Greetings from Chicago

Hello all. I've been poking around this forum a bit and decided to join. I've been fascinated with Carver equipment for the past 20+ years and have found some of the discussions here pretty interesting. I think I can only see some of the forum right now so forgive me if some of my posts and questions have been gone over before. I'm curious to know if/how/why people here are tying current technology (WMC, XBMC, BT, etc.) to their Carver gear. I'm also looking forward to find out opinions on the sound, design and features on the various amps. If anyone can point me to any large repositories of information here or elsewhere on the web so I can get up to speed on the basics , I would appreciate it.

A little about me... I bought my first piece of Carver in the early 90's. It was a 490t at a HiFi store that was going out of business. This was all I could afford at the time (I couldn't even afford this but made it happen) since I was a teenager. Since then I could never accept the typical mainstream audio equipment. Now that I'm a little older I have bought a bunch of carver equipment that I could only dream of having as a teenager and have been enjoying it for years. I've seen the term OCCD on here and was surprised to find out that what I've had for years has finally been diagnosed. ;-)

Welcome to the forum. 

I too find satisfaction in owning equipment that I could only dream about 20+ years ago.

HA!  I, like yourself started in the early 90's with a small M-200t amp.  I ran it for years at a 4 ohm load, and have never cracked it open.  Its at the top of my avatar, and today, still rockin out tunes.

A 490t, as your first piece of gear?  Sweet.

Tell us about what you've collected, and we'd be glad to set it up for you, or suggest some tweaks.

Generally, the first mainstream Carver amps are the 'M-' series.  The 'PM-' s are Pros, and the 'TFM-'s are newer models.
Phase Linear (70s) was before any of these.

Silver 7s and 9s are monoblock monsters.

I integrate an Apple TV into my pre-amp in.  I also use the WMC extender from an Xbox 360.  Both wirelessly in my home network obviously. 
But depending on how your Carver gear has been serviced (caps and such) the quality of your 'source' input signal will be painfully apparent.  I am now on the precipice of an external Digital to Analog convertor to run my digital optical into before it hits my Carver preamp. The Xbox has a decent internal dac, the Apple TV II has none.  The dac I'm purchasing has a usb in, so you can bypass any internal computer analog soundcard for the XBMC.  Of course, you can just run a 'headphone to RCA' input to your preamp to get you started.   Cheap internal dacs, and low resolution mp3s may drive you nuts after a while.  Especially after critical listening from a 490 tube.

So, take your time, and tell us about your gear.

Howdy progets and welcome to the forum from another member who considers Chicago to be his home.

I'm a dinosaur so I don't have a clue about WMC, XBMC and BT, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.

We love photos so please post some pix of your gear for us. 

WMC (Windows Media Center), XBMC (Linux based Media Center) and BT (Bluetooth) are technologies to manage and listen to your music and video libraries without have to physically touch any actual media (record, cassette, CD, etc.). This allows you see see all the album covers and create playlists (think of a modern version of the cassettes you made with your favorite songs) from your computer/tablet/cell phone/TV/etc. This also can give you remote access to all of your library from anywhere in the world using the internet as well as share parts of your library with others if you choose.

Welcome to the Worldwide OCCD Support Group, er, TheCarversite! emsmile.gif

Chicago, eh? Ferris Bueller had a nice Carver stack...

To answer your question, and to show how ignorant I am, I don't think I've ever even heard of WMC, XBMC, or BT. But I'm eager to learn! (Edit: I see you just explained them. Thank you! Of course I've heard of Bluetooth. And I'm very interested in the capabilities afforded by the others.)

There were so many Carver designs that it's difficult to briefly cover them all. I've been here every day for six months, and I'm still familiarizing myself with the amps! Thankfully, most of the popular models fall into a few design families, with cosmetics and details being the main differences within each group.

Congratulations on keeping your 490t; it's very well-regarded! 

I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture in my reply. I thought I saw the option in the "new post" window.

This is my take on things... audio source and technology will always change but at the end of the day you need an amplifier and speakers to make it work.

radio-->record-->8 track-->cassette-->CD-->MP3

With a MC (media center) you have one very pretty graphical interface for all of your music, movies, pictures, live TV, recorded TV, streaming radio, etc. that can be controlled or listened to with the touch of a finger. You can quickly search tens of thousands of items in seconds. You can send the lastest movie to your living room TV and stereo for your wife, the top 40 radio station to the basement for the kids and "Blues for Allah" to the deck for yourself without ever having to leave your chair. When you are looking at your library you are seeing the album covers of all the music and movies as well as the descriptions, actors/artists, years, lyrics, etc.

