Just signed up

Hello everybody, my name is Evan and I’m new here. I own an old Carver M400 in the champagne color that I’ve been trying to get working again. Hopefully I’ll be able to fix it with some help from you guys.

• Thank You 8
  • That Rocks 3

@Evancox  Welcome to The Carver Site.  We've got lots of info on the M-400.  Check out the service manual and it will provide a great overview of how the amp works along with trouble shooting tips.  In case you haven't found it yet, the manuals are along the top of the page under "Manuals and Specsheets".

The M-400 is one of the oldest Carver amps.  Give us an overview of your background and what kind of test equipment you have.  The M-400 is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle and not a great way to start your education, but it's been done. 

Give us a quick description of its condition and you will likely get tons of help.

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Welcome, @Evancox.  Glad you found us.  A wealth of information here on the site.  Check out the manuals, and service manuals on your 400.

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, wrf said:

@Evancox  Welcome to The Carver Site.  We've got lots of info on the M-400.  Check out the service manual and it will provide a great overview of how the amp works along with trouble shooting tips.  In case you haven't found it yet, the manuals are along the top of the page under "Manuals and Specsheets".

The M-400 is one of the oldest Carver amps.  Give us an overview of your background and what kind of test equipment you have.  The M-400 is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle and not a great way to start your education, but it's been done. 

Give us a quick description of its condition and you will likely get tons of help.

I own an oscilloscope, multimeter and variac. I have replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on the amp boards and power supply, I have replaced the diac, triac and Optocoupler, also replaced the -12v zener diode. The issue I’m having is getting the triac to fire like in the service manual. My amp has the first version of the power supply.

Edited by Evancox
  • Thank You 1