New member, new home, old audio equipment

Hello Carver folks,

My wife and I recently purchased a new home and the space allowed me to pull my audio system out of storage for the first time since our kids were little.  Unfortunately neither my M-1.5t amp or my TX-11 tuner (both purchased new in the 1980s) operate correctly; the amp is VERY noisy and the tuner shows "0" (zero) in the display regardless of which buttons I press.

Do y'all have any recommendations on who I might contact to see if these two units are able to be refurbished?

Best regards,

'Shoez

• Thank You 7

Hi 'Shoez and welcome to thecarversite.com.

Can't say on the tuner, but the goto guy for the amp is @Nahash5150. You can contact him via private message here, or you can check out all his services at

https://nelionaudio.com

and for your amp here:

https://nelionaudio.com/index.php?/services.html/carver/carver-amplifiers/carver-m-15t-mkii-restore-and-upgrade-r20/

There are some here that have worked on tuners, and you might be able to find some clues using the site search function. Here's a link to a thread where a member had a similar tuner problem, and the fix:

I hope that helps, and again, welcome, congrats on the new digs. Oh, and once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of gear! :) 

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

Welcome! As @Sk1Bum pointed out, both the amp and tuner can be serviced, but you may also wish to keep in mind that used TX-11s are quite inexpensive in working condition. So a quicker and potentially less expensive solution might be to pick up a replacement TX-11 from CL, FBM, or eBay. Yes, these wouldn't perform as well as a properly restored & serviced model, but depending upon how much FM you listen to, it might be a workable solution for you.

• Thank You 3

Welcome to the Carver site. 

In addition to reaching out to Nelion for your amp, and if Greg doesn't do repairs on tuners I might also contact Rolland Barr at https://carveraudiorepair.com/serv.html for your tuner.

Good luck on getting your gear back to operational condition.

• Thank You 2

Another bit of advice if I may ask...

I have a 1978-1979 vintage Thorens TD 166 MK2 turntable which has been boxed for decades as well; any suggestions on getting it serviced?  I'm sure at least the belt and springs need replacing and the little "dangly" weight at the south end of the tonearm is missing.

• Thank You 1

50 minutes ago, Horseshoez said:

I have a 1978-1979 vintage Thorens TD 166 MK2 turntable which has been boxed for decades as well; any suggestions on getting it serviced?  I'm sure at least the belt and springs need replacing and the little "dangly" weight at the south end of the tonearm is missing.

You might reach out to https://vinylnirvana.com . I've never done business with them, but they have a couple of good recommendations on reddit.

Here's a link to the reddit thread, and a couple of other shops are mentioned.

I have no first hand knowledge of any of them, so this is not a recommendation from me. It's just a pointer to help you get started.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Hey Shoez, I had a similar situation. When my kids were small and growing I had no time to listen to music, I was coaching their sports and there was never time. My equipment and listening went into hibernation. After my daughter graduated from college and moved out, I made her room into my listening room. It's small but I love it and am back in love with my Carver and music. Hoping the same experience for you. This is such a great hobby and the CS is a nice and fun place to be.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Thanks @Receiver2000, our daughter graduated with her Master's in Applied Economics a year ago and she and her intended, a former Navy electronics technician on the P-8s, and now a "Double-E", moved to the DC area and promptly started begging us to move down here near them.  Our son, who has been a bit of a gypsy since he got out of the Navy (jet engine mechanic on the GE 404 and then part of a Growler squadron) isn't sure where he'll end up, but is currently a Mortgage Loan Officer in Miami, so, the DC area it is.

Oddly enough, our new home, while slightly smaller than our previous (doubly so because we're in a 4th floor condo versus a townhome with a basement), has a much larger office for me to work in, so, time to rediscover my audio system.  😎

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin
21 hours ago, Horseshoez said:

Another bit of advice if I may ask...

Welcome, @Horseshoez, glad you found us.

Send the amp to @Nelion.  Amp's ship well, when packed well.

Contact @Circuits & Concepts, here on this TheCarverSite, with a direct message, or on Ebay (same name as an ebay seller).  The tuner experience you describe is common, and I believe he has a part that fixes it.    If you are handy with a soldering iron, and have the interest, it may be easy for you to do.  Les, at Circuits and Concepts is very helpful with instruction, and may even give you advice on where to send it if you feel you don't have the skill to attack this fix.

As for the turntable, these are fairly simple devices..., and I'd say, that of the list you have for restoration, the one thing that is missing is "lubrication"..., the bearing that the spindle sits on, has grease that turns to goo, and even sometimes hardens..., making any other repairs moot.  It's got to spin freely, before the motor and belt are going to make it play.  I'd first go to the Thoren's Facebook Group.  It's pretty comprehensive, and has a LOT of resources (people) that know where to get parts..., like the counterweight you are missing.  Lots of those parts are also available on Ebay..., for the Thorens line.  That's a great TT, and worth putting back into commission now that your Carver journey is starting up again.

We hope you kick back, and stay a while, and keep telling us about your restoration journey, the music you like, and more..., oh, and yes, we LOVE pictures!! 😉 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1