Columbia House. A child's 1st exposer to buying on credit. Join for a penny, existence not required.

Ar9Jim

I once got 12 albums for a penny using my cat's name.   (For years afterward we got junk mail addressed to "Ginger" Schieding.)  Once the time came for me to make the subsequently required purchases and I did not do so... the warning mails started coming....then phone calls.  Finally, my mom answered one of the calls and asked them "did you know you made a contract with a 14 year old boy and his cat?".  We never heard from them again. LOL.

Edited by Kurt
  • Thank You 5
  • Love this! 1
  • Haha 4

I liked them. Also BMG. 

I used to get their CD of the month; it broadened my exposure to different bands.  

I even did he reel to reel format. 

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

My dad and I signed up quite a few times. It was fine as long as you purchased the expensive album and then canceled. It was still worth it.

• Thank You 3

Yeah I remember Columbia House. Haven't thought about that in a long time. The first 10 albums for cheap was sweat. Then they started to shaft you on future purchases. I wonder how they ever made it.

• Thank You 2

I did Columbia house as a 12 or 13 year old. I was actually OK with it as I carefully looked at (and usually rejected) the next month's full price album. I think eventually they dropped me as I wasn't a profitable customer, lol

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Receiver2000 said:

But wasn't the deal that once you accepted the cheap albums, you agreed to buy a minimum number over the course of a year or something?

Yes, the two problems were that the rest of the albums were really expensive, and the choice wasn't that great. If I remember, you had to choose the full priced monthly albums from a small list.

Between Columbia House and BMG, I probably signed up 3-4 times over the years. Several times I just ignored the followup letters. I'm pretty sure CH dinged my credit back in the 80's.

• Haha 2

When I was in high school many of my friends did the Columbia House/BMG thing. We would trade records between us.  I got to listen to artists I wouldn’t have chosen. It worked for us. 

• Thank You 1