Introduction

Hi my name is Gary, a long time audio enthusiast. Thanks for having me here. I am just learning about Carver gear. 

Until we recently moved, I was creator of and head of the new Las Vegas Audiophile Society (LVAS). I can't tell you how many amps I have, from SS to high current SS to several tube amps, and most recently "the ultimate", type 45 tube monoblocks. And I was happy as an audio clam, until I had to go and read about Carver "magnetic field" amps. A lot of controversy about this, but I noticed that almost all of the negative came from those who have never tried it, or don't really listen with their ears. To me, all that matters is what I hear and how it makes me feel.  I am also an inventor with 3 patents awarded to me in the area of analog instrumental enhancement (I am a violinist, an educator and a computer scientist, so I can sip from both sides of the cup). I try crazy stuff, most of which is much better that what you can buy for big bucks. But no, I am not an amp/electronics techie. 

So of course I had to by an m200t amp from eBay.

I am so pissed off! That little m200t amp that is 30+ years old and has not had caps replaced and needs a real refurbishing, I believe sounds better than my 45 tube monoblocks! Unbelievable.  So of course now I own an m500t (in need of repair and refurbishing), the aforementioned m200t and another m200t that also needs some love, and recently a C-9 sonic holography generator. What is ironic is that I designed (not built, but mathematically designed) an audio processing system that essential would do that kind of thing, so I am totally on board with Bob's way of thinking. 

After refurbishing I will hear what Carver gear will really sound like - and I am already in the queue for that. 

Anyway, thanks for having me here!

Gary

• Thank You 7
  • Love this! 2

Hello Gary, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

The M200t is a nice amp. I have one powering my backyard setup. The M500t is my favorite amp, and I have the mkII version powering my 2 channel setup. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
On 6/14/2023 at 10:07 AM, gander said:

To me, all that matters is what I hear and how it makes me feel.

True words !

On 6/14/2023 at 10:07 AM, gander said:

I am also an inventor with 3 patents awarded to me in the area of analog instrumental enhancement (I am a violinist, an educator and a computer scientist, so I can sip from both sides of the cup). I try crazy stuff, most of which is much better that what you can buy for big bucks. But no, I am not an amp/electronics techie. 

You are going to fit in here..., superbly!

Welcome to the site, Gary!

The m200t amp is a nice amp..., I have one in my office setup.  And it's a good starting point on your OCCD journey..., oh, yes, you will try other Carver Amps..., I can predict the future!  LoL.

Again, welcome, and glad you found us!

• Thank You 1

WELCOME @gander!   |-|

Glad you've joined us

Think your going to love that M-500t amp after refurb/upgrade.

Please consider the MKII upgrade (ask Nelion Audio about it).

Let us know how the refurb project goes....

Edited by Dennis47
  • Thank You 1

55 minutes ago, Zenith4me said:

Something tells me your posts will be interesting reads with your education.

Thanks, but it's what you do beyond education that counts. Bob Carver and others like him prove that adage. While I'm certainly not a Bob Carver, I am definitely an "outside the box" guy. And yes I have a few things to share. This will be a lot of fun I think. 

• Thank You 1

Welcome aboard Gary!

I see you are already infected with OCCD - Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder.

You are in stage one - anger (pissed off😉)

Next comes denial - no, I really NEED more gear….

Finally comes acceptance. Yep, I got more gear than rooms to equip, etc.

It’s okay. Somewhere within the wall of the site is a thread - something on the order of “how many amps do you have”.

You are amongst friends here.😎

Enjoy the ride!

oh, and beware the ‘enablers’…. 

• Thank You 1

@gander

Welcome to the site!

There are tons of threads to read through - spend some time teaching for what interests you.

Ask questions.

It's great to have new people join.

The site has been relatively quiet lately

• Thank You 1

Greg, I am glad that you keep this site up nicely.  I enjoy it and am happy that your efforts allow all the members to interact and have fun with the hobby that we love. I should say that more often.

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1