Greetings from Canberra, Australia

Brand new forum member here.

I purchased my first Carver amp, a second hand M-200T, back in 1990 and I was hooked. I still own it but I have not used it since 2002 when it was replaced with an A-753x.

Despite the A-753x still working perfectly, last month I decided to upgrade to a Sunfire TGA-7401-230.

The rest of my system is a Frankenstein setup of mainstream components, mainly due to the excessive cost of high end equipment in Australia. Some of the better components I have:

Rotel RCD-855 CD player I have owned since new. Still works faultlessly.

Thorens TD-160 Super turntable with Rega RB300 arm and Adcom MC cartridge. I also got this new in the late 1980's and still works but rarely gets played due to my replacing my LPs with CDs over the years.

Speakers: Vaf DC-X mains, Vaf DC-6 centre, Vaf DC-2 rears, Vaf DC-1 used as front Atmos and a Monitor Audio ASW-210 subwoofer. Vaf is an Australian brand that produced both kit and complete speakers since the mid 90s. My speakers were kits and while they look quite bland, they sound amazing for the price. The have a great soundstage and sound better than a lot of more expensive brands. 

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

Welcome.jpg.0b5a268f40777a7b1e7c05f13cfdbe18.jpg

Welcome to the site!  Great to see someone from outside N.A. joining!

There's nothing Frankenstein about picking and choosing the best options for you.  Most of us have "ecletic" collections of gear, and yours looks great.

Once you get a few more posts & responses under your belt, we'd love to see some pictures.  :)

For now, join in the fun, and remember to enjoy the music!

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

1 minute ago, itchitch said:

Welcome to the site!

I have found that amp to be a solid performer in my home theater.

Runs cool and is very powerful.

I have found the same thing, it runs really cool. In fact it runs cooler than my Marantz SR5015 feeding it even though the Marantz is effectively only a processor/pre-amp. I also find that while tonally similar to the Carver, it is a little cleaner with instruments being better separated and placed around the soundstage. However, that could be just down to the age of the Carver.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, mddawson said:

In fact it runs cooler than my Marantz SR5015

The Marantz amps are not the major source of heat. It's the processors for the HDMIs ....

I use a Marantz 7702 mkII in my system. It gets hot! This has affected it's performance - some glitchiness.

I ended up buying a nice little fan unit for it:     AIRCOM FAN

• Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, itchitch said:

The Marantz amps are not the major source of heat. It's the processors for the HDMIs ....

I use a Marantz 7702 mkII in my system. It gets hot! This has affected it's performance - some glitchiness.

Thanks for the tip. I will need to keep an eye out for any glitches during our summer later this year.

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the site from the land down under! It is nice to hear from someone that far away that loves Carver gear and other brands as well! Most of us here have mixed systems, some have pure Carver setups as well. Glad you found us and we hope you enjoy the site!…..grin

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
20 hours ago, mddawson said:

In fact it runs cooler than my Marantz SR5015 feeding it even though the Marantz is effectively only a processor/pre-amp.

Welcome to the site.  We LOVE pictures !

I have the Marantz 5014, and it gets wonky when hot..., 

I run it through carver amps, using it only as an AV preamp.

• Thank You 2

Hello mddawson, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

I saw the pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. The Thorens is a great turntable. 

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 2:00 AM, itchitch said:

I purchased an Aircom T9 online and it arrived today.

Update:
The Aircom wobbled a little (not sure if it was the Aircom or the top of the Marantz that is not level) so I put 4 layers of tape under the offending foot.
I also read a review that pointed out that the gap between the Aircom and the AV receiver reduces its efficiency and suggested sealing that gap.
I used some foam sealing tape and I can now really feel the air being drawn into the Marantz.

Thanks for the tip.

DSC00420.JPG

Edited by mddawson
  • That Rocks 2