You cant keep a good man down ! Back from the dead !

Well its been over 10 year maybe more  since I have been on the site and posted. Many things have transpired some good some bad but we learn from the bad and remember the good. Maddmax  are you still crazy as ever?  LOL    I at one time had much Carver gear and have went through full cycle. I have had esoteric krell , Martin Logan, Magnepan Vandersteen, DCM TW1, TW3 ,Fritz Carbon 7, Klipsch , JBL, EV horns,... Sunfire , Sony ES,Harman Kardon,  Vintage Kenwood silver face gear !  ,,,

May a speaker has blessed this ear. but none have cursed me or blessed me as my old Carver Amazing Silvers.. I at one time had them bi amped way before Carver ever made it available .. I was in good coherts with a service tech and he sent me blueprints that were never released.. ( I think I made a deal with  Mad Maxx for  them)  I played with that ribbon and x over as much as any speaker. I ran a Clearview active crossover by Rudi Blondia (No longer being made) with the famed NHT 1259 in seperate 4 cabinet design. I had my ribbons in a zebra wood baffle  .. frustration and youth made me move on as the ribbons were non repairable and Carver had stopped making them. My connection had dried up

Well after many years I have acquired a set of OAK silver mark 4 that are in need of work. RIBBON work. Imagine that..Funny thing is through all my years I have always kept the Amazing in my thoughts. Along My travels I acquired a set of 50 inch BG ribbons. I was wondering if they would work .. I have all the skills to modify the cabinets.. 30 years of wood flooring and carpentry should help.. What I dont know is if the crossover or the blend will be fine.. I know I crossed my other silvers over at 200 to 250 hz with the active Clearview,,

Thanks and welcome back to an old friend! 

C.A.P

I 

Welcome to the forum C.A.P. You were probably thinking of Carver Audio 10 years ago since the Carver site! was established 12/20/08 and Carver Audio was established back in 2003 I think. If you were a regular over at CA there may still be some that remember you. Either way welcome aboard.

Welcome CAP!!

I have just started into the dimension that is the ribbon driver, so I will be little help here.  

There are some very very knowlegdeable people here regarding the genre, so be patient, and I'm sure there will be many good opinions on what you are trying to do.

Welcome, C A P! I've been on carveraudio since 2006. What was your original screen name?

The B&G ribbons would require a different passive crossover to work properly. You could use an active crossover & biamp using the B&G ribbons. Not sure if the result would be what you remember, as they DO sound different.

Gene it may have been, I remember not as well with the passing days.. However this seems to be the place to be for Carver gear .. and Carver knowledge !
No worries, looks like you registered over at CA 6/24/05 with 22 posts over there. Wow, yeah, you've been away for a while. happy0009.gif Glad you found this place too. msp_thumbup.gif

Welcome (back), C.A.P! emsmile.gif

I know it's been a while, but would you please take the time to tell us all about the two M-500t's you had custom anodized black? We'd be especially interested in any photos you had of them or the process. Thanks!

Welcome, Carver ribbons are available and have the magic that you seek like no other (actually I haven't heard the BGs ). James (Toymaker) builds them with Carver old stock. Glad you are here to join in! Stories and pictures man!

Silvers in oak, that was my first pair. Was smitten when first seeing them in black, but later, the dealer had only a pair in oak so home they went. Years later got the black Silvers from the same dealer during a going out of business sale. ALS hold a special place for me as well as you....and a bunch of us here. Glad you found them!  Welcome!

• Community Admin
Carver Amazings, are my best of the best.  I can relate.

Welcome to this place - looking forward to seeing / reading more.  Like Phil said, ...  Would like to learn more about the black anodizing on the 500t's.  Pictures and process?

Welcome to TheCarverSite.Party!

the two M-500t's you had custom anodized black? We'd be especially interested in any photos you had of them

WHAAAT custom black M500's I MUST SEE IT NOW!!!

(Sorry it has been a life long dream to have a black M500)

in Al Pacino voice from Scent of a Women.... "Im all warm and fuzzy inside" 

Actually guys I will have to dig deep on any pics as that was back in 03 04 when I did it..Over 5 laptops ago and a few crashes..  I can tell you they were drop dead sexy.. I had to have them stripped and re brushed . It was a delicate deal as the edges could not be rounded off.. I striped the faces down . The plastic lenses come of with a deft touch..there are two plastc grey side moldings IIRC that were tricky.. Id have to look at one..  The rack mounts were damn hard to do as they had to match grain pattern. Even Carver them selves suffered some leniations on that.. I had a buddy do them here..

I ended up selling them at a discount to a great guy somewhere  deep in the woods .. I cant remember the place but do remember him being a kind man that struck me as a hard working fellow with higher dreams than his pay provided, not by lack of desire but for his own sollice and peaceful desire to be free of the big city rush..

The BG 50 were never intended as a replacement as I have had them for a while.. The silvers in oak just came up.. Another buddy had them as a rebuild and just like me has one to many kettels in the fire..

OHH the stories .... Well lets see!  It started 30 years ago with car stereo speakers and ply wood boxes..and good old Pioneer and a BSR equalizer .. Then  when I walked into my friends brothers house and heard a pair of DCM TW3 through a M500t and a C4000t and was blown away.  I had to have that!

