Hi from Europe and Interest in Car Audio

• Community Admin
On 4/3/2024 at 9:46 AM, Receiver2000 said:

Dammit. Wish I could have experienced Carver in my car. 

Watch Ebay..., the 240 stereo amp pops up every so often 😉 

Wow.....thanks @AndrewJohn.  Quite an assortment of offerings from the Carver car audio division.  I'm guessing Bob wasn't at the helm during this time period, but wondering if he had any involvement at the initial concept stages.

Edited by denniswilson

• Community Admin
11 hours ago, denniswilson said:

Wow.....thanks @AndrewJohn.  Quite an assortment of offerings from the Carver car audio division.  I'm guessing Bob wasn't at the helm during this time period, but wondering if he had any involvement at the initial concept stages.

I don't really know.  KLW was an external partner..., not much on them.  I do think that the early plain amp designs, like the m240 had some indirect "Bob" fingerprints on it - but that's just folklore, at this point.  Maybe @Ar9Jim can ask Bob sometime?

I am the original owner of two Carver M-2120 car amps which I ran in my 1991 two door Ford Explorer.

I took advantage of the built in crossover via the following set up:

Amp one was used with four JBL Grand Touring 5203 speakers (mid range and tweaters).

Amp two was used with a MTX 10" subwoofer box which sat in the cargo area of the vehicle.

I loved the amps enough that I removed them when I sold the vehicle in 2001 and still have them sitting in my house...wondering what to do with them since I am not aware of anyone who restores car amps?

The amps have plenty of power and sounded nice, although, maybe a little loud in the background noise department...maybe that could be resolved with some upgraded electronic components?

• That Rocks 2

• Community Admin
22 minutes ago, Walrus Gumboot said:

wondering what to do with them since I am not aware of anyone who restores car amps?

They restore/refresh, just like any other amp..., I recall that thread from @Carlton8000, or another thread, that he (or someone) recapped and refreshed the m240's he had.  

23 minutes ago, Walrus Gumboot said:

The amps have plenty of power and sounded nice, although, maybe a little loud in the background noise department

I've found that the "background noise" or a good portion of it, for me, was actually road noise, or noise generated by the car/cabin acoustics..., I only did one car audio build, when I was in my 20's..., so today, with all the sound deadening, and other things one can do..., I wonder if it's as bad.  

I have in my garage, a full system, brand new, that I picked up for my F150..., pioneer head unit, infinity cappa speakers for all four doors, and an infinity kappa sub... It's one of those projects I keep putting off.  But I know that one thing I must do is put in a lot of sound deadening in the doors, where there's lots of flex from the increased throw and air movement of those Kappa's.  I don't think I'll go so far as to deaden the floor of, I'm too lazy to pull out the seats, and carpet, to add it. 

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

Patience and scouring eBay will eventually yield the Carver Autosound system dreams are made of.

It took over two years to create the a/d/s system I used to have in my Odyssey…

9DE39D50-8197-4F96-8ABB-98FF844B1BE7.jpeg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)

I see that the topic is still alive, and you probably liked it. This week I will be ordering capacitors for recap, and maybe I can look into the paint shop.

And here is something to read ;) 

IMG_1056.jpeg

Edited by Tuesfurioza
  • Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

Generally, it's not just Carver that used to be in the CarAudio industry, of the amplifiers I had/I have is also Sherwood, Harman Kardon, each of the 90s. When it comes to its construction, Sherwood is made like a tank

If possible, please document your refresh work with photos and comments here on the site.  I am sure there are many who would enjoy seeing your work and hearing about your experience as well as knowing about the end results.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1