Hi Folks, Dave here and I am glad to sign up and meet you all.

I have been an audiophile for the past half-century -  and 50-years ago is when I got my first reel-to-reel.

All my custom builds to date have been tube-based but lately, I have been quite impressed the high sonic quality that good solid  state can produce. One of the nice things about tubes is that they provide natural sounding odd-order harmonics. That's because closed tubes by definition have a node at one end and antinode at the other, so there's no way for even-numbered frequencies to be present.

But ever since I picked  up my Carver AV- 705x, and used it for music,  I have been thinking “Who needs this odd-order harmonic “dirt”?"

Edited by Rodango
accuracy
  • Thank You 4

• Community Admin

Welcome @kittoartista and @Rodango

Glad you found us.

Looking forward to more stories about your audio journey..., trials and tribulations along the way...

It's not a destination, it's a journey, never over until the very end.

• Thank You 1

image.jpeg.293dece5b15a76abaa931a12e611b047.jpeg

Welcome to the site - both of you! 

Nice setup, @kittoartista!   What are you using for a preamp?

@Rodango, you'll find plenty of kindred spirits, here.

Once you have a few posts under your belt, we'd love to see pictures of your gear!  :D

• Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Brian, for a preamp, I have a Superphon Revelation II,  for my cds, Oppo BDP-105, just like you, great unit, I like to play SACDs, and I have a Harman/Kardon CD291 cassette player, have lots of miscellaneous tapes that I recorded back in the 80's, they sound muffled, but I still love them, it's about the music, isn't? I had a Marantz 250 amp, I know iconic, but somehow not satisfied traded it for the Carver amp, like it better.

• That Rocks 1