Diana Krall, thanks to someone here

BillWojo

Was looking through the endless stacks of CD's at the GoodWill tonight and came across a Diana Krall CD called "The Girl in the Other Room". I remember someone on here recommending her music so I figured for a buck I would take a gamble. Well it paid off, not the usual style of music that I would buy but I'm really liking her. So now I know to look for more of her stuff. Listening as I type now.
 Still looking for an Eva Cassidy CD, another recommended one. Thought I had one a few months ago and when I opened the case it was empty! Bummer. LOL
Thanks to this forum I have been turned on to a few artist I would have never tried. I really like Nora Jones, it's one of my system test CD's. 
I tend to favor female vocalist, one of my favorites is Leann Rimes. The CD "You Light Up My Life" is very good. The mastering could have been better at some points but over all I like her strong voice.
Anyway, thank you all who have enlightened me to some new artist.

BillWojo
  • Thank You 1

Glad to see you like Krall. If you like Piano, you may want to try Piano Grand: Smithsonian Celebration Live she is on it as well. 

OTD should be credited with Eva Cassidy find.

I got Karise Eden - My Journey - which Danowood recommended in this thread (wish the backup band was bit better). 

Do you like Bonnie Raitt? 

Wow! Talk about an instant Karma. Compwaco, I sent you a PM. Guys like you make this site rock.
 Loner_t, I have been a Bonnie Raitt fan for years. I'll keep my eyes out for some Karise Eden.
Anybody else have any good suggestions, keep them coming. It's kind of funny, once I make a mental note of an artist I'm looking for, if it's in a stack of CD's it will pop out on me as I scan them. I just get annoyed by the jokers that turn them sideways obscuring the labels. 
Thanks everybody.

BillWojo

They are all packed up and will go out in the morning. You should have them on Monday. I found an Eva Cassidy and threw that in to. Have a great weekend.

• Thank You 1

{Snip}... Anybody else have any good suggestions, keep them coming...{/Snip}
BillWojo

Do you have the test CD set Mark (Daddyjt) put together ? If so, give Allison Krauss a listen. 
  • Thank You 1

The Wilson Sisters are excellent, together, or solo. Their Heart days are wonderful.

Pat Benatar is another one.

I will also (sheepishly though) recommend Bangles.

Annie Lennox (and Eurythmics).

Sinead O'Connor.

Sade. 

I'd have to put Ricky Lee Jones on your must buy list. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 - just buy this. If you are disappointed in any way, I'll reimburse you. The album you want is simply titled Ricky Lee Jones, her other releases are good but this one will definitely blow your skirt up. The only thing I ask for is your comments after you've added this to your collection.

• Thank You 1

+1 on the Ricky Lee Jone. I have a couple copies of the first vinyl pressings. 

Also you might be a bit surprised on the rest of Diana Krall's music, The Girl in the Other Room is a bit of a departure that was done with the help of her husband Elvis Costello. I wish they would do more.

Since David Foster took over Verve records, she's moved back to the standard softer stuff, and typical of Mr. Foster it can lack a bit in substance, tending to be overproduced for mainstream sales pap. Guess I'm not a fan. I personally found Glad Rag Doll to be a disappointment.

On another note, if you can find a copy of an early recording :" Vince Bendetti meets Diana Krall" it shows where she was headed before the machinations of the industry steered her to her current work. 

YMMV!

I'd have to put Ricky Lee Jones on your must buy list. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 - just buy this. If you are disappointed in any way, I'll reimburse you. The album you want is simply titled Ricky Lee Jones, her other releases are good but this one will definitely blow your skirt up. The only thing I ask for is your comments after you've added this to your collection.

Her album "Pirates" is also pretty awesome. 

Wow, lots of great selections. Yes I have the CD set that Mark did. And I have some Allison Krauss. Looks like I'll need to write a list of all these suggestions, I'll never keep all that in my head.
Compwaco, I thank you again, can't wait to listen to them.
It's tough to stay ahead of Kevin, seems he's everywhere. He has even put up signs at all the local thrift stores in the lot. "Parking for Jeeps Only" LOL

BillWojo