I am new to the Carver site and I am a small collector

I was asked to show a couple of my systems by another member. Here they go! This setup powers a pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers on my deck.

MX-40 Yamaha amp and C-80 Preamp plus Kenwood 900 tuner
  • Cool
20140506070734594.jpg
  • Thank You 1

Nice gear Kmh! Vinyl aficionados here will asking about that turntable and what spins on it. How did you come by your setup?
  • Thank You 1

Reply to dci,

I have bought at least a dozen or so turntables off ebay. At least half have come in poorly packed and broken and ruined. All required a complete going through cleaning off the old solidified grease and re lubed. I love to buy the belt drive turntables most just need a belt and lube of course. That is if the idiot packed it right and didn't just throw it in a box with some wadded up newspaper. I have seen it too many times.

The Carver 500t with the C1 preamp and Carver tx-11tuner has a nice Sansui model SR 636 direct drive turntable. Interesting story on that one. It was another ebay find. It was delivered by UPS and I picked up the box and all I heard was rattles in a box with NO packing material. Opened the box and could have cried. It was a box of broken dust cover and turntable parts every where. I took pictures and got my money back. However I went ahead and tried to fix the motor which would run badly. I took the motor out and disassembled it. It used a very thin wheel with 120 or so slits it in that ran through a optical sensor to constant adjust the speed against a quartz reference. The wheel was bent and a couple of the slits broken. I carefully straightened the wheel by had and put it back in the motor and put the motor back together and crossed my fingers. I turned the table on and bam it was showing the right speed on the strobe. Now I went to to realign the cartridge, balance the tone arm and set the anti skating and stylus pressure. I put and album on and it sounded great! I did have to take all the pieces of the dustcover got some plastic cement and after a ton of work glued it back together. No the dust cover is not pretty but the piano black turntable and shiny tone arm make it much better! Picture to follow.

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us and decided to join in on the fun.
Thanks for the pictures, you've got some very nice systems there, what bands/artists and types of music do you listen to ? 
Enjoy the site...............

• Community Admin
Welcome to the forum. You are in the right place. Many of us have multiple systems for multiple rooms.  For Carver hoarding, we call it OCCD (Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder)..., your gear and affinity for putting things back together seem to indicate you have recessive (soon to be exposed) OCCD !Party!

I can totally relate to the shipping debacle. I have no idea how people accepting money for an item, can think it's going to make it across the country in a box, without padding.  I'm rebuilding a Kenwood 5700 turntable, and its mass alone ripped up the cover.  I have two Elac TT's that were actually stacked on top of each other for shipping, and the tonearms came in looking like pretzels.  

Welcome to the forum. You'll like it here. 

Repaired Sansui SX 636 turntable I have another Kenwood the one with the concrete plinth and another parts unit in the basement on my to do list. I bought a couple of the Audio Technica AT LP120's. I was a little disappointed in the sound. Too much wow and flutter. The first thing I did on them was change the stock cartridge out to a better ones with elliptical styli. The vintage belt drive turntables are hard to beat. Although the Sansui 636 direct drive is very quiet. I have a couple of belt drive JVCs that are nice sounding as well.

5a8d9c72daee4_P5060405(640x480)(580x435).jpg.30b8df85f91973d3aa32ca5a8c837550.jpg

5a8d9c7308717_P5060405(640x480)(580x435).jpg.2eff72c26e04bde8522fda0b03c0424f.jpg

Sit down pull up a chair you'll fit right in to your new online home! LOL. Our OCCD support group is no help! I've doubled my amp collection! Not to mention the increases in the LAB equipment.

More like whispers in your ear, Buy that you'll be happy, infact buy two!

Regards

James

• Thank You 1

Howdy Kmh3212 and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board. Hope you stick around a while.

Thanks for not making us beg for photos. I like your "casually arranged piles of vintage gear" philosophy! party.gif 
  • Thank You 1