Using Wood Glue to Clean Vinyl

chiroacademy

that was discussed on one of the trends about 2 weeks ago.  one Person brought it up, uses the techniques and swears by it.  I'm contemplating doing it on an older lp that is pretty bad to just try it, but am and have been to busy of late to do it.

If you snif some types it sounds better ???

Never heard of this....

Sniff enough glue I imagine everything sounds better....

I have to try this technique as well, same thing with an old LP, I have reservations, but remain open minded. 

There shouldn't be any remnants from the glue left, comes off in one piece with the grease, lint and whatever else has been trapped in those grooves for years. Always a good idea to hit it with a vacuum or some cleaner when done too. 

Okay guys, I decided to do some experimenting...
First, The Victim:
1TheVictim_zpsc1907ab5.jpg
 Don't be disturbed, I have another copy
 A close-up:
2CloseUp_zps67d47bc5.jpg

Nicely coated (I hope)...4GlueApplied_zps4f7e68f5.jpg

I'll be back shortly after it has dried some...

My thought was to catch it before it's fully cured, while it's still flexible. I'm hoping to peel it off tonight but I'll probably have to leave it until morning.

I tried to get the thin area removed after it dried but that wasn't going well. It will flake off of the lead-in area but kinda has a grip on the grooves.

More to come tomorrow...

Yep, seems thicker is better. Peeled off most of the thicker areas last night. They came off okay, of course it left the areas where the glue was thinner and more fully cured.

Kinda made a mess of it.

Reloaded again this morning. We'll see what we have this evening...

Been doing it on my wax for over a year. Titebond II is the glue to use. Like ive said in that other thread ive done some records 4 times and its AMAZING the difference on these records. Ill Plug that audiokarma thread again.

and the first video I found

he goes a little heavy on the glue but you get the idea. I use an old TT I got from a buddy and use a bondo spreader to spread the glue. Be careful of the air bubbles cause the air wont let the glue touch the vinyl. If you think it didn't help the 1st time just stick with it. Like I said ive done some 4 times. It wont save ALL of the junk records but I shop used in confidence at the thrift stores and such cause I know the glue at least will make it tolerable.
Good luck! Happy Gluing & Turn it up!

Bob
  • Thank You 2

This whole thing seems like much more trouble than it's worth.My RCM takes around a minute and a half from start to finish.

True, My Sota takes about the same time. Not sure how much more the glue would pull compared to the cleaning machine?