Howdy from Houston

My name is Paul and I'm new to the Carver world, and I love it. I have 2 M1.5ts and a TFM-24 I am currently refreshing. I also have a 

C-1 that I want to refresh as well. These are very interesting audio units! I'm not new to audio repairs but I am green when it comes to 

Carver gear. The way that it utilizes the power supply is something that I'm really into. Speaking of which, I am recapping one of the M1.5ts 

now and some of these 1uf 50V caps have way better specs than my new nichicons (They are new but it's what I had in stock)! The ESR

on the old caps are half that of the new ones but that's up by the level meter circuitry so I figure they didn't get a lot of abuse. Should I 

order some new Low ESR 1uf 50V? I'm aware that this is important in power supply circuitry but here is it important? I do want the best 

performance I can get out of these amps. I tend to trade and buy and sell audio gear a lot. It's a great way to enjoy the different brands

and designs over the years. Any suggestions with these refreshes would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm looking forward to learning from you guys.

• Thank You 8
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome @cerglabs!

Glad you have found some very nice Carver gear and want to refresh them.

There are several brilliant guys who will likely chime in to help you along. 

In the meantime if you look around and make some posts you'll soon be able to post pictures of your equipment and document your repairs.

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

Welcome @cerglabs.

Best advice to learn from history, is to use "search" on the site..., there is a TON of project history for many amps on this site.

Then, as you do your project, start a thread in the right section, and build the knowledge base from your experience.

Thanks for joining, welcome to the site !!

• Thank You 2

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. @AndrewJohn I've been doing a bit of researching on the site and plan to do 

a lot more reading and searching today. I'm taking notes as I go so I can retain as much information as possible. There 

is much information to read and it's easy for me to skip over key points if I don't do so. The amp is already in pieces LOL!

• Thank You 2

Welcome !! Great to have another tinkerer on the forum.

I wouldn't worry about the ESR on those caps. Pull one of the old ones and see how it measures - in ESR and actually capacity terms. I'm curious. I never measure them when I yank them - I chuck them into the trash, install the new, burn it in and place it into service.

• Thank You 1

@B-Man   Thanks for the welcome. I had pulled one which is what made me ask you guys. The dang thing is spot on. The ESR is 5.6 Capacitance is 994nF and I put 

it on my Sencore LC53 and the leakage is 4uA!! Procom (Possibly misspelled because I'm too lazy to go up to the lab) caps I believe. That's better than the New Rubycons and Nichicons I had in stock AND the ones I received from Mouser this morning. I ordered some additional 1uF 50V Gold Nichicons since I didn't pay attention to the Bi-Polar 470uf 16V on the amp boards. Grinds my gears to pay 7.99 shipping for a 10 dollar order.

Edited by cerglabs

image.jpeg.0e78b4b4e4ed4b6fe69d9c9677e2c2ee.jpeg

Welcome to the group, Paul!  You've certainly started with some nice and interesting gear!

Yes, the P/S in those amps is very different from what you're likely used to and is what makes them relatively "unique!"   A very different approach in audio power.

Have fun with it!

• Thank You 1

@Brian_at_HHH yes it is a very different beast. I'm also learning that they had different board layouts for the power board. I have 

both of the M1.5Ts apart and the problematic one is newer (#12586) and is not as populated as the older one (#4535). The newer 

unit plays at low AC input voltage (running them both via a Sencore PR570 Powerrite II) of around 80V AC put draws way to much current, 

whereas the older unit never exceeds .7 amps at 120V AC with a moderat load. Very cool to see how this work. 

• That Rocks 1