New guy with a dead amp...

Hello all! I have been doing a bit of reading around here and I'd just like to say that this site/forum is a wealth of information and you guys are amazing!

So I'm the new guy around, name is Rob. I'm fairly technical minded and enjoy breaking/fixing things. I'm in my mid thirties, can handle a soldering iron, though my electrical theory is a little lacking. Part of the reason I'm here is to brush up on that.

So I came here in search of info to help me repair my TFM-35 which I bought at a pawn shop some time in the early 90's along with my CT-3 for $400.

It recently gave up the factory smoke and now I want to fix it. I will be starting a repair thread with photo's if any one is interested.

Hi Rob, welcome to the show.

Sorry to read about your amp, but it's a good one to repair.

By all means, please document your progress with photos. Every repair project that's documented can help the next guy with his!

Welcome! Too bad about the amp...$hit happens! I don't see the Service manual for the TFM-35, but here's the TFM-35x manual- HERE It should give you a good start, it's a bit more complicated. Do you have a DMM? Get one, if you don't. I like Fluke brand with True RMS, min-max, etc.This is not a mag-field coil amp, so it's a bit easier to repair.
   First step- Visually inspect for burns, exploded capacitors, etc.  Let us know what you see.
I hope you get your amp fixed and stick around for the fun! Post! Post! Post!

.....So I came here in search of info to help me repair my TFM-35.....

The TFM-35X manual in the library should serve you well (IIRC the only difference is the THX certification, which sould be a level set resistor in the input section (which hardly ever fails).

I have a troubleshooting guide for the M-1.0t here:

It can be used for the TFM-35 as well (same topology) if you translate component nomenclature to the 35.  Also, as Z mentions, the 35 is not a magnetic field amp, so the power supply section is much simpler.