How many albums do you have?

Harryfan

Just curious. I'm too lazy to count, but I'm guessing I have about a thousand LPs, maybe 400-500 CDs. A lot more than most folks in my neighborhood, but probably about average for this forum, I'm guessing. Am I right? Any real addicts out there, with tens of thousands?

I started to think I have maybe approaching a thousand LP's, but then I remember that last summer I ran into a huge record shop closeout while home on vacation in KC. I bought a hundred exactly at a $1 each and it's stack wasn't that big versus what's on the shelfs. So I must surely top a 1000 then.

Several years ago, I burned most of my smooth jazz onto hard drive and that was right at 600 different CD's. I must have had another 100 I didn't do and I'm sure I've added a couple hundred more since. My wife always says, "don't 'cha have enough yet?" And I'd say I have as many more in other genre's and then a bunch of specific broadcast collection ones that have a individual singles instead of whole album releases. Might be approaching a 2000 total.

And I've also got a pretty big batch of 45's. Mostly 80's pop. Maybe 500 or so. They sure are fun to once and a while go through!

A prize I've hung onto for a long time is the original pressings for broadcast of the LP's sent to stations to air the King Biscuit Flower Hour. If you don't remember that show, it was a several hour live recorded show that usually aired on a weekend night on rock stations. Must have a couple dozen or so of which one of my favorites is Jethro Tull.

Sometimes wonder what the wife will do with all this stuff some day!!

Mark

About ~100 LP's (sold a bunch to the last standing "record store" in our area about 15 years ago that I had on CD and thus "did not need" any longer! Just for the "cover art"/liner notes I wish I had kept them - except if I ever move again!). About a 100 or so "60's" 45's....lonely and pitiful these! I REALLY have to be in a fucked up nostalgic mood to drag them out! About ~300 CD's. Wish I had the energy to "organize" everything onto harddrive and fill in the "gaps" in my collection (mostly would like to have a 100% complete collection of all of the 50's and early 60's music that I "grew up with". But happy to just add a little bit here and there plus whatever new shit that comes along (Dylan has a new CD; some old country stuff that's "new to me", e.g.). For example, I just bought (from oldies.com) one of those 10 CD "history of rock" TV infomercail collections for....$23.59! Great reduction from the infomercial price of like $100! Lot of great early sixties stuff on these 10 CD's!

About 400 albums and around 500+ CD's, actually probably a lot more CD's as I have several copys of most of my favoritess, 1 for car, 1 for work trk., 1 for boat, and I have 3 systems setup in house.

Yes, "Too Much Is Not Enough", know what you mean SteveF...

• 5 months later...
And then there is the question "How do you organize your large collections of LPs or CDs?"

That is a problem to figure out!  I just did some organizing and cut down some on the number of seperated CD's.  I did have a seperate section for several different labels.  I still have my Reference Recordings CD's seperate but several that were all Jazz, I just went ahead and put them in with the rest of the Jazz in alphabetical order by artist.  But I still have Rock/Pop in a section, Country in a section and Jazz in a section. 

But I also added a segment to both LP's and CD's...Dead People!  This is in 'honor' of one of the guys that says he only listens to dead people...meaning way older music like from the 40's and 50's.  So I put the older stuff in a section and actually made a label for the LP shelf that said "Dead People".  Taz.gif

Here is what my music storage looks like.  The shot cuts off one identical CD rack to the right of the right most one.  45's in the top rows above the LP's.  Jazz in the shorter DIY CD rack.  The right rack and the one not shown I picked up recently at Best Buy.  Should have probably build a entire new set myself, but didn't want to take the time.
Photobucket

Mark

.....That is a problem to figure out!  I just did some organizing and cut down some on the number of seperated CD's......

jaw_dropper.gif  Looks like you're a candidate for ripping to a music server mark!

• 4 months later...
I finally got around to my New Year's Resolution: buy fewer CDs and more new vinyl!  Two albums a week at a minimum.

I just picked up some:

Focus

Jan Akkerman

Joe Cocker and

PJ Harvey.

Boy my collection is tiny compared to what some of you guys have. I have about 100 CD's and growing and about 40 LP's. I had other interests for about 15-20 years,didn't have a decent sound room so I have just started buy music again since I have joined the forum.  The great people here are the ones that got my interests going in music again.  Have been buying 4-5 new CD's a week for the last 6 months or so.

About 100 LPs and 200 CD's.

I once go stupid 15 years ago too and sold about 100 LPs for no other reason than I didn't have room. Glad I kept what I still have.

Howdy folks. This looked like a good topic to jump in to so here goes.

I'm new to this forum but I've been collecting (and playing) music since the mid 60's.
There is a gap in my collection from the early 90's to the mid 00's after I "settled down".
(Translation: I got married, started a family and had much less "disposable" income.)

Anyway my music collection consists of (roughly estimated):
Vinyl: 2,500 LPs, 300 78s (mostly old jazz) and 200 45s (mostly 60's rock)
Tape: 200 open reels, 500 cassettes and 200 8-tracks (all of the 8-tracks are playable!)
Digital: 50 DATs, 1,500 CDs and 150 music DVDs

Here are some really bad photos of part of my collection.
(One of these days I'll have to borrow some flood lights and do it right..)
20100318001022915.jpg20100317235918579.jpg

My MFSL and 1/2 speed masters are at the bottom of the equipment rack.
(The rest of my vinyl is packed away as is most of my tape collection.)
That's a Marshall 8100 1/2 stack with my Gibson GK-55 in the far right corner.

The opposite wall is covered floor-to-ceiling, end-to-end with solid oak bookcases.
I use them to store books, photo albums, video tapes (VHS and Beta) and DVD's.

What do you think?

Thanks for the warm welcome gents. Nice to see familiar "faces" (BillD, TNRabbit).

Yes, I shudder at the thought of having to move all my toys, again.
Hopefully that will not be necessary but I'd never leave them behind.
I still have all the original equipment boxes and packaging just in case,
but the real hassle is not packing but reorganizing everything after the move.