In regards to Barry Galvin

Hello my name is Rebecca Baldwin. Many of you knew my Uncle Barry Galvin who passed away last May. I'm here posting on behalf of his whole family we want to thank all of you for your support for him throughout his life he always spoke highly of of the friendships he had among his fellow Carver aficionados. I know that your collective love of music and sound kept his spirit going. We all miss him dearly but are glad he is no longer suffering. Although we are all still grieving for our loss we are working on sorting out his collection of sound equipment and electric parts. 

If it is ok with the admins I was hoping to post a list of the items in his collection to sell on the site. We want if possible for them to go to people who can use, fix and enjoy them.  As you know Barry left behind one daughter Melissa and 2 grandsons Jacob and Jeremiah, money from the sale of the items will go to help them. Again thank you all for being there for Barry  we really appreciate it.
Thank you, Rebecca 
  • Thank You 10
  • Love this! 7

^This. Not someone trying to take advantage of our mutual grief. This is my cousin. I give her great respect, she was able to post on here what I could not bring myself to do. 

In regards to the equipment for sale if she is allowed to post, I will be going up in a few weeks to retrieve my dad's car and empty the storage unit. There. Are. Many. MANY. Pieces of equipment. Whatever is sold or spoken for, I will mail personally when I get up there in town so that my cousin does not have to. Anything that does not sell will be sold at a local electronics shop. I will hate doing  that, but I cannot afford to keep the storage unit. Nor do I have space for it at my home in Tennessee. I would much rather all of his equipment go to y'all in his favorite community. Buying in bulk is also an option if you live close enough to pick it up. Thanks so much. ❤️

Melissa 

• Thank You 11
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 3

2 hours ago, RebeccaB said:

We all miss him dearly but are glad he is no longer suffering.

So do I, and I feel safe saying that all of us here do too.

Thank you for dropping in, letting us know about your intentions with Barry's gear, and I offer you prayers to find peace with your grief.

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 6

Selling that equipment is no small task.  Testing, cleaning, packing and shipping will take time.  Packing in particular can be challenging.  UPS and Fedex will pack things, but they are expensive and often do a poor job.  

Feel free to post anything you have.  Offering it for local pickup will help.  I know Barry had a lot of nice stuff.

• Thank You 5

2 hours ago, wrf said:

Selling that equipment is no small task.  Testing, cleaning, packing and shipping will take time.  Packing in particular can be challenging.  UPS and Fedex will pack things, but they are expensive and often do a poor job.  

Feel free to post anything you have.  Offering it for local pickup will help.  I know Barry had a lot of nice stuff.

Thank you for the advice! It's great appreciated.

Many of the items we know are in some state of disrepair as Barry's favorite thing was to repair and or upgrade equipment. The equipment is in a storage unit and we do not have a way to test or clean them so they will be sold as is. We can plug items and tell you whether or not they turn on.

As far as packaging I have experience with shipping art sculptures, and this past summer I was able to successfully send a Carver crimson 275 tube amp to a friend of Barry's and an SL7 turntable. Local pickup would be great!

For posting items for sale I could use some advice. Would it be ok to post a list of everything around 40 items and tools and then post photos for items people are interested in? Or is it preferred to make individual posts for each item ? Also is Novice's gear (FS/WTB) the correct forum for me to post the items?  

Thank you again. 

• Community Admin
1 hour ago, RebeccaB said:

For posting items for sale I could use some advice. Would it be ok to post a list of everything around 40 items and tools and then post photos for items people are interested in? Or is it preferred to make individual posts for each item ? Also is Novice's gear (FS/WTB) the correct forum for me to post the items?  

It's been an exceptional experience and pleasure to have had Barry as part of this community.  Spending time on the phone with him during the final weeks, for me, is only exceeded by meeting first Melissa @Eliothei, and now you, @RebeccaB It's interesting to see his legacy and connections continue.  And you both are welcome here, anytime to share memories and/or grieve as a part of the community.  Barry knew, and spoke with Bob Carver himself, as he had that relationship.  Bob called him in the hospital as coordinated with @Ar9Jim at the time.  While Bob is not a member of this site as he is too busy - know that the connection Barry had with Bob Carver and this community rand very very deep.  He's missed.

As for your question, Yes, the FS/WTB forum is the right place.

