Best way to store your vinyl

danowood

What is a good quality to use for record sleeves?  I have seen rice paper, 3 mil plastic sleeves, combination of acid free paper and vinyl plastic.  Also same with outer sleeve for record covers.  What is all of your personal preferences?

I had been using Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves until recently when I switched to THESE at about half the cost.

The link lists many sleeves, which paticular one?

seem expensive but if it protects it it may be worth it.  I just wanted to see what others were using.  Thanks for the input

Personally using the MOFI sleeves only have about 500 records. 400 of them have the MOFI sleeves.  

Only 500 albums?  happy0009.gif happy0009.gif emsmilep.gif   I have about 300 and I thought I had a lot LOL   Crap, you need to start your own station, call it KW GENE WRAP!!!!

LOL! I used the term "only" loosely. I think Dom has somewhere north of 9000 albums or a combo of Records and CD's. emdgust.gif I probably have room for 50 or so more records. emcrook.gif Going to seriously look at a different storage solution if I continue to acquire more albums.

also what kind of groove lube or groove glide would be good to use.  I'm sure they aren't talking about ky jelly LOL

8 Secrets to Protecting Your Record Collection 

Clean Your Records: Use a good quality cleaning system and get all the gunk and grit out of the grooves!

Replace The Inner Sleeves: Replacing the original sleeves with a good anti-static sleeve will help prevent scuffs, scratches, and help keep the static down. 
Use a Carbon Fiber Brush Before Every Play: Keep your records clean and dust free. 
Clean Your Stylus Before Each Play: Use a stylus brush or Zerodust to keep the stylus clean before you drop it in the grooves!. 
Use a Record Treatment: Using a record treatment like Gruv-Glide, Last, or Groove Lube will reduce wear and make your records sound better.
Put Records Away After Playing: Leaving your vinyl lying around will increase the chances of accidental damage and allow them to collect dust! 
Store Your Records Properly: Records need to be kept upright, not flat. Avoid storing in temperature extremes! This will protect against warps and ringwear. Keep your record jackets in good shape!
Protect Your Jackets with Outer Sleeves: Outer Sleeves will help protect against UV damage and ringwear.

I've got about 300 albums.

Currently have a nice system where I run them through the nitty gritty and then put them in a mofi inner and a new outer and then put them on the playable shelf.  About half of them are clean so far.  Would get through the rest of them sooner if I didn't keep buying new ones!!!

I use a modified/supported Expidit shelf from Ikea.  Works well!!  BTW...All 8 upper shelves are now filled and I have more in the cleaning queue in another room yikes.gif
20131203204351860.jpg

Thanks guys.

The Expidit works well and is solid, but I've seen some horrible pics online (google Expidit Album) showing what can happen when these things get overloaded.

So as a precaution, I put "L" brackets on the shelves for additional support and then added a 1/4" mdf board to the back.  My wife came up with the genius idea of painting the mdf board to match the wall so it still looks like it is a see-through cube.

The pic in post #18 has the board in place and painted to match the wall, and I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Found this also after a quick Google search if you are a DIY'er.........Before I bought one I took these plans to my local Lowes and they told me they would cut it for free. One sheet of plywood makes the whole thing.

RACKCONFIG2ASSM.jpg

audiokarma-wood-record-bin-plans.jpg
  • Thank You 1