Here's a pic of some of my gear.

bottom to top

TFM-35

TFM-35

TFM-25

CT-17

Miccus Home RTX

TFM-15

TFM-6CB

TFM-6CB

HTCP (Home Theather Personal Computer)

Xbox 360

Raspberry Pi

Nice! My main AV is actually a CT-17.

It's plenty for 5 channel surround, and one of the better (maybe top 5) full function Carver pre-amps imho.

If you are using that for your main processor, I'm sure you can tell the differences in quality/resolution from multiple sources.
Oh, you forgot
MP3--> Lossless.
A very important step.

I like the CT-17 a lot. I find it to be very flexible. I've used it with 2 TFM-35 bridged to ALS Silvers with a 490t and really enjoyed the sound stage and detail. I've also used it with TFM-15s and TFM-6CBs for a whole house system.

Do you have any experience/opinion/likes/dislikes with the C-5, C-15v or CT-29v? I've considered these to play with in my whole house system but don't know if I would be happy with the sound. I'm not trying to get top notch quality in every room but the main output is attached to one of my main listening rooms.

Here's a pic of some of my gear. bottom to top TFM-35 TFM-35 TFM-25 CT-17 Miccus Home RTX TFM-15 TFM-6CB TFM-6CB HTCP (Home Theather Personal Computer) Xbox 360 Raspberry Pi

Here's the picture that wasn't included.

20140529113209525.jpg
  • Thank You 2

WMC (Windows Media Center), XBMC (Linux based Media Center) and BT (Bluetooth) are technologies to manage and listen to your music and video libraries without have to physically touch any actual media (record, cassette, CD, etc.). This allows you see see all the album covers and create playlists (think of a modern version of the cassettes you made with your favorite songs) from your computer/tablet/cell phone/TV/etc. This also can give you remote access to all of your library from anywhere in the world using the internet as well as share parts of your library with others if you choose.
I have experienced the ease of use of a media PC 1st hand but I have way too many titles to ever complete such a project.
Besides, there is a certain Zen involved with playing records that I would miss.

Do you have any experience/opinion/likes/dislikes with the C-5, C-15v or CT-29v? I've considered these to play with in my whole house system but don't know if I would be happy with the sound. I'm not trying to get top notch quality in every room but the main output is attached to one of my main listening rooms.
As I stated earlier I am a dinosaur. I have separate 2 channel systems in every room and a 5.1 for my big screen.
Hopefully some of the "younger" members will get out of school soon face20.gif and help answer your questions

Welcome and congrats on taking the plunge into the shallow gene pool that is O.C.C.D. infested with some of the greatest guys you will find on this planet (myself excluded)! eusa_clap.gif

I got hooked on Carver stuff while stationed in Germany in the late 70's (when it was still Phase Linear). My first amp was a Model 200 Series II and it rocked my Infinity Q Jr's! party.gif

Welcome to the forum glad you found us, and decided to join in on the fun.
What types of music : Bands/Artists do you like to listen to ?
We have a "What Are You Listening to Now" section to post your favorites and discover new ones.
Enjoy the site, Blues Pwr........... 

• Community Admin
Welcome to the forum.  And, OCCD is not curable - you can only feed it with more Carver power...

I love my 490t, not my first peice, but one that will definitely arrest your attention, if it's your first.  Nothing like it in the early nineties.

Great stack you have there - what speakers are on your OCCD list?    Where are you in Chicago?  I'm in the west suburbs on the Fox river.  There's a few of us in the area. 

I had at one time a WMC set up - but have gone to lossless and ditched all my mp3's a while ago when I had a disk crash.  Still recovering from that one.  But, with disk prices so low, mp3 compression has no purpose (for me).

...yet, vinyl is still my preferred format. 

Enjoy the music! 

I like the CT-17 a lot. I find it to be very flexible. I've used it with 2 TFM-35 bridged to ALS Silvers with a 490t and really enjoyed the sound stage and detail. I've also used it with TFM-15s and TFM-6CBs for a whole house system.

