Hello from Virginia

Hey folks,

Old timer here saying hello.

I was a member here many years ago but I think my account was purged when I wasn’t active for a while. Most of my involvement here centered around a pair of Amazing Plats that I was trying to source new ribbons for…. Which never happened and the speakers were sold.

Later I played with a pair of Originals, which lasted a while before being replaced by a more manageable box speaker. (Picture attached).carver-krell.jpg

My gear gets changed around fairly frequently, stuff comes and goes at a scary rate. While I’ve owned Carver gear on and off over the years, all I have presently is an old CT7 that never gets used and a little Crimson 75 that I picked up a couple weekends ago that’s in need of a repair.

Anyway, howdy and have a good weekend.

Carl

• Thank You 11

3 minutes ago, Dennis47 said:

Welcome back @AudioResurgence!

What are your repair plans for the Crimson 75?

Thanks Dennis…

I’m not exactly sure yet what to do with the Crimson amp. I emailed Nelion Audio yesterday, after having a brief email conversation with Jim Clark. I haven’t heard back yet from Nelion.

It looks like a modification was made by a previous owner, so I’m not sure whether it’s something Nelion would want to take on or if it’s commercially viable.

I’ve a little blog that I use to talk about various projects and there’s some photos of the amp with a bit more info on the blog here if anyone is interested:

https://www.audioresurgence.com/2023/11/bob-carver-crimson-75-amp.html

Right now I’m thinking of maybe floating it out on USAUDIOMART to see if anyone wants to pick it up for a project. But I’ll wait on Nelion getting back.

cheers

• Thank You 2

@AudioResurgence  Welcome to the site.  You've stumbled into a group of people that are quite experienced the the Crimson 275.  Many of us participated in a special build of the 275 back in 2018.  Bob offered a kit (actually more a box of parts) where he provided guidance on how to assemble what we ended up calling the CF2018 amp.  I believe it to be identical to the Crimson 275.  Search around on the site, you will find extensive discussion on the build process with photos and schematics.

I looked at your blog.  You definitely have a factory Crimson 275 that has been seriously modified.  Forgive me for lifting a photo from your blog, but there are clearly some mysteries surrounding the filament wiring and some bonus (and burned) resistors.  The Zobel network on the speaker binding posts also seem to be missing. I strongly suggest not plugging it in until either the mods can be understood or removed.

image.png

Here's a similar shot of a CF2018 amp that is working great.

image.jpeg

It's a fine amp.  They rarely fail.  I assure you that Greg at Nelion throughly understands this amp as do many site members.  If Greg is too backed up or reluctant to take on the mods, you may find someone here that can help out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Thank You 4

Oh.  And be aware that this amp took a tremendous beating at the hands of Amir and others on ASR.  Bottom line is that they didn't know how to test it and ignored advice on the proper test procedure.  I could start ranting, but that's the bottom line.

• Thank You 4

Thanks @wrf!

That’s great input and I appreciate it. Jim had pointed out that the amp had been modified but I assumed it was just the (burned) resistors that had been added and not the other things you mentioned.

Hopefully this can be brought back to spec as I’d really like to hear the amp playing as Bob intended.

I’ll report back when I hear from Greg, hopefully with good news.

• Thank You 4

Here is a picture of a recent production board. The AC filament wires were move to the top side of the board. The missing Zobel network prevents oscillation if the amp is powered up without a speaker load connected. It's important not to power it up as Wayne said.  Any parts the amp needs are available. 

We have one here in Rockford with a bad power transformer. The owners son was running multiple 4 ohm speakers on each channel and the trans eventually failed shorted. 

With the fuse covers missing and the smoked resistors, I'm guessing the power trans is bad, worst case.

If Greg is isn't interested or if the wait is too long, you can send it to Bob Carver in Rockford for repair. 

Jim

815 985 3557 

IMG_0733.jpg

• Thank You 5

• Community Admin

Welcome back! @AudioResurgence.

Perhaps do you recall your name/handle back when you were a member previously?  

That would help connect the dots for old timers.

Love seeing old timers come back to see what's going on.

Great blog, btw.  It would be great to see you share a link to your projects here, from time to time! 😉 

• That Rocks 2

• Community Admin
15 minutes ago, AudioResurgence said:

@AndrewJohn

Thank you sir!

My old handle here was Dazed and Confused!

There were either hyphens or underscores separating each word, I can’t remember which!

It’s quite a long time ago, I would think perhaps 5 years or more. 

You're old handle is still active, and your contributions over time are still here!  😉 

"dazed_and_confused"  

A members list is available under "Community" drop down menu at the top, click on "Members"

• That Rocks 2

On 11/4/2023 at 4:13 PM, Ar9Jim said:

Here is a picture of a recent production board. The AC filament wires were move to the top side of the board. The missing Zobel network prevents oscillation if the amp is powered up without a speaker load connected. It's important not to power it up as Wayne said.  Any parts the amp needs are available. 

We have one here in Rockford with a bad power transformer. The owners son was running multiple 4 ohm speakers on each channel and the trans eventually failed shorted. 

With the fuse covers missing and the smoked resistors, I'm guessing the power trans is bad, worst case.

If Greg is isn't interested or if the wait is too long, you can send it to Bob Carver in Rockford for repair. 

Jim

815 985 3557 

IMG_0733.jpg

Carl, 

Current products (tube amps) are serviced in Rockford, IL.. Vintage (solid state in our case) are service at Nelion and Hi Tech. Bob Carver products since about 1970 are still being serviced and serving happy customers today. I'll make this clearer on the website. Thanks.

• Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, AudioResurgence said:

Ok thanks. Good to hear that I have options with this. I would like to have it repaired via the fastest route as I’m keen to hear this little guy with my ProAcs. 

No problem.

Please send to:

Bob Carver 

4563 Hydraulic Rd

Rockford, IL, 61109

• Thank You 1

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

Guys. I just listed this amp on eBay.

I’ve been kinda laid up following a surgery at the end of last year and just didn’t have time or energy to deal with it. I’ve a bunch of stuff going on so decided to list it yesterday if anyone is interested. I’ve no idea what it’s worth so I just pulled a number out of my hat. 

Edited by AudioResurgence
  • Thank You 3