Clean New Records Before Playing-- Any truth in this?

Ar9Jim

Read that brand new records should be cleaned before use, do to cutting/pressing debris let behind.

Seems hard to believe that new records are shipped dirty. Insight anyone?  

I clean mine because you can have the mold release compound still on there, and you don't want that on your nice stylus, do you? Party!
No Shit? So you should change to a new sleeve as well?

Yes

I always clean my new records.  I've seen fingerprints, smudges, static can be bad so a wet cleaning eliminates the pops and cracks or use a zerostat gun, as you know static attracts a lot of dirt and dust, leftover residue from the factory. Keep your stylus clean. There are many reason why to clean new vinyl especially if you are doing critical listening.

BTW most new albums are highly charged with static using a zerostat gun does a great job.  
  • Thank You 2

Wow. You vinyl guys go through a bunch of inconvenience and messing around to listen to records. I'm doing it as a need for demos, or a turntable wouldn't be something that I need.

Maybe there is something special in those grooves? Expectations are low for the Edison machine. emteeth.gif  

I've got records that have been played hundreds of times (and not perfectly taken care of), that still sound fine and have more 'magic' than the re-mastered CD of the same album.

The Smithsonian uses the Pittsburgh built Spin-Clean on their collection. I have one. Try looking up 'Music to my Ears' their mother company produces the Spin-Clean and it's a great place to get your can fix.

ray 
  • Thank You 2

I've got records that have been played hundreds of times (and not perfectly taken care of), that still sound fine and have more 'magic' than the re-mastered CD of the same album.

The Smithsonian uses the Pittsburgh built Spin-Clean on their collection. I have one. Try looking up 'Music to my Ears' their mother company produces the Spin-Clean and it's a great place to get your can fix.

ray 

My example was in the care given by my family during the 50's to 70's, but yes I'm getting more interested in a vinyl record cleaning machine since I'm upwards of ~600 used records now.  Most are in VG+/NM but need deep cleaning.

Wow. You vinyl guys go through a bunch of inconvenience and messing around to listen to records. I'm doing it as a need for demos, or a turntable wouldn't be something that I need.

Maybe there is something special in those grooves? Expectations are low for the Edison machine. emteeth.gif  

The inconvenience is a small price to pay for the kind of sound you get from it.

Wait until you have a TT and cart properly set up and you play a record for the first time on it. I urge you to play something that you also have in digital. That way, you can really "see" how much better vinyl really can sound. 
  • Thank You 2

Yes, I A/B'd vinyl against CD extensively before deciding to buy more vinyl in recent years. There's just something there that can't be duplicated with standard CD's. I can even record the vinyl and get a better sounding copy than a standard CD. The tubed Carver 490t with the right tubes comes real close to vinyl, but still only about 90-95%

I clean mine because you can have the mold release compound still on there, and you don't want that on your nice stylus, do you? Party!
No 5hi7? So you should change to a new sleeve as well?

Damn straight, those paper ones are putting dust in your grooves, and the mold release is still going to be in the original plastic sleeve, why put it back on the record. I use the MoFi ones.  Party!
  • Thank You 1

VINYL IS FINAL!

I Always clean new vinyl on my VPI  16.5 and I always use a new Quality sleeve for the record as well as a sleeve for the LP itself. 

Lots of folks that have sworn by CD change their tune the first time they hear a quality system for vinyl. JMHO. 

BTW I have a Huge CD collection as well. I use them in the cars.  Phones