Tidal Update - MQA is really dead..., don't try to revive it

• Community Admin

I received this yesterday from Tidal.  

I've noted in the news a few independent efforts (poorly funded, IMHO) that are attempting to revive MQA as a format..., but without a business model, and fairly well debunked actual value (see Bob Carver's write-up on MQA in the ether-space somewhere) ..., I'd say that it's well beyond reviving, and, well, not even on life support.  

The fact that Tidal is dropping support for it..., seems to be a clear statement that the "corpse is rotting, and starting to smell..."  Snake oil seems to have its season, then just fades away.

Full transparency, I was never taken in by MQA, so this is somewhat vindicative of an earlier decision.

image.png

• Thank You 7

On 6/18/2024 at 9:41 AM, AndrewJohn said:

I received this yesterday from Tidal.  

I've noted in the news a few independent efforts (poorly funded, IMHO) that are attempting to revive MQA as a format..., but without a business model, and fairly well debunked actual value (see Bob Carver's write-up on MQA in the ether-space somewhere) ..., I'd say that it's well beyond reviving, and, well, not even on life support.  

The fact that Tidal is dropping support for it..., seems to be a clear statement that the "corpse is rotting, and starting to smell..."  Snake oil seems to have its season, then just fades away.

Full transparency, I was never taken in by MQA, so this is somewhat vindicative of an earlier decision.

image.png

This is a good thing for Tidal.  I did not like their MQA music.  I know supposedly it was better than bluetooth lossy format...but, I could never hear it.  It's the reason I switched to Qobuz. 

Tidal did have a better interface and library... I might have to take another look at Tidal, now.  I still like the fact that everything on Qobuz is CD resolution or better.... takes guesswork out of it.

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

Here's the thread where @Magnaryder posted Bob Carver's write-up on MQA..., nope, he didn't like it either, way back in 2017.  Null testing turns over all the stones...