Hello from Toole, Utah

• 10 months later...

Hello again to all the fine members here.  I want to start by apologizing to you for my disappearing act last fall. Shortly after I joined here, by wife of 41 years became sick again. She was in cancer remission, but this last bout was more than she could bear, and she passed on in March. My life has been a blur for the last half year, but one of the things that's kept me sane and quite honestly alive, is the ability to lose myself in music for hours at a time. I joined a support group of sorts, with a few other old timer widows like myself, and that's help some too. Coincidentaly, one of the guys in the group has an old pair of Polk speakers very similar to mine, but they are not working, they have very scratchy sound out of one of the 6" woofers. I told him I know a guy that can probably fix them, but I have looked high and low and I cannot find Mark's number at my house. I have messaged him here, but I have not heard back from him.  He goes by "daddyjt" here.  Is there anyone here that knows his number and can either share it with me, or does anyone here have a way to contact him and let him know that I am trying to reach him?  I would appreciate it, as I would like to help my friend get his speakers running.

Thank you, and I'll try to be a regular member from now on.

Brian

• Sad 1

Dang dude!  Toole is only about a half hour from me here in West Bountiful, Utah! 

Man it's great to have another Utahn in here.  @69Chevelle is from up North in Syracuse along with @Daddyjt.

Thought this was a new post, then realized it was an older revived posting.

So sorry for your loss Brian. 

Edited by Turbo
Added detail
  • Thank You 1

I'm so sorry @Bwest- having gone though essentially the same thing as you, in the same time frame (lost my wife the end of April), really I feel for you.  The group, here were my saving grace.

Someone, here will likely be able to get ahold of Mark for you.  He had been bouncing around the country with travelling jobs for a bit.  Good luck getting your friend's Polks patched up and singing, again.

In the mean time, take care, and if you need someone to commiserate with, don't hesitate to get in touch.

• Love this! 2
  • Sad 1

Hey Brian-

Sorry to hear of your loss but happy that you are here with us. It's such a great group of guys. I wish that you all were in my town so we could meet up for beers and talk stereo and music. But I guess that's the reason for this great Carversite.

Dale

• Love this! 3

Thank you RodH for reaching out to Mark - we spoke this morning.  He said the scratchy sounding woofer is probably because of magnet shift.  This is a common problem with the old Polk woofers he said.  He told me to remove the woofer and look for a model number on the back, and that he even has some spares, so we need to see if he has a match. I told him that I wasn't sure if I was comfortable doing that, so he said he'd send me some pictures tonight of what to do and what to look for.

BrianHHH, I am so sorry to hear that you've had to go through the same thing that I have. My feelings swing all over the place.  Some days I can't even find joy in anything, and some days I almost forget she is gone.  I know that sounds crazy, but I'm so used to her being the the living room reading, that I just expect her to be there in her chair when I walk into the room, then when she's not there it hits me, and it's like I'm losing her al over again.  Sorry for rambling, but maybe it makes sense to you.

thank you again everyone. 

• Sad 2

Glad you did come back, @Bwest - you have my admiration for hanging in there as well as you are. 

I'm doing okay - I had a lot more time to "prepare" over all, and several months towards the end when she wasn't home any more, which meant it wasn't as .  That said, what you describe about your feelings is absolutely 100% the same here.   From everyone I know who have been through it, at least the first year is going to be rough, for sure.  After that you hopefully start coming to terms with it, but, well, there really aren't any words - just know I get it, and nothing you feel is wrong - it all shows how much you cared, and still do.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat - I'm also happy to call and give you my number, though a heads-up I'm North of the border from you, so we I'm happy to put things on my nickel for calls - my long distance plan covers the US.  :-)   

For now, keep putting one foot in front of the other, and know you were there through when it mattered most.  

• Thank You 2