New to the Site. Inherited my dad's Carver and Hafler equipment and am having some intermittent issues.

Hi,

My dad bought some Carver stuff back when I was about 10 years old and now I have some of it in my living room as a 43 year old. I am currently utilizing the HR772 and 90% of the time it is working great. Occasionally though, it will turn off a few seconds after powering up. I have it powering some Hafler Model 400 towers. I also have a Hafler DH 500 but it is giving me some trouble too. Dad used the HR772 to run some JBL L36s for a while, then the Hafler Model 400s. He borrowed a couple of my Kenwood L-07ms for a bit and then we found a DH 500 for him. When using the DH 500, he used the HR 772 as his preamp. This was my intention when I inherited them, but the DH 500 needs some work. In the meantime I have been using the HR772. Now it is giving me some trouble. I am mechanical engineer by trade and am comfortable with tools and can brush up a bit to read some electrical schematics, but make no claims to be an electronics expert. I have a Dim Bulb Tester that I built a while back, but haven't plugged it into the Carver yet. I have a soldering iron as well. I also am open to recommendations on shops if that seems like a better route. I live in Atlantic Beach FL (basically Jacksonville). Thanks in advance for any direction.

Grace and peace,

Ben

• Thank You 10

Welcome Ben,

Always good to hear a story like that. 

What might help is for you to pop the top and show some good photos. That isn't automatically part of troubleshooting, but you are going to be headed there any way. I can't be certain, but we have a fairly extensive set of service manuals at this site and so that is a good place to start. You will meet some folks here that know a thing or two about this gear.

• Thank You 2

Welcome Ben. The DH-500 is a very nice performing/sounding amp and if it were mine, I would definitely consider it worth repairing.

And as @4krow pointed out, we have the service manual for the HR-772 here (up under the 'Manuals and Specsheets' pull-down at the top of the page), so worth downloading and reading through - particularly the references to the protection circuitry which will shut down the receiver in certain out-of-bounds conditions. It may give you a sense of what sort of repair effort might be required and if you feel comfortable getting into it. If not, there are a couple of good Carver repair sources available referenced throughout the forums. 

And a search here may also give you some good info from others servicing the HR-772.

• Thank You 2

Welcome to the site!  Although it wasn't the HR-772 that lead me down the rabbit hole which ended up here, it was the first piece I ever bought.  Used it for a while, then it had some troubles.  Marriage, a couple of kids, decided to get it fixed at a local shop.  Then it all started!  Now I have four Carver systems in my house, well a mix of Carver and Sunfire gear!  My son currently has my HR-772 while he is living away while going to college!  Stll a power house of a receiver.  Remote quit several years ago, but not really into remotes anyway, so not worth trying to rememdy (universal  remote may work, but felt it wasn't a need on my behalf!)

Enyoy the ride and the people you meet here during your audio journey!

• Thank You 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:59 PM, Benjaminsswanson said:

Hi,

My dad bought some Carver stuff back when I was about 10 years old and now I have some of it in my living room as a 43 year old. I am currently utilizing the HR772 and 90% of the time it is working great. Occasionally though, it will turn off a few seconds after powering up. I have it powering some Hafler Model 400 towers. I also have a Hafler DH 500 but it is giving me some trouble ... the DH 500 needs some work.

Greeting Ben, and welcome to the site. 

Hafler amplifiers are robust and relatively simple designs, but the work was completed with passive components that were rather, shall we say... economically chosen. I've redone my share of them and had excellent results for reasonable amount of effort and cost. Whilst you've established that your Hafler 500 has been a spot of bother for you, you've not said what that bother is. Could you please elaborate?

Welcome, Ben!  I hope we can help you get your gear back to proper operating condition.  Does the HR-722 fail the same way using the Remote as the power button? Maybe you don't have the remote. It could be the power switch. If Dad had the Hafler 500 plugged into the switched AC socket, the extra draw could have caused contact damage to the switch. If it's acting up using the remote, it could be the contacts in the relay on the power switch board. Also aging Power Supply Filter Capacitors could be causing it to go into protection when first trying to power it on. That's where I'd start. BTW- you will need a decent DVOM for working on these. Please be careful. The filter caps can hold a nasty charge, even unplugged. Don't try to work on the power supply switch area with the unit plugged in. Let us know what you find. Good luck!

Edited by kve777
  • Thank You 2