New music you’d like to share.

Daddyjt

Nils Lofgren, Mountains was released on July 21, 2023.

"The latest, Mountains, doesn't stray far from his musical patterns: loosely wound roots rock laced with the folk, blues and R&B traditions of the '60s. Lofgren is a product of his generation, and at 72 he's not throwing too many curves against those expectations. Old friends Young and Starr drop by, and so do David Crosby (who died in January) and jazz great Ron Carter, providing a backdrop for songs about political upheaval, love connections and another late rock 'n' roll icon, Charlie Watts."

You can read the rest of the review here...

For Barry...

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Gov't Mule, Peace... Like A River was released on June 13, 2023.

"...the album never gets lost in pointless pyrotechnics or overstays its welcome. The instrumental excursions are tightly-focused and serve the songs, covering everything from psychedelia and riff-driven blues rock to funk and soul with concise finesse.

With Heavy Load Blues being my favorite album of 2021, my expectations for Peace…Like A River were quite high. To merely say that they have been met would be an understatement. Boasting sharp songwriting, tight arrangements, and stellar musicianship, Peace…Like A River is excellent and ranks among Gov’t Mule’s best works. Highly recommended."

You can read the rest of the review here...

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

• 1 month later...

Joanne Shaw Taylor, Nobody's Fool was released on October 28, 2022. 

"Nobody’s Fool is Joanne Shaw Taylor’s 10th album since 2009’s White Sugar. The album was produced by the team of Joe Bonamassa and Josh Smith and is released digitally on October 28th on Keeping the Blues Alive Records. It will also be released in CD form in the UK in November and released worldwide on vinyl in December. Prior to the album’s debut, two singles from it were released. The first was “Fade Away” and the second was the title song “Nobody’s Fool.”"

I know this one is almost a year old, but I just discovered it, and when I heard this title track and the album's produced by Joe Bonamassa, on his label, and with him playing on Won't Get Fooled Again... Yeah, it just belongs.

• Thank You 2

Mammoth WVH, Mammoth II (Wolfgang Van Halen) was released on August 4, 2023.

"On his second album as Mammoth WVH, Wolfgang Van Halen once again goes the one-man-band route, writing and performing all the songs. Mammoth II doesn't move far from the basic outline of 2021's self-titled debut, checking off boxes in the starting-gun riffs, easily digestible lyrics and impassioned vocals categories. There's not a lot of originality here, but there isn't much to dislike either. As far as torch-carrying goes, Van Halen does the family name proud."

• 2 months later...

Dolly Parton, Rockstar was released on November 17, 2023.

"Parton’s own songs are great and her voice is still strong and characterful, but it often doesn’t suit these rock covers aided by stars from Paul McCartney to Lizzo.

Dolly Parton has done it all. She has asserted her primacy over the reactionary forces of Nashville’s music industry, sold 100m records, written umpteen classic songs, broken into Hollywood, opened her own amusement park and had a species of lichen, a Soviet battle tank and a cloned sheep named in her honour. It’s a delightful, fully deserved state of affairs, but it comes with a problem attached: what do you do next?

Her 49th solo album attempts to answer this question. Rockstar came about when Parton was nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She first declined to be inducted, saying she was a country artist, then reconsidered, announcing she would record a rock album to justify her inclusion."

For me, this album is a letdown. Don't get me wrong, Dolly Parton is an incredibly talented performer, whether it be singing, acting, or folksy humor.  I just like her country albums much more, and I have to agree with the reviewer's first sentence.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Not necessarily new, they've been around a while......but new to me.  I've been listening to this band a bit lately.  I really like the "new old" sound these guys have... bluesy, raw.  This is one of my favorite songs..... and the video is easy on the eyes, too :).

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Timba MM, Outstanding was released on August 27, 2021. 

"Outstanding’ blends inspired Cuban music with a melange of jazz, samba, flamenco and world music of the Americas. Timba MM is a Montreal-based group of new generation Cuban-style musicians formed in 2012.

The aim of ‘Timba MM’ (pronounced ‘Timba emmay emmay’) is to introduce music lovers to new Latin rhythms emerging in the current day that are not yet widely explored outside Cuba’s frontiers. "

I just discovered this one, and it plays very well with my Martin Logans. 

• 1 month later...

Robin Trower, Joyful Sky was released on October 27, 2023.

