What non-current non-pop music do your kids listen to?

RodH

There is music playing in my house 24/7. Rarely is it top 40 mainstream type stuff.
 It's funny what things the kids take an interest in.

My son (8):

TheInstrumentalWorksCapa2.jpg 
He calls it 'His music"

And he really digs Bluegrass. I was watching some of the BBC's 'TransAtlantic' series - mostly for Dan Tyminski - and he was glued to the monitor.

My twin girls (5) are huge Diana Krall fans.
When they were babies and too fussy to sleep, the 'Live in Paris' DVD was a sure fire way to get them to settle.
Still works like a charm.

514C6GEH9SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg 

And as they like to dance around (plus I can only take so much of the Disney music collection), I introduced them to the B-52s

B-52s-The-B-52s-189569.jpg 
No matter what they are up to good or bad, If I put Rock Lobster on - in seconds they are gettin' down in the family room.

What things have your kids picked up on that's not current pop?

• Thank You 1

My 22 year old daughter loves the Beatles.  What's not to love.  I sang All My Loving to her every night from infant to about 5 years old.  It was one of the few songs that I knew all the words. lol  I also sang her some other Beatles songs on occasion but it was always a Beatles song.

I have a son who really likes New Age stuff like Tangerine Dream and a heavy dose of Zappa. My daughter likes string quartets. My grand daughter likes rockabilly (Robert Gordon etc.)

Guest leigh91657
 My grandson who's 15, impressed me with Pink Floyd a couple of weeks ago.  They are apparently picking up speed at his school.

My kids are 37 & 35.  I shoved rock and roll, particularly Queen, down their throats all their lives. They do now have an appreciation for the classics, but they are into today's rock. The reverse has happened...I love their stuff!

Shinedown, Five Finger Death Punch, Apocolyptica....Great stuff!

• Community Admin
My two kids do a lot of Christian Rock.  And, ahead-of-the-crowd.  My son discovered Macklemore over a year before he was popular.  My daughter discovered Florence and the Machine over a year before they were big.  

Kids these days are very experimentive.  Mine anyway.  I can't keep up with the stuff they listen too. When I pick up my kids in Minneapolis for the 6 hour trip home, they plug their iPod into my dashboard, and it's an entire new experience every time.  Very little of it is current, most of it is Pre-Current.

They do like my classics, though. Daughter just bought me an Ella, cause she liked the Mack the Knife cut she does. 

My older son grew up on Queen (Radio Ga Ga) and some of the songs penned for the Highlander series. He likes ToTo.

He also listens to Mozart and a bit of Beethoven, if it strikes him.

The day it rains he makes a bee line Dave Grusin and Louis Armstrong.

He sneaked in Afro-Celt Sound System in one day, which got me interested in Brazilian/Cuban/Afro sound.

Listening to Paul Simon's Graceland, he says but you did not like my music earlier. I started laughing when he said that.

It is a very strange mix of musical tastes. My father probably would say the same thing for me.

• Thank You 1