Granite component rack.

Ar9Jim

Recently I moved my (2) M1.0s to a location between my speakers. My speakers each have dual side firing woofers but since amps are commonly located inside speakers, I really have no concern about the location. I left the CD player and C1 near my chair and ran some long (4 meter) RCA cables I found at a box store for $50 each. The cables were made for car audio made by Kicker. My first thoughts were that If the shielding is good enough for car audio it should be fine for home. I was wrong and the long RCAs picked up considerable hum. I moved the C1 and CD player  to within reach of the Bluejeans cables (1 meter long) and the hum was gone. I like the amps between the speakers because I can see the power meters without turning my head to look at them. I would rather the C1 and CD player not be so close to the woofer line of fire. I don't have a TV or anything between the speaker except for a 4 x 6 foot absorber panel with 9 inches of sound absorbing rock wool inside. I don't want to put a standard style tall rack in the middle and add early reflections back in. I'm thinking of a rack 2 components in width that will remain short being only about 1 foot tall. After coming up with a concept I can have my CAD designer make a set of prints and a 3d model. I'm thinking of a modular design that will basically slip together at the intended location due to weight making it difficult to move while assembled. We have many granite shops in town using water jets to fab granite countertops. Once I have the design the parts should be easy to come by. I think quartz may be a poor choice but I think granite would be ok. Any input from you guys as to why this is a good idea or not a good idea is appreciated. Any good ideas can be added to the design and I will make prints available to everyone who wants them so your local granite shop can reproduce it for you. Thanks for any input you have. Your thoughts ?

Sounds like a "solid" idea to me. I've always thought that small grave headstones would be great. Samples or mistakes from local shops. Cool creepy factor, too.
Concrete is a good material, too. You can make your own forms and color them, just the way you want.
  • Thank You 1

Recently I moved my (2) M1.0s to a location between my speakers. My speakers each have dual side firing woofers but since amps are commonly located inside speakers, I really have no concern about the location.

FWIW, amps located inside subwoofer cabinets are often conformal coated, which dramatically helps secure the parts to the PCB, helping to alleviate vibration damage. My Sunfire TSW also has a lot of hot glue on the larger components. The M1.0ts usually have a little glue on the large caps, but the rest of the board is not protected from vibration.

I left the CD player and C1 near my chair and ran some long (4 meter) RCA cables I found at a box store for $50 each. The cables were made for car audio made by Kicker. My first thoughts were that If the shielding is good enough for car audio it should be fine for home. I was wrong and the long RCAs picked up considerable hum.

Car audio components typically have 2V and higher output, specifically to help with noise.

I moved the C1 and CD player  to within reach of the Bluejeans cables (1 meter long) and the hum was gone. I like the amps between the speakers because I can see the power meters without turning my head to look at them. I would rather the C1 and CD player not be so close to the woofer line of fire. I don't have a TV or anything between the speaker except for a 4 x 6 foot absorber panel with 9 inches of sound absorbing rock wool inside. I don't want to put a standard style tall rack in the middle and add early reflections back in. I'm thinking of a rack 2 components in width that will remain short being only about 1 foot tall. After coming up with a concept I can have my CAD designer make a set of prints and a 3d model. I'm thinking of a modular design that will basically slip together at the intended location due to weight making it difficult to move while assembled. We have many granite shops in town using water jets to fab granite countertops. Once I have the design the parts should be easy to come by. I think quartz may be a poor choice but I think granite would be ok. Any input from you guys as to why this is a good idea or not a good idea is appreciated. Any good ideas can be added to the design and I will make prints available to everyone who wants them so your local granite shop can reproduce it for you. Thanks for any input you have. Your thoughts ?

As far as being a single shelf 1 foot tall, won't that make it tough to operate the C-1 and CD player ? Granite sounds cool. I bet quartz would work just fine as well. Both are way thicker than the glass shelves my components are sitting on right now.  emwink.gif
  • Thank You 1

My first thoughts were that If the shielding is good enough for car audio it should be fine for home. I was wrong and the long RCAs picked up considerable hum. 