"Working for the first time in his distinguished career with a female vocalist, Trower even rebuilt his song craft to suit the smoky power of (Sari) Schorr. The result is ten infectious and stunningly smoldering Trower originals that mark him as one of the great string benders, although the blues still underpins everything he does."

Don't miss this one folks. It will get heavy rotation here for a while.

• That Rocks 1

Orchestral Manoeuvers in the Dark, Bauhaus Staircase was released on October 27, 2023.

"So is the new OMD record any good? Emphatically, yes, of course it is. In fact, in some places it is utterly spellbinding in its understated beauty. The great thing about this album is that it does not sound laboured at all – each of the 12 tracks is perfectly executed, arranged and produced. Every track – bar one – is less than four minutes in length (most have a duration of around three minutes). That is a measure of how concise the editing is here. Nothing sticks around long enough to gather moss or become tired."

The electronic folks will most likely love this one. For me, this will get played a few times, and then relegated back to the shelf with the other OMD discs. YMMV

Joe Bonamassa, Blues Deluxe Volume 2 was released on Oct. 6, 2023.

"Bonamassa doesn’t waste any time reminding us what a supremely talented guitarist he is. His take on “Twenty-four Hour Blues”, originally recorded by Bobby “Blue” Bland, is full of those OMG moments that blues-guitar fans live for. Bonamassa’s early mentor, Danny Gatton, was reputedly obsessed with dialing in the perfect tone, and JB was obviously an attentive acolyte. The sustain and clarity he achieves on the treble strings is extraordinary, and there’s a shimmer of echo at the end of his ascending licks that’ll send shivers down your spine. JB covered Bland’s “I Don’t Believe” back in 2006 on his You & Me album, so this latest tribute is further evidence of his abiding regard for one of his most important influences."

My thoughts... It's Bonamassa, 'nuff said :D

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Four80East, Gonna Be Alright was released on August 25, 2023.

"The tenth album from this Toronto based groove duo, Four80East. With an eclectic mix of neo-jazz, Gonna Be Alright serves up a infectious mix of soul, funk and jazz groovers to follow-up their 2022 release Straight Round."

You can read this review (and buy the CD) here...

If you like smooth jazz or groove jazz, you'll probably like this one.

• Love this! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Euge Groove, Comfort Zone was released on August 25, 2023.

"Growing out of a collaboration with regular contributors Cornelius Mims and keyboard player Tracy Carter his latest project is ‘Comfort Zone’. It follows his 2020 outing ‘Sing My Song’ and is an outstanding set of ten original compositions that confirm his place at the top table of contemporary jazz sax players."

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

Brian Simpson, Soul Connection was released on June 26, 2023.

"The celebrated and genre-bending pianist, composer and producer has long reigned as a guiding light on the Contemporary Jazz scene. Revered for his Midas touch, Simpson’s trademark sound is known for soul-stirring love songs, hit-making party anthems and emotive and captivating melodies. June 16, 2023, Brian Simpson makes a Soul Connection on his eleventh album as a leader and eighth for Shanachie Entertainment. The anticipated recording is the perfect amalgamation of influences that are close to Simpson’s heart: Jazz, R&B, Funk, Blues and Soul and a healthy dose of optimism. His eloquent touch, sophisticated harmonic sensibility and bluesy overtones shine on each of the album’s ten tracks."

• Love this! 1

Michael Lington, Looking Ahead was release on May 12, 2023.

"'Looking Ahead’ is quickly up and running with one of two singles already serviced to radio, the mellifluous yet edgy  ‘Moon Goddess’. The song represents a first-time collaboration with fellow saxophonist David Mann who he first met back in 1998 towards the tail end of his years touring with the late Bobby Caldwell. Lington’s second radio ready number is the funked up ‘Play’ that finds him working with fellow sax star Darren Rahn for a number that owes much to Paul Jackson Jr’s blistering guitar licks and the rock solid platform afforded by bass player Mel Brown and drummer Tarell Martin."

• Thank You 2

7 minutes ago, Receiver2000 said:

Very nice and upbeat and not unlike The Rippingtons.

The Hepcat looks mighty familiar. :D 

• Thank You 1

@Sk1Bum @Receiver2000 Ok, after seeing all this great new music I added more shelves to my storage rack. Broke out the table saw and added two new shelves of storage; about 110 cd capacity,  to handle the influx of tunes.

Also freed up space for more vinyl records.

Will start off with  the Trilogy 1 and 2. Looking for #3 to complete the hat trick.

Thanks Richard, and Dale!