Carver MXR-900 - Are there manuals available

Hello all. I am new the forum and a first time Carver owner. At the peak of Carver's popularity they were way out of my young adult price range. The MXR-900 I purchased on e-bay should arrive any day. It is supposed to be in working order, however, considering I paid $80, I have my doubts. I will re-cap and re-relay it regardless.

I don't see much on the forum related to the MXR-900 or MXR-2000. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a service manual available? I see there is one for the MXR-2000 which is probably close.

Thanks,

Bill

Terrific. Thanks.

One follow-on question. This thing probably has not seen 110 VAC in many years. Do you folks recommend powering it right up or should I sneak up on it with my VARAC?

First thing I would do is open her up top and bottom.  Blow out the dust.  Look for any suspicious components.  Burnt or dark resisters.  Bulging or leaking caps.  Check the fuse first.  If it is blown then you know something is amiss.  And if you have a variac, yes by all means use it.  Can you monitor the current at the same time? 

• Thank You 2

It works, by golly.

The MXR-900 had arrived by the time I got home from work. I unpackaged it in private so my girlfriend's eyes would not roll out of their sockets at my unnecessary purchase of another apparent boat anchor (last month is was a Sony PS-X600).

I powered it up through my VARAC and low and behold no explosions or smoke. Compared to my ONKYO home theater amplifier playing CDs, it sounds awesome. The FM radio deserves its reputation too.

Regardless of its apparent working condition, I will recap it and replace the relays.

• Community Admin
Welcome to the forum, Bill.

That's a sweet deal. And looks in great shape, save for the binding post.

When you get inside the beast, please post some pictures and share with us your restoration.

Welcome, and hope you stay around for a while and enjoy it here. 

Welcome, I have been a long time Carver fan.

I also own a Sony PS X600 turntable which I have owned from new. There are more of these out there than I would have guessed. I am more of a casual vinyl listener, but this turntable has always ticked all of the boxes for me. I hope you enjoy yours.