Hello everyone, I've known and admired Carver from at least the late '70s. Wonderful innovative equipment, way ahead of its time.

When I started out in this hobby in the 70s, that was cutting edge technology for audio. 

I built two mono amplifiers & a Hafler pre-amp from kits. When I went shopping for a tuner in my local Hi-Fi shop, I compared several tuners. Denon and Carver. Denon sounded more like a typical tube sound. The Carver TX-2 was more accurate to my ears. So I bought it.

Few years later I was reading a diy magazine and high-speed diodes for power supplies. Grabbed my attention. I put them into the tuner. Not sure if it made any difference though.

Recently I tried picking up FM signal where I live now. It's a poor reception area but I had a very good indoor VHF TV antenna. No output, no signal strength on the meter.

Yesterday I brought it over to someone's house that had excellent reception. Hooked it up to the original sansui receiver. The output jack board was loose and I must have shorted it with my modern RCA cables. I opened it up and tried to hold the board so I could plug in. I think it's shorted everything out. What looks like the fuse smoked and burnt. I immediately shut it down.

So I came back to the site to find a service manual. I'm going to repair it myself. I think I'll be able to do it with a simple fix.

I'm looking forward to digging deeper into this community's interests.

• Thank You 6

On 1/1/2024 at 12:48 AM, The Great Artiste said:

So I came back to the site to find a service manual. I'm going to repair it myself. I think I'll be able to do it with a simple fix.

Welcome to the site.  Congratulations of finding the TX-2 service manual.  Not everybody finds the manuals that quickly.

Hopefully your problem is a simple one.  Keep us posted on your progress.

• Thank You 1