Much gear has passed these ears.. Twin M500t , DTL200mkII , tx-11a , c4000t
and of course THOSE DCM TW3  (man I loved them, Phase coherent x overs..It prolly why I love my Vandersteens)

I had to make a decision.. TOUGH one to.. I wasn't in the financial situation to  afford the Silvers out right.. They were still being sold at dealers.. I had to sell my beloved TW3 to finance the Amazing's .

Well I ran them with twin 500t bridged and had them bi wired with a active Clearview x over.. Rudi Blondia made them and it was night and day. Great product and if you can find one I highly recommend it..  I like all audio guys am always searching for the holy grail of sound. About that time there was this big rush of guys down under doing Carver ribbon with seprate 1259 subs .. Many articles were on the web of their praises..  I made custom 20x20 x20 sealed 1 inch thick mdf double stacked on the driver face as I wanted them solid.. Zebra wood veneer..  Man they were heavy with the drivers in.. I also made custom solid zebra wood baffles that were very simalar to the AL3 .. They did sound very good but am not sure it was worth the extra work and cost..  I was on a bass kick and wanted to shake the rafters.. They were mellow with a rolling type bass..
  Not my exact cup of tea..  At that time one of the ribbons started to buzz and I did the tighten trick till it gave up the game.. I was already onto MagnepanIIIa in the same room and can tell you this.. If you like Carvers YOU will like Magnepan..

I ran them  with a Sunfire original amp. It was actually Bobs demo amp that he sold to my buddy who worked at a audio store here...What a difference in power and cleanliness.. from the M500t( I may catch fire for this..)

Incomes the TRUE subwoofer.. I had to have that tiny cube that could shake the walls and it self loose.. Literally! Remember I was on a bass kick..  I ended up taking it apart and regluing the seams with a poly seam sel glue.. and drilled custom spikes as well made a top weight that screwed to the top like it was made and re sprayed it with a really nice texture paint.. WHAT a difference in bass.. NO more bunny hopping around the floor bass but dead fast punchy bass that kept up so well with the Maggies I had to get a set of Martin Logan Re quests.  I didnt take long to TOTALLY mod these. (Factory ones have solid wood going down the sides, I wanted a updated look) . There is the Zebra wood top to one of the 1259 subs ... It was being used as a table for parts at the time as I sold all carver parts.. Not to not be recycled  (I reused it for a Rythmik 15 inch Servo sub that rocked the house with HUGE pressure  20141226174156445.jpg

Did I say I was a bass head?

20141226172643358.jpg20141226172857514.jpg

20141226173400433.jpg
 This was a treat new panels and rebuilding the frames shortening them and bringing them forward of the bass section .. Really changed the sound They were powered by the Sunfire directly into a Theta Miles CD player.. Great sound and simple

Well  Now I was on my ESL kick and I fell into a deal as I was traveling to Kansas to work. I got a set of Walnut CLS that were the sales managers personal set.. 20141226173857702.jpgt a set of custom  I built custom stands and refinished the walnut in a hand rubbed oil look and ran them with my ESOTERIC stage of equipment.. That was my dedicated listening room that KICKED ass.. Those were world class speakers that needed world class current to drive them..    I miss them and do not want to talk about it now.. I did retain the electronics and cd player.. Sold the amp and still have plans for the CD player in my next big system  (Mono blocks , I am designing my own speakers that are going to be ... well AMAZING !)

After that system I ran a set of Fritz Carbon 7 as I was in a much smaller house and Fritz Heiler is a great guy.. They are fantastic 2 ways.. 
  Skip some time and many jbl , Klipsch KG4, and some Kenwood 9050 recievers as well as some Realistic Mach1 (See I am not a snob)  I run what sound good in that room be it rat shack to IRS V

Right now I just rebuilt every driver and had the xovers updated a pair of Vandersteen 2ci and LOVE them.. One of best  cone speakers I have had In my rooms.. (Sorry TW3 I still love you ) But RIGHT at this moment Eva Cassidy is right in my room through them  while I type.. I am running them through a HK intergrated amp 90 wpc and its really suprising at its clean power..

Now I have down sized as and housing restraints has me on hold for big dedicated rooms.. I told you I tried the vintage receiver  sound.. It was not my cup of tea.. However in my journeys I did become attached to the Sony ES line.. Their CD players  of the 91 to 95 era are truly hidden gems.. That coming from someone who owns a KRELL KPS25sc unit that retailed for well over 20k.. Im not saying  they come close to besting it but do a damn good job at their duty.. Dont waste your time unless its a copper chassis x series or cdpc 89 or 801 changer.. I have a totally re capped and re power boarded STRGX10es that was supposed to be less than 2000 made in ONLY North American market..
  It has a full copper plated chassis and is the last big dedicated  two channel receiver Sony ever made.. All analogue outputs no video switching that was happening in all receivers 20141226181339179.jpg

OK Fellas I think I took up some band with and your time.. I have many stories as I was able to travel with my old job wich was great.. I was able to see alot of the country and visit many audio dealers and demo many high end gear  .. Your allowed three good things in life.. A good dog, A good job, and a Good women!  I have had the job, and the dog..  ..  She said bad things about my TW3 so I dumped her

Merry Christmas to all  !

• Thank You 2