Clean Grooves record cleaning service?

trav0810

I know some of the more fortunate members here have some REALLY nice record cleaning machines. But, for those who don't; Has anyone tried Clean Grooves? I have a dozen or so albums that I would like to have professionally and when I was doing a search, this Clean Grooves seems to come up frequently.

So the top cleaning fluid and brushes that go in those $2500 cleaners isn't available? From what I've seen they rotate the disc and vacuum.......eusa_think.gif  

I use a sink full of warm, soft, filtered water with one drop Dawn and two drops bleach.  I clean each record carefully submerging the vinyl but avoiding getting the label wet.  I place them in a dish drainer vertically to dry for a few minutes and then use a soft lint free cloth to dry.  Finally I place them flat on my granite counter top on another dry lint free cloth and the use a Discwasher with my own cleaner to give them a final going over.  If they are warped, I place them between two pieces of 3/4" finished plywood using a soft cloth between the record and the wood.  They go into the oven on the middle shelf after an hour of preheat to 250 degrees.  Once in, I turn off the oven and leave the record over night.  In the morning, 90% of them are perfectly flat.  A second treatment will increase that to 95%.  A few just never seem to get perfect but most are still playable.  If the records are noisy due to ill treatment I either live with it or, if I really want to have a good copy of that recording I still have some of the old Ball record treatment.  That sometimes makes a big difference.  I always save the original sleeve but the record goes into a new VRP every time after I clean it so I know it has been done.  I use a Sharpie to date my ownership and when it was cleaned for the first time.  I never have done a record more than once.  Never needed to.  Vinyl is superior.  Period.  Jim

• Thank You 1

So the top cleaning fluid and brushes that go in those $2500 cleaners isn't available? From what I've seen they rotate the disc and vacuum.......eusa_think.gif  

I think it's the vacuuming that makes a difference. With the Spin Clean, I think the crap settles back into the grooves if the album is really dirty.

I use one part of 90% Isopropanol, three parts distilled water and a drop of Dawn.

I do the same with a couple drops of Kodak PhotoFlo to help with spotting. The solution is great, but the lack of a good vacuum cleaner seems to be the issue. 

I use a sink full of warm, soft, filtered water with one drop Dawn and two drops bleach.  I clean each record carefully submerging the vinyl but avoiding getting the label wet.    Jim

I'd end up dropping them in the sink and have a bunch of Albums with no labels. 

If you hunt around a VPI 16 might pop up fairly inexpensively as people upgrade.

If you have the patience get two heavy sheets of glass, glue them to some 1/2" plywood, stick the cleaned record in the center and stick a gallon jug of water on top of it to flatten out the warps.

It takes a while but is much safer than using heat which can deform the grooves leading to the dreaded Wheep WOW! syndrome.

• Community Admin
On the SpinClean, I was at AXPONA, a couple weeks ago, and one of the vendors there in the vendor room, was selling these. I had seen them before. His pitch made me do some Google-ing. There's a number of threads that point out that the SpinClean re-applies the dirt, since the solution sits there, record after record. A few people say that the SpinClean solution they sell has a flocculant that is supposed to aggregate the dirt, and make it settle out at the bottom.  Seems the physics of motion of the record agitating the solution would be a greater force - and many of the opinions online seem to support that side of the argument.

The cleaner I'm thinking of now, is a reasonable alternative - that is a solution and vacuum drying machine, but is economical.  And, from what I can tell, it is conducive to using a home-grown cleaning solution, like some of these here. 

Check out the PHK.  I haven't purchased it yet, and wonder if anyone here has tried one.  They require a wet-dry shop vac.  Frankly, they look like you could get the parts from Home Depot, and build it yourself - but this guy in Brazil has already make the system.

Here's a Vinyl Engine review LINK HERE.

And a YouTube DEMO VIDEO.

And they seem to be a bit tricky to purchase. The company's website is no longer up (was up a few weeks ago). When I looked they were about $200. Which, for a record cleaning service at $5 a record, would pay for itself after cleaning 40 records.

Has anyone seen or have an opinion on this unit? 

Any thoughs on reverse-engineering it with home-depot PVC parts, a motor and a shop vac? 

If you hunt around a VPI 16 might pop up fairly inexpensively as people upgrade.
If you have the patience get two heavy sheets of glass, glue them to some 1/2" plywood, stick the cleaned record in the center and stick a gallon jug of water on top of it to flatten out the warps.
It takes a while but is much safer than using heat which can deform the grooves leading to the dreaded Wheep WOW! syndrome.

I haven't really ran into any bad warps yet, just filth. 

While I would love to have one of the VPI's, I imagine (even used), they are beyond my means!

• Community Admin

OK, That is going to take some time to really enjoy..., and I'm looking forward to it.

Why? As the punchline goes...

"There's a pony in there somewhere!

I'm going to find it. Thanks for the reference!

• Thank You 1

I don't want to give a commercial on my services on the forum but

I do the same service except I offer Ultrasonic cleaning as well. It cleans WAYYY better than any vacuum machine. I used almost all of them. I ve probably ultrasonically cleaned about 1,500 records for my customers in about 9 months time. Forum members get a 10% discount off the prices. Email or check out my eBay store if you are interested.

I've been cleaning records for 10+ years, all methods, email me if you want to chat about what works best and what is a waste of time and money. I'm happy to help!

Greg

• Thank You 2

Does anybody remember the Record-Vac?  It was sold on TV as the "best" way to easily clean all records.  It was also called the record "burger" because it kind of looked like a Big Mac.  There was a vertical slot with felt pads and brushes mounted along the edges to contact the record surface while a battery operated motor turned the record.  A lot were sold and soon there were complaints that records came out worse than when they went in.  Nitty Gritty and VPI were always very good systems but I never invested.  My method seems to work as well as anything and is gentler and more thorough than most.  Clean your vinyl!
Jim 

I got a bottle of Tergitol®, 15-S-7, Surfactant

now I can get to work.....:--D :--d :--D

thinking about ultrasonic, but right now the vpi is doing okay.

I do think I have 1 record that I cant get to sound better, I am starting to think is damaged, of course its one I really like (this mortalcoil) all my other sound great after cleaning....

I did a before an after on a few just to see whats what.

Get one of those Groovmaster's off of eBay and submersing the LP won't be an issue.

groovmaster.jpg

I Karmaed one of those off last year here. The thing worked perfectly.