Is adding additional shielding an option leaving the components where you want them to be? You should be using a lot of shielding in the Aerospace electrical stuff. 

Was Perry (PDR) using slate or stone for his TT?  
  • Thank You 1

Recently I moved my (2) M1.0s to a location between my speakers. My speakers each have dual side firing woofers but since amps are commonly located inside speakers, I really have no concern about the location.

FWIW, amps located inside subwoofer cabinets are often conformal coated, which dramatically helps secure the parts to the PCB, helping to alleviate vibration damage. My Sunfire TSW also has a lot of hot glue on the larger components. The M1.0ts usually have a little glue on the large caps, but the rest of the board is not protected from vibration.

I think what he meant is that the amps are located between/in the middle of the speakers, not inside them like a plate amp in a sub.

I could understand the confusion there though lol.....
  • Thank You 1

I think I would try replacing those cables first with higher quality fully shielded ones. Maybe DIY a pair of coax style cables, the better coax has double braided shielding and is made for long runs. I really think you have a cable problem.

BillWojo
  • Thank You 1

Was Perry (PDR) using slate or stone for his TT?  

It was slate 1" thick on two platforms, one three(plinth) and the other two slabs thick.
Wouldnt of been able to move them as one piece.....eusa_naughty.gif 

I know it seems  unorthodox but my gear stand is only about 10" off the floor and
its centered between the two towers as well. I did this to keep gear and stand away from
the room treatments as Jim is planning. In my case its for dispersion for the OB speakers.

It would seem awkward, but even with a TT, its really not a problem and I have had it this way
for quite a few years now.

It can look quite attractive as well 

20150701062136474.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

Wow that is perhaps the nicest looking man cave set up I've seen. Those are GR research speakers right? I follow some of Danny's projects over on audio circle. can you please describe the electronics for us drooling fools. Thanks Perry for the nice picture.

Wow that is perhaps the nicest looking man cave set up I've seen. Those are GR research speakers right? I follow some of Danny's projects over on audio circle. can you please describe the electronics for us drooling fools. Thanks Perry for the nice picture.

Thanks, old room, old speakers. 
Dont want to hijack Jims thread.....

Same concept Perry, except 2 shelves,1 slab on the floor and 1 slab above I think. Your room is really sweet and I find it inspiring. Your attention  to detail is impressive. You can obviously relate to how well treating the area between the speakers brings the sound stage to life and have avoided the temptation to add reflective items between the speakers that blur the image. I used the absorption method instead of diffusion for the added bass trap effect I needed as well..Beautiful work Perry. Is that a flat screen TV above the diffusion panel ? Thanks for sharing.

Granite makes super nice racks.  I'm in the process of a build and have been taking pics and was going to post the build when I was finished.  Priority occurrences have side tracked me for now but will get back to it.  The the whole unit is built in 1 3/4" red oak stands about 52" high by almost  6' wide, and 17" deep.  Empty weight will be about 450 lbs.  It will take a lot to make that thing vibrate!! 

• Thank You 2

I think what he meant is that the amps are located between/in the middle of the speakers, not inside them like a plate amp in a sub.

I understood what he meant, I was merely pointing out that plate amps are protected from vibration and standard amps are not.... 
  • Thank You 1

I understood what he meant, I was merely pointing out that plate amps are protected from vibration and standard amps are not.... 

Ahhh.... I gotcha, so it was I that mis understood..... eusa_wall.gif

Granite makes super nice racks.  I'm in the process of a build and have been taking pics and was going to post the build when I was finished.  Priority occurrences have side tracked me for now but will get back to it.  The the whole unit is built in 1 3/4" red oak stands about 52" high by almost  6' wide, and 17" deep.  Empty weight will be about 450 lbs.  It will take a lot to make that thing vibrate!! 

The floor needed to support such weight is also a lot of work for you.

The other approach I have seen taken is to allow the vibrations to be absorbed before they get to critical infrastructure. For example earthquake-prone areas have some fascinating building solutions using hydraulics. Modern washing machines are similarly engineered.