Carver Fan, Looking For Help (eventually)

I've been into audio stuff for a while, heavily into it in the 90's with my car. Bought myself a PM-1.5t which I lent out and was never given back. Just found a 1.5t at a thrift store for $8. It works if you leave it on for about 1/2hr, but noisy A/F before that. Hoping to learn some stuff about this thing, and eventually bring it back to life.

• Thank You 14
  • That Rocks 2

Thanks for finding us. And you know, pop the top of that unit and take some in focus photos. We have a library of service manuals that may be of great help. What level of electronics experience do you have?

• Thank You 5

PM-1.5t are pro amps.  Most have had a very hard life doing service in clubs and bars.  @4krow gives good advice.  Pop the cover and take stock of what you have.  Be careful of what you touch.  Best to let it sit for about 30 minutes after you pull the plug to allow the capacitors inside to discharge.

Just in case you haven't found our library of manuals yet, look at the menu of items across the top of the home page.  Click on "Manuals and Specsheets". there you will find manuals for Carver, Phase Linear and Sunfire.  The PM-1.5 has an extensive section of service information and diagrams.

Welcome to the site.

• Thank You 4

• Community Admin

Welcome to the site, @Ett, glad you found us.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of your thrift shop find.

• Thank You 1

16 hours ago, 4krow said:

Thanks for finding us. And you know, pop the top of that unit and take some in focus photos. We have a library of service manuals that may be of great help. What level of electronics experience do you have?

I've quite a bit of experience with electrical repair (cars, home) and computers (replacing RAM slots type thing). I've repaired a fair amount of guitar amps, but mostly its just replacing switches and potentiometers, or fixing bad solder joints. I am comfortable with a soldering iron and hot air rework gun, and a family friend has a mountain of old diagnostic equipment (worked for the schoolboard, so oscilloscopes, frequency generators, variable power supplies, etc.).

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

6 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Welcome to the site, @Ett, glad you found us.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of your thrift shop find.

Because of a mixup, it accidentally got put in my sisters car and is now about 5 hours away, but it should be back soon. I promise I will snap some pics.

• Thank You 5

Welcome aboard.  Nice score at the Thrift store.  I never find anything like that.  You should be able to get the advice you need hear to bring it back up to snuff, if not even improve it!  Great bunch of peaple on this site that are will ing to share their experience and knowledge to help those in need.