Sign in to follow this  
Sk1Bum

Donald Fagen The Nightfly Mobile Fidelity UD1S 2-003

I opened one of my copies of this album tonight, and I've rarely been this pleased with an album. The synergy of the music content, the quality of the recording, the 2M Bronze cartridge, BillD C-1, M500t mkII, and the Martin Logans is extraordinary. I've heard things in this recording that I've never heard before, and it is dead silent between tracks. Tonight has been one of those moments of sheer audio bliss, and fortunately, that has been happening with increasing frequency. For that, I would like to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge of how to get the most audio bang for your buck. Salut' to all of you.

If anyone is on the fence regarding these albums, if you have the discretionary funds, I highly recommend them.  Even if opening this album halved its resale value, opening this album doubled it's value to me. 

The standard commercial copy that I have will be donated to the library, and the "regular" MOFI copy that I have will go to one of my daughters. 

1769814131_20180616_0138181.thumb.jpg.75b2ed9fab3060511e2d08c4f24b6acc.jpg

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 3

Thanks for the review Sk1Bu!

Truly a great album, musical and technically. 

An optimized copy must be sublime.

I can almost hear a battalion of Georges marching into the 'discretionary' account.(;)

Gotta get my TT done. Hot and humid this weekend, good days to work in the basement!

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

59 minutes ago, 4krow said:

That might be one of my all time favorites. There is precision and jazz in the same space.

I've heard several people, here and elsewhere, say the same thing. 

• Thank You 2

Thanks for the info Sk1Bum!

I love Donald Fagen and Steely Dan, one of my faves!  Just saw them in concert last week.  They were here with the Doobie Brothers.  Just awesome, missed Walt Becker this time though.

Turbo

Edited by Turbo
  • Thank You 3

That Fagan-Becker/Steely Dan sound has always been one of my favorites as well. It presents as interesting and intriguing. Playing it on a quality system is an extraordinary experience.

Going deeper into that lead track, here is a short piece I'd seen on I.G.Y. - and I don't think the author is the first to wonder if Fagan meant the lyrics to be futuristic, or if he was being very cynical. Thinking about the entirety of Fagans work... I think I know the answer to that. 😏

https://sjef.nu/what-a-beautiful-world-this-will-be/

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1