Cleaning Vinyl

Gene C

Bet you never did dishes for your mom, but now.....Ha! your a Vinyl beotch!......eusa_whistle.gifemsmilep.gif

So been kinda waiting on your impressions.....does it do a nice job? do the pops and cracks totally
go away? or just become less?...That thing sure looks groovy. 

Bet you never did dishes for your mom, but now.....Ha! your a Vinyl beotch!......eusa_whistle.gifemsmilep.gif

So been kinda waiting on your impressions.....does it do a nice job? do the pops and cracks totally
go away? or just become less?...That thing sure looks groovy. 

With this Ortofon cartridge it brought out more pops and crackles than the Denon on certain records. This Sota has helped a little bit, but these machines do not eliminate them.I have cleaned most of my records before I bought this machine so just have been cleaning the Mofi's and real good LP's. Overall this thing is solidly build and the quality is there, easy to use....Gets an A+ in my book.

....and yes there was child slave labor going on in our house from the time I was 5 years old happy0009.gif It built character face20.gif

Thanks Gene, since I've only heard one album cleaned on an ultrasonic cleaner, I didnt know what to expect.
I'm a vinyl newb....I had records when I was younger but was more for backround, I didnt have the time or
interest back then to care much. Funny how things have changed. 

Thanks Gene, since I've only heard one album cleaned on an ultrasonic cleaner, I didnt know what to expect.
I'm a vinyl newb....I had records when I was younger but was more for backround, I didnt have the time or
interest back then to care much. Funny how things have changed. 

Yeah, tell me about it. For the most part it can make a big difference depending on your setup. Like I stated earlier with the pops and clicks between the cartridges, some records I'm going to have to replace because the 2M Black is a picky fucker. happy0009.gif Apparently you only need to use it once though on that record...

• 2 months later...

Hey Gene just thought id chime in. Color me crazy but I googled best way to clean records and this is what popped up:

Read every post pretty much in that crazy long thread. Watched

this vid on youtube:

and I was sold!! Now when I go wax shopping im not scared to pick up some of those grungy ones cause I know that the wood glue will take care of em. only a few REALLY bad wax have I not seen an improvement on. Got The Doors 1st record from a buddy. Lets just say she was in rough shape. Glued it 4 times both sides and the sound out of that thing is incredible. I was ready to scrap it even after the 3rd time I was thinking to myself dude this thing aint coming back...just played it last night thing sounds awesome. So if you have a record you think is scrap just give it a whirl. I use Titebond II. And if your gonna get rid of some of those records let me know ill buy em from you in confidence!

I'll jump on this thread late, but here is my process...

Take vinyl out and place it on three microfiber cloths.

Drop five drops of Audio Technica record care solution on one half of the album...skip the label and drop five on the other half.

Take the Audio Technica brush pad and wipe completely around the album twice.

Apply light to moderate pressure and slowly "scrub" back and forth once completely around.

Take microfiber cloth and wipe side dry.

Repeat on other side.

Then I take the solution that came with my nitty gritty and apply the same amount of solution.

Gently wipe the solution twice around to wet the whole album.

Place the album on the nitty gritty and wet the other side as I slowly rotate the album while side one is being vacuumed.

Flip album over and dry side two with the nitty gritty.

Place clean album in a new inner sleeve and slide back into the cover next to the original sleeve.(new sleeve slides into the cover facing up)

Put new clear plastic outer sleeve on the cover.(new sleeve goes on facing up so the opening of the jacket, cover and sleeve are all different and protected)

Before I play each side...

I use an audioquest anti static brush on each side.

I use my new onzow zerodust sylus cleaner before each side as well.

It seems overly labor intensive, but I've got the system down so its really not. It's also a great feeling knowing that everything is as perfect as I can possibly get it before the needle drops.