Cleaning Vinyl

Gene C

Recently I picked up a Groovemaster off ebay for covering the label while I clean it with soap and distilled water using a fine paint brush. Am thinking about possibly getting a machine if my method of cleaning LP's is not kosher. What are you guys currently using to clean your vinyl?

I no longer buy vinyl.  Well almost never.  I did just buy Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab " Pink Floyd DSOTM" original recording. 

I have not had to wash mine yet.  When I first started collecting vinyl (many years ago) I got into the habit of replacing the inner sleeves with archival grade sleeves.

I use a VPI 17 which I picked up for around $300 a few years back.

If you get a VPI do yourself a favor and seal the area around the liquid holding tanks as they just use bare particle board and it'll rot away into garbage.
  • Thank You 1

Have you ever seen this post by MadMike:   DIY Record Cleaner

Check out the YouTube demonstration on the last page.  Neat.

Thanks for digging that one up Dennis. Actually looking at the VPI HW-17 right now. Going to see if I can find a deal on one. Just saw the video on this one...

I got alot of my vinyl from relatives who smoked. Amazing the amount of crud that came off.

While some of that "crud" was probably tar and nicotine, most was just the vinyl "bleeding".
(The wash water turns brown when cleaning brand new just out of the shrink wrap albums.)

I recently heard what a ultrasonic machine can do.....wow!
4K is a little pricey though....
Thinking I may be able to DIY one for under $500....
Nice winter project. 

Maybe I should consider deep cleaning my LP's.  20 + years of hidden grime.

I always give them a good wipe with the D4 solution before each play.  I figured if I kept them stored in good sleeves and always return them to the sleeve after play that they would not get dirty.  They look clean, bright, and scratch free to the naked eye. 

I am cheap.  Madmike's LP cleaner looks more in my budget.  Besides,  I like DIY. 

I'd want pictures of the underside of that VPI.

Remember what I said about the fluid causing the thing to rot apart.

Wound up buying the Sota for 1K. We'll give this one a whirl too.... 

• 3 weeks later...
OK you`re hooked now emsmilep.gif. Have fun cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. Now you just need to get new inner sleeves for every one you clean. I use these from SleeveTown with good results.Btw Gene git rid of that little brush they suppled you with and get a Mofi Brush! Much better and really cleans Great.

OK you`re hooked now emsmilep.gif. Have fun cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. Now you just need to get new inner sleeves for every one you clean. I use these from SleeveTown with good results.Btw Gene git rid of that litttle brush they suppled you with and get a Mofi Brush! Much better and really claens Great.

Thanks Dok! Actually had MOFI sleeves ordered a few days ago but the brush is a great idea. So its ok to get that MOFI brush wet huh? Just ordered one now on your suggestion.  msp_thumbup.gif

msp_thumbup.gif......Shes a beauty Gene, enjoy!!

Thanks Perry! I was picking this thing apart when I unboxed it thinking "1K huh? We'll see about that". So far no complaints, just got doing about 11 records so time for a brake.