Zenith4me

Hello all,

I've been considering getting Tidal especially since the prices have gone down and I have a question.

I would like to use Tidal in both my house and in my car (2024 Tesla).

Can I do the Individual account or do I have to get a Family account? 

During my googling I found this..."You can use one device in online mode and five devices in offline mode simultaneously." I'm not sure what is meant by online and offline mode.

Any help would be appreciated for my first foray into a streaming service.

My take on offline:

You can access any titles that you have downloaded to your device.

Does your Tesla have a hard drive or SSD?

So - if another family member is 'online' in your home System, you will be able to listen to anything you downloaded while in your car.

(Vice Versa)

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, itchitch said:

My take on offline:

You can access any titles that you have downloaded to your device.

Does your Tesla have a hard drive or SSD?

So - if another family member is 'online' in your home System, you will be able to listen to anything you downloaded while in your car.

(Vice Versa)

Thank you for the very understandable definition. I must have spent an hour searching online for the answer and couldn't find anything that made sense to me.

Yes, my Tesla has a thumb drive in the glove box. My plan is to install a larger drive to use for both music and dash cam videos.

After I get out of the hospital I'll be signing up for Tidal.

I found I liked Qobuz better than Tidal for sound quality.  Everything is CD resolution or higher....  Not sure if Tidal still uses MQA compression, but I didn't like it.  I just have a simple subscription for about $11 a month.... I can use it in on my phone, on my PC, and on my stereo via a DAC.  I think Tidal may have a bigger library..but, I've yet to come across a song I want that's not on Qobuz.

• Thank You 2

Tidal certainly looks like the best option for Tesla. You would need the Tesla Premium Connectivity option which I think is free for a while, then $100 for an annual fee (or $10 a month). If you don't use Premium Connectivity for anything else, then you have to factor that in.

I wanted to like Qobuz.  I mean I really wanted to like it. Problem is that it's limited to phones, computers, and maybe some high-end streamers.  There are no apps for Firestick, Roku, or Apple TV streamers. "Casting" is not a very good solution. I tried that with intermittent results and constant frustration.

Amazon Music streams in HD on computers and Firestick streamers, reduced resolution on the other streamers.

Doesn't answer your question directly, just my experience with some of the high resolution services.

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
On 4/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, Zenith4me said:

Can I do the Individual account or do I have to get a Family account?

I use the individual account, to feed content to my Roon account.  Roon handles "everything, everywhere, all at once"  Meaning Tidal doesn't know that I have this in 5 rooms, AND in my car streaming as mobile through my ARC extension to Roon.  (Cost, I have the lifetime subscription..., so I don't pay for Roon anymore on a monthly basis).

Roon manages all the devices, and Tidal is not aware (nor Qobuz).

On 4/12/2024 at 6:14 PM, Kurt said:

Not sure if Tidal still uses MQA compression, but I didn't like it

Ostensibly, MQA is dead, and not used on Tidal..., and no longer paying MQA licenses, this move was part of how they were able to lower their prices, recently.

• Thank You 2