Vintage Record Players for your CAR!

zumbini

It would be a pain to have to change the 45 every 2 to 2.5 minutes.  happy0009.gif

You would need one of these to keep everything organized.

20120705142900387.jpg

Guest rasta_audio

It's 102 degrees outside here today. Wonder what the records would like after baking for the afternoon in the heat? Maybe you need to leave the car running when parked with the air conditioner on to keep them cool

Found it.
The picture is from an article in the Popular Science Magazine  Nov. 1955
No model is given (for the car) only that system was called "Hiway Hi-Fi" One Hand, No-look Operation  and would be available as an option on all 1956 model Chrysler's.
The price was said to be about same as for a car radio. 
These were designed by Columbia Broadcast System (CBS) and Chrysler engineers.
One caveat is those aren't regular 45's as they look in the picture, they are 7" and were touted to play for a full 1 hour per side at the unconventional speed of 16 2/3 RPM
The records had  extra fine grooves, said to be 1/3 rd the thickness of a human hair.
The needle was a skinny .0003 inch across and a regular LP player uses one three times its size. 

To read the full article just Google:   Popular Science Mag. Nov 1955

I was out camping this weekend.  On Saturday morning I was heading to the latrine and spotted a car coming down the road.  I am not an expert but knew it was a 1950s car because it had big fins.emteeth.gif  He pulls up beside me and shouts "If a guy gets drunk out here will they kick him out?"  I walked up to the car and said "I hope so"  (I likes my peace and quiet while camping).  The driver was about 70 years old and told me the car was appraised at $150,000.   "They don't make these anymore", he says which puzzled me because I was sure that I had seen a commercial for a 2012 Desoto on TV the other day. emwink.gif  Anyway the car was a 1957 Desoto Firedome sportsman.  I leaned in to look inside and he says "It even had a record player!"  Sure enough there was an RCA Victor record player inside!  I said "Sure, it plays those special 45s that can play for 45 minutes.  Yup. 

The stuff you learn on Carver site, priceless.  True story.  I took a quick pic of the car with my phone as he drove away.  It will likely be several years before i figure out how to transfer it to my computer.

That's a very cool story Balok. I'd really like to see those photos.

There are several ways to download photos off your cell phone.
1. If your phone has a memory card copy the photo(s) to it.
Then pull the card out and insert it into your PC's multi-card reader.

2. If you have a USB communication cable for your phone plug it into your PC.
With newer phones it should show up as a "new device" and read like an outboard drive.
If not you'll need a 3rd party program like BitPim to facilitate the phone to computer interface.

3. Email the photo(s) to your email client as an attachment.

I can rememberface20.gif those things were real boats-no rough ride to jiggle the needle.
I think Chrysler Corp put torsion bar suspension on their cars in the mid 50's til late 50's -- no spring, but pretty impressively level and smooth.     (So did Packard!  Huge convertible boat I remember in 1955-56.) 

As I said, he was pulling away when I thought to grab my phone so this is all I got.  A smarter person would have taken a pic of the RCA victor record player!eusa_doh.gif

20120709184319323.jpg
  • Thank You 1

As I said, he was pulling away when I thought to grab my phone so this is all I got.  A smarter person would have taken a pic of the RCA victor record player!eusa_doh.gif

20120709184319323.jpg

My uncle had one of those when I was growing up.
His was black and silver with blood red interior with I think the 392 hemi.

I think Chrysler Corp put torsion bar suspension on their cars in the mid 50's til late 50's -- no spring, but pretty impressively level and smooth.     (So did Packard!  Huge convertible boat I remember in 1955-56.) 

According to this http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torsionaire.html Chrysler used torsion bar suspension from 1957 to 1992.

• 1 month later...

It's 102 degrees outside here today. Wonder what the records would like after baking for the afternoon in the heat? Maybe you need to leave the car running when parked with the air conditioner on to keep them cool

I have a ORB record flattener...If any of you guy's have a problem...get a hold of me.