Typically, when selling a list of gear, and this is my suggestion, to simplify it for you and Melissa, Please inventory a list of the gear, Carver and non-carver that you want to list here.  Put that list in one thread, title it appropriately as Barry's Estate Sale or ?  

We have a method for sending Private Messages on the forum.  Invite people to send you PM's (see the little "letter mail" icon at the top right of the screen)  In your thread, invite people to show interest in some pieces by private message.  Private messages can be sent to both you and Melissa, if you like - in the To field, two addresses can be added.

Then, as you sell an item, I suggest you post an updated list periodically maybe daily, as things sell, annotating the items that you sold. by putting SOLD after the line item in the list.

Please just ask if I'm not clear above.  I think this is the best way to avoid confusion (PM's will reduce super long threads) and effort to post separate items in separate threads.  It is how others have done this in the past, as well (e.g., @Rob is moving soon, and liquidated much gear this way.  You can also "bump" a post if activity declines (we'll watch for that too, to keep it active).

Great to hear from Barry's family, you are part of this Carver community now, too.  Just ask, if I can help..., I may be interested in some items Barry told me about in the back of his closet.  And, as Melissa knows, I have a Turntable from his collection that I enjoy. 😉 

One last thing, if you need ideas on pricing, please just ask - it is subjective, of course, and dependent on condition.  Most here are fair people - and would want to help Melissa and her family.

• Thank You 8
  • Love this! 3

Hello.  I was there to see that collection at Barry's and helped with some pricing the best I could. Where is the collection, now located?

• Thank You 4
  • Love this! 2

This is from my drafts from earlier today, lol--

As far as pricing goes, @kve777 came down and helped us price and assess value in person shortly before Dad passed. We have his estimates and tons of photographs. Testing can probably be done upon request with the system I set aside for myself. (truly depends on my housing situation while I'm up there and who I'm staying with).

I've sold to AJ and to one other, though the other picked his up in person so I didn't have to package it. I'm pretty sure there's considerable packing supplies in the storage unit, though @RebeccaB is the one who can confirm or deny that. 

As for Bob Carver, himself, I know Dad knew him. He took great pleasure and pride in that. It was the humble kind of pride. Like, excited beyond belief when Bob talked to him. I was not able to keep his phone when I came home after he passed, so I was not able to get a message to Bob about his passing. Though he did mention that Bob was aware of the inevitable outcome. He said they shared some very deep and intimate moments. I was always awed that he was able to find a friend in such a passionate person who made things that Dad himself was so very passionate about. 

I have a very old radio tuner/Amp (I think) from the 70s that belonged to my late Uncle Rick. Pretty sure it's a Carver. it's in my shed right now cuz I don't have speakers atm, but Still works. Dad gave it to me almost 20 years ago. When it starts to go, you know this will be the first place I come for how/where to fix it. It means a lot to me. It's one of the few things I have from uncle Rick. 

^^ That's where I left off, sorry I can't remember what else i was going to say!

Edit: I don't know how it changed colors but i can't seem to fix it. sorry.

• That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 3

17 minutes ago, Eliothei said:

I don't know how it changed colors but i can't seem to fix it. sorry.

I fixed it for you. If you're not happy with the change, just let me know how you want it. 

• Thank You 2

@AndrewJohn Thank you so much for your warm welcome and it's great to hear about your turntable! Barry often told me of his conversations with Bob Carver and as @Eliothei mentioned you could tell from the excitement in Barry's voice, the joy he took from them. Barry had a deep respect for Bob Carver and all of his inventions.  

The information on how to properly post the items is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to get to the storage unit in the next couple of days and double check my list and get everything posted. 

Thank you again for your help.

• That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 2

On 2/20/2024 at 7:39 PM, kve777 said:

Hello.  I was there to see that collection at Barry's and helped with some pricing the best I could. 

Thank you again for all your help! 

• Love this! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone I wanted to update you all that I just posted List 1 of Barry Galvin's Estate sale on the Novice's gear (FS/WTB) forum. 

Apologies for the long delay I injured my ankle and wasn't able to go to the storage unit and get an inventory and was only able to get a partial inventory but wanted to get things moving. I believe there are about 10 more pieces of equipment and more components to post.

Thank you all for your patience.

• Thank You 6