What's the WORST album you were unlucky enough to purchase?

I've been picking up used vinyl on an off for the past couple years. Some of the stuff I land is - well - nasty!
Currently this one tops my list:

cover_28131812112009.jpg 

Alley cats mating to a funeral dirge....
I want my nickel back!

You should hear some of the "music" my daughter listens to and thinks is wonderful, the recording, and the performances are a far cry from professional sounding, and the songs themselves are marginal as well, but that's my opinion. A lot of music seems to be made in bedrooms, and basements nowadays...and it sounds it.

Guess I should have left the vinyl reference out. It's the dreck that actually gets recorded and marketed that I'm grumbling about. Have to wonder if it's something to satisfy a contract, or simply I don't share a lot of folks opinions on music (That's for sure!emteeth.gif)
I have a few CDs that are only fit for use a coasters - because of the crap encoded on them.

I keep hunting out old vinyl because a huge quantity of music has been captured on vinyl that may never be translated to a newer medium. Eventually it will be lost forever. Certainly some of it deserves that fate, but there must be many hundreds of musical gems lost in the archives of peoples garages, attics and basements. Even the stuff that gets re-released often gets remixed and remastered and the changes can be dramatic.

The album referenced in the initial post was the first solo release after the break-up of "Japan" - yeah not the best origin - but there are a number of noteworthy musicians on the album and it gets some recognition in the prog-rock circles. It just really disappointed me. There must be folks who like it. Just not me.

Everyone must have landed at least one real clunker of an album over the years, I was just curious if anyone had an example that truly stands out to them.

Let's talk about Tori Amos. Now, I know many consider her stuff to be lesbian music, kind of like the musical version of a chick flick, but she had a great run of a couple of albums: Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink. If you don't know her, she's kind of posh British-sounding sometimes, even though she's from somewhere in Carolina. I was never attracted to her per se, but after years of seeing her on the album covers and getting mind-fu**ed by her opaque oft-dense lyrics, somehow I find myself with a bit of a thing for smart redheads. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell a cornflake girl is. And when she says, "God, sometimes, you don't come through." Is she talking to a lover, or referring to God? I spent years subconsciously pondering this shit, never really being able to connect the dots. It's the same thing, I suppose, that kept me going on Pink Floyd. Pretty Good Music, with promise of something deeper under the surface that you never can quite grasp; always tantalizingly close, yet just out of reach. But anyway, this is getting long. So, she follows up these two amazing albums with this stinking piece of, um, well, you get the idea.

20110828175012111.jpg 

Yeah, that's right, she's breast-feeding a pig. I should have known then.

Perhaps the title: Boys For Pele should have stopped me dead. It did kind of conjure up images of soccer ball wielding pedophiles, hmmm ... The real meaning of the title is even worse. In her own words:"First I wanted to sacrifice all these guys to the volcano goddess (Pele) and roast them like marshmallows, then I decided they gave me a really wonderful gift." She's referring to her ex boyfriends. Alanis Morrisette's You Ought to Know spewed that scorned rage in a way we all could appreciate,  but Tori's reaction to rejection was just too deep and intellectually obscure and well, musically uninspired to offer any hope for this stinking piece of - (oh, that's right, I already called it that). Ironically, it debuted at #2 simultaneously in the US and the UK. I'm sure there were millions of us back in 1996 wishing we could have our $20 back. Maybe I'll try it again. It's been fifteen years, perhaps I'm more in touch with my inner angry self-actualizing empowered piglet breast-feeding feminine self.

Now that I think about it, I'm afraid it's going to collect dust for another decade and a half.

Great thread idea btw. 

I remember really hating The Doobie Brother's release What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits.

Good title, though.

Have you listened to it lately Steve? It's a bit of a hodge-podge musically but I really like it.

No, I took it back to Sam Goody's back when I was in Jr High School and exchanged it for something else.  Probably a Beatles album or something like that.

Side 2 of the Plastic Ono Band's Live Peace in Toronto is especially putrid.  Yoko Ono's Ben Wa balls develop a short circuit which causes a 29 minute screech-a-thon. 

I like Road Angel and Another Park, Another Sunday too.
Throw in Arlo Guthrie (harmonica), Bill Payne (piano), Skunk Baxter (pedal/steel guitar) and the Memphis Horns.
How can you NOT like that? 

No, I took it back to Sam Goody's back when I was in Jr High School and exchanged it for something else.  Probably a Beatles album or something like that.

Side 2 of the Plastic Ono Band's Live Peace in Toronto is especially putrid.  Yoko Ono's Ben Wa balls develop a short circuit which causes a 29 minute screech-a-thon. 

Still makes me shudder....

I think my biggest disappointment was Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. Double album, only two good songs??? (Sara, Tusk) Wasted my money...eusa_doh.gifOne of the last pieces of vinyl I had bought, went to 8 tracks and cassettes once I got a car.cool0016.gif

I was unlucky enough to end up with two of these on vinyl from a garage sale. One is still sealed in cellophane; the other is autographed "with love to Sandy" - whoever that is...

Jerry Tiffe - the original Las Vegas lounge lizard. Recorded live. If anybody wants one - speak up now - first come, first serve - I'll be glad to send it. I'm posting it here because to post it in the karma thread might be bad karma. Then, again, maybe someone would enjoy it... 
20110905130330486.jpg