Many years have passed.

Papajoe

It has been a long time since I put a vinyl record on my Christmas list. But, after listening to some of my saved records, I decided that it was time to get some new ones. I am sure that the people seeing my list were going "what the hell". My choice was the new Florence and the Machine. It should be interesting seeing the faces of my friends when I put on my new record.
Papajoe

I have started dusting off my old vinyl (still in boxes).  It is really bringing back fond old memories. My wife thinks I am crazy.

I don't have any "Florence and the Machine" in my collection.  However, I went on Amazon and listened to samples.  I like it.

I sold off my turntable, phono preamp and record collection last year.  Converted it all to digital.  Took me a while to digitize over 1000 records in my collection.  Did the same with my CD collection.  I definitely have more room in my house.    

I have had a turntable hooked up to my office system with the 'good intentions' of putting all my records onto CD. Never got to that one. A few days ago I decided to play a record and was I surprised at how good it sounded. I know that when CDs came out I thought that they were far superior to the old records; but, the truth is that records sounded excellent when we used them. It was a real wake up call to realize that the record sounded amazing. So, in my new system in my rec room, I have nothing but older components. The Gemini turntable with the MXR130 that I am rebuilding and I found a pair of ADS L780 speakers in my son's garage. My sister had sent them to him when she upgraded, he had stopped using them quite a while ago, so they were damaged and covered in dust. I found a place on the web that specializes in reconditioning that brand and sent them off to be fixed. For $200.00, I got a completely reconditioned set of speakers to use. Now, I can spin those 'platters' again.

I'm putting a system together that will include vinyl, 8-track, reel to reel, cassette and CD.
Exact components of the system not yet fully realized.

I have new, un-opened Baba Bazooba  vinyl I can't wait to hear.

I'm putting a system together that will include vinyl, 8-track, reel to reel, cassette and CD.Exact components of the system not yet fully realized. I have new, un-opened Baba Bazooba vinyl I can't wait to hear.

The R2R and Vinyl blows away 8 track and cassette...

I'm putting a system together that will include vinyl, 8-track, reel to reel, cassette and CD.Exact components of the system not yet fully realized. I have new, un-opened Baba Bazooba vinyl I can't wait to hear.

Very true! But my Akai RTR has 8-track on the side of it, so they go together. I have a Panasonic and Pioneer RTR, too, as well as some other 8-track deck I can't remember. I just want to be able to play any format. I no longer own a 4-track deck or tapes(Muntz) but I used to! I have some Quad recordings, so I'm thinking about making a 4-channel system, too. I have 4 AR-94's, I might use here, plus I have the Snell Type Ci's I picked up Saturday.

What? No wax cylinders??

njl6wk4SOG4T_m.jpg

Nah! I used to have three, with about 75 cylinders... Could not integrate without putting microphones into the horn, but that sounded crappy...eusa_think.gif

One of these, perchance?

I can't quite make out the model but i have a pristine RS-1500 that Jeff Jacobs at J-Corder worked his magic on

as well as a RS-1700...and they truly sing...

Actually i believe this unit is a RS-1700 Auto reverse...very cool. it uses a photo eye to sense light through clear leader tape

rather than foil tape over a post like the Teac X-2000R does...

Very true! But my Akai RTR has 8-track on the side of it, so they go together. I have a Panasonic and Pioneer RTR, too, as well as some other 8-track deck I can't remember. I just want to be able to play any format. I no longer own a 4-track deck or tapes(Muntz) but I used to! I have some Quad recordings, so I'm thinking about making a 4-channel system, too. I have 4 AR-94's, I might use here, plus I have the Snell Type Ci's I picked up Saturday.

Very cool. I love the Snell's. Apparently there is only one artist who has recorded in all 5 formats...R2R, Vinyl, 8-Track, Cassette and CD.

Any guesses?...

Kevin,

If you ever make it out this way you'll have to check out this place

as he had a whole bunch of quad albums there. 

He has more crap than you can imagine with only what he can cram into his store on display. 

I think I could get lost in Tom's Music Store. Just my kind of place.  We have "Bull Moose Music" but does not look as interesting as Tom's.

Thanks to the good folks here and a lucky Karma Win a little over a year ago-I have a nice Vinyl system. Dose it match my Dig. system-No-but I put the bucks into the dig. system.
There is something Zen like -take your album out-clean it-take the weight off the TT-place the album on carefully-put the weight back on-turn on the TT-set the styles-LISTEN-it dosent last long-then turn the TT off-take the weight off-Carefully turn the album over-replace the weight-restart the TT-re-set the stylist.
Dig-Hit the play-radomize over 250 CD's then peridicaly raise or lower the volume via remote.

Like I said
ZEN LIKE
20120102165527225.jpg

Very cool. I love the Snell's. Apparently there is only one artist who has recorded in all 5 formats...R2R, Vinyl, 8-Track, Cassette and CD.

Any guesses?...

I know Pink Floyd has, Frank Zappa, too?

Any guesses?...

I know Pink Floyd has, Frank Zappa, too?

Well there has to be more than these guy's...I was told Phil Collins...when you throw in Floyd and Zappa, there's gotta' be more!

...Apparently there is only one artist who has recorded in all 5 formats...R2R, Vinyl, 8-Track, Cassette and CD....

Did you mean to say sold in all 5 formats? Only a garage band would record themselves on 8-track or cassette.

...Apparently there is only one artist who has recorded in all 5 formats...R2R, Vinyl, 8-Track, Cassette and CD....

Did you mean to say sold in all 5 formats? Only a garage band would record themselves on 8-track or cassette.

Yes...as soon as i wrote that i knew it didn't look right. Of course they would have recorded a master tape in those days

and then released the work in those formats. My niece tells me there are bands that have recorded entire digital Masters

driving around in a Volkswagen van. It probably sounds like it...

Kevin,

If you ever make it out this way you'll have to check out this place

as he had a whole bunch of quad albums there. 

He has more crap than you can imagine with only what he can cram into his store on display. 

Well crappo!  Now you tell me!