Sk1Bum

Amazon Music HD

Amazon launches Amazon Music HD with lossless audio streaming

Amazon  has a new, high-quality streaming tier of its music service called Amazon Music HD. It’s priced at $12.99 per month for Prime members ($14.99 per month for everyone else) and you can add it to your existing Amazon Music subscription for an additional $5 per month, whether you’re an individual or family plan subscriber. What you get for the additional cost is access to over 50 million songs in what Amazon is calling HD (16-bit, 44.1kHz or around what you’d expect from a CD), and then “millions” in Ultra HD (24-bit, up to 192kHz), which the company says is the highest available quality for any music streaming.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/17/amazon-launches-amazon-music-hd-with-lossless-audio-streaming/

https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd

• Thank You 3

I had been waiting for this..., avoiding the temptation to invest (more) in Tidal's subscription plan.

What, if any, are the advantages of Tidal, and their 19.99/mo price point, now that Amazon has re-set the market price at 12.99/mo?

Seems a no brainer, but I'm not an expert here.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2

Stickers

The sun went behind the clouds and the temperature dropped so... I signed up for the three month trial of Amazon HD Music.

EDIT - the weak link is Airplay 2 is limited to 24-bit 48kHz

Background:

I have been streaming Spotify Extreme 320 kbps for a few years now.

My devices connect to my Parasound P5 - utilizing it's built in DAC via Optical and Coax.

The Coax and optical inputs of the P5 accept all sampling rates up to 192 kHz, 24-bit

Using my iPhone 8 Plus I stream TO one of two devices:

*Airport Express (using the optical output to the P5)

*Wyred 4 Sound Sonos Connect (using the coax output to the P5)

The Sonos Connect is highly modified - it actually bypasses the oem Sirrius Logic CODAC and and is set to output at a rate of 96kHz.

APPS USED:

I use the terrific (well they recently upgraded it and managed to messed it up) SPOTIFY APP to stream SPOTIFY to the AIRPORT EXPRESS.

I use the SONOS APP (still not a great APP) to stream SPOTIFY to the SONOS.

Today reinstalled the AmazonMusic APP for my iPhone to stream AmazonMusic HD to my AIRPORT EXPRESS.

They have recently upgraded the graphics and interface. 

You will notice that ULTRA HD notation below the album cover.

If you click on it A POPUP displays the:

TRACK QUALITY

DEVICE CAPABILITY

CURRENTLY PLAYING AT

I won't have access to this information if I stream AmazonMusic HD via my SONOS APP.

The SONOS APP allows you to access all of your services but has limited functionality.

My DEVICE CAPABILITY (third picture)  is limiting my playing quality (second picture) - What is the Weak Link?

IMG_1613.jpg

This is the pop up if you click on the ULTRA HD (yellow)

IMG_1614.jpg

This is the pop-up if you click on the Learn More

IMG_1611.jpg

Edited by itchitch
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

My post started as a question....

I forgot to mention that, even not at full potential, the music sounds so much better than my Spotify!

• Thank You 2