Unless you have high quality lossless rips through a quality dac (internal or external) you may be missing (in fact I guarantee it) lots what the 490 used to give you.
Idk about the -5 or the -15, but the -29 I believe we have established was assembled in China, nearer the end of the Bob Carver Carver era.  It doesn't have the features, or quite the quality of the -17 imho. 
What do you use for sources?

I'm all in digital.

I have a Squeezebox Touch Classic downstairs to stream music to my AVR (Integra DTR 5.9) to my Carver amps (AV-705x & M1.0t).  Also have a WD Live TV + 3TB external hard drive with all my movies on it so I can watch em w/o getting up....

I use XBMC upstairs to play the same music to my DacMagic to a Sunfire TGP-II to my Parasound HCA-750ii.

I've built a couple HTPC's for folks and had one myself I had to pay (tax man wanted his money lol).... but been around the block quite a bit. 

What you wanna know about the digital stuff, seems like you've got a decent handle on things. Best suggestion, make sure your source files are as good as you can get. Gear cant make it sound better than it starts out with.... 

Welcome!

I'm an odd duck when it comes to sources.  I like physical media--books, records, CD's, and DVD's.  Beyond issues w/ compression, there's just something more when I physically, rather than virtually, manipulate them.

Glad to have you aboard. 

I've been busy the past week but I'd like to respond to some of the questions if anyone is still watching this thread.

I mostly like classic rock and blues. I like other things too but I would say that 80% of the time I listen to classic rock. Aside from the obvious Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, Who, etc. some of the less known artists I like include Morphine, Chris Whitley, Wilco, Son Volt, etc.

I understand the "Zen" of listening to your favorite LP or CD vs. a soft copy (computer file). I enjoy it too, though I call it "the ritual". LOL. The issue is that others (girlfriend, wife, friends, kids, teenagers!) don't want to deal with them, and to be honest, I would prefer that they don't touch them. Does that sound bad? Also, as much as I like to sit and enjoy an album I don't always have time to do it. Listening to an mp3 in the car or on the patio isn't a bad thing... it's just not audiophile. I could use a typical big box piece of gear for these areas but why? Besides, they wouldn't sound as good, last as long or look half as cool. LOL. On top of that... I built the cabinet you see in the picture to fit my Carver equipment. Of course it will fit any other gear too but I'm sure that most of you have tried to put a piece of Carver into a cabinet over the years only to realize that it doesn't fit.

I'm in Elmhurst (about 10 miles west of Chicago)... someone asked where in Chicago.

...I'm in Elmhurst (about 10 miles west of Chicago)... someone asked where in Chicago.
I grew up a few miles away from you in Westchester. (St. Joe's, Class of 1969).

I really really love to rock some Who.  For extended rock and roll sessions I use all CV cabinets, along with enough Carver power, and they really like the huge sound that defines The Who. 

I'm a little curious about your media storage still (unless I missed it), because I am convinced you are missing clarity if your main source is mp3.
And I agree with the convenience of just running a portable/smaller system outside.
I use a computer sub /satellites/earphone jack in my cabana  when I don't power up my rig........

Btw, my sister is a ordained reformed minister, and her first church of call was in Aurora,IL, just south of Chitown.  I've been there a few times.

Progets, every time I see that pic of your rack with all those amps in it, I drool! emteeth.gif

I like how you got the shelf spacings perfect, and trimmed it out elegantly. You're right, many of us have to build our own racks to get everything to fit. Here's what I had to do: fill35U's rack build . There are much better examples of homemade racks elsewhere on this site, of course. 

Who made your Home Theater Personal Computer? What model is it? 

In short I use MP3 as a generic term for digital music. It's just a habit since most people I usually talk to either don't understand/care about new technology or understand new technology but think that their bluetooth speaker playing their iPod is the best sound out there. Everyone seems to understand the general concept of MP3 though.

That being said... digitally I prefer FLAC and physically I prefer CDs. I enjoy LPs too but as a kid my Dad wasn't too keen on me using his record player and cassettes were the "in" thing as well as being portable. Remember when the hottest thing in music was the Walkman? LOL! Anyways, I never invested in a nice record player since I never had much of a record collection. Looking back on things I loved those cassettes as a kid even if they did have that terrible hiss. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that the most popular format is MP3 even if it's not the best choice. Can you say Betamax, LaserDisc, MiniDisc, etc. LOL.