Hi everyone.   I’ve worked for the railroad for 30 years and travel almost weekly from Birmingham AL to Everett WA.  After modifying a PL 400II from the help of the Phoenix Audio community, I desired to try a Carver M 1.5t amp from my uncle’s basement.   Will see if this will be easier or cheaper then my flame amp.   Thanks

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

Welcome, @RBQ.  That PL400II is a nice amp.  The m1.5t will be a different but also excellent experience.   Your ears will tell you which you prefer.

I have a Carver C-400, which is similar to the PL, but was the first amp Carver Corp put out after Bob Carver reformed post PL.  I like it.  and also like my m1.5's.

OCCD is a disease that keeps many amps in the stable for different interests your own ears may demand.

Looking forward to learning how your project to refresh your 1.5t amp goes.  Please post!  (and we like pictures !!)

Oh, lots of good guys from PL days on that Phoenix site.  Glad you found it, and glad you found us too.

Welcome!

• Thank You 1

Welcome @RBQ!

You might want to research the MKII upgrade for your M-1.5t from Nelion Audio.

Did you do the WOPL modification your  PL 400 II?

Both are nice amps! Good luck with your upgrade/refurb project.

What AJ said....well love pictures

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Dennis47 said:

Welcome @RBQ!

You might want to research the MKII upgrade for your M-1.5t from Nelion Audio.

Did you do the WOPL modification your  PL 400 II?

Both are nice amps! Good luck with your upgrade/refurb project.

What AJ said....well love pictures

Thanks Dennis.  Yeah I had a great experience with White Oak doing the WOPL mod.   Thanks for the M1.5t info 

• Thank You 1

Welcome.jpg.96c84ed9fee31e62ed379c0accb31c2e.jpg

Welcome, @RBQ!  That's quite the commute!

I can't offer any guidance, "under the hood,"  but you are definitely in the right place to find people who can.

It's also far too late to warn you of the perils of OCCD, so I'll just welcome you to that club, too!  That is something I understand (far too well) and can provide encouragement for! :D

• Thank You 1

Hello RBQ, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Let's see:

1. Warn about OCCD -- check

2. Ask for pics -- check

I've heard a lot of good things about the WOPL Phase Linear amps, but I've never had the chance to listen to one. One of our members, @Bonzoro used to be active in that Phoenix Audio group, and a big fan of the WOPL mods. 

Now that you've reached Novice status, you should be able to upload pics. If you do, please place pics or your gear in the Members Systems area.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Community Admin
23 hours ago, RBQ said:

Yeah I had a great experience with White Oak doing the WOPL mod. 

Welcome again, @RBQ.

Well, I should share..., (been just slow at posting a thread on this...) but...,   A friend on the Phoenix site helped me WOPL my Carver Corp., C-500.  Very similar to the PL400, but with an extra row of transistors.  Fun project..., if I ever get spare time to organize all the photos, I may post a thread.  But, to be sure, a WOPL C-500 is one rare and interesting piece in my collection.

WOPL folks were very good to work with.   ...oh, and yes, don't forget the DC Protection module... 😉 

OK, realizing I'm the kettle calling the pot black, here..., a photo of proof that my C-500 WOPL exists...

Looking forward to seeing your photos of your rig, too.

411775640_C500Internal.thumb.jpg.8e6ae593a5bb2ed311573bd9677e5dfa.jpg

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

55 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

Welcome again, @RBQ.

Well, I should share..., (been just slow at posting a thread on this...) but...,   A friend on the Phoenix site helped me WOPL my Carver Corp., C-500.  Very similar to the PL400, but with an extra row of transistors.  Fun project..., if I ever get spare time to organize all the photos, I may post a thread.  But, to be sure, a WOPL C-500 is one rare and interesting piece in my collection.

WOPL folks were very good to work with.   ...oh, and yes, don't forget the DC Protection module... 😉 

OK, realizing I'm the kettle calling the pot black, here..., a photo of proof that my C-500 WOPL exists...

Looking forward to seeing your photos of your rig, too.

Unfortunately i learned the hard way about the speaker protection circuit even though its everywhere out there on the web. 

Picture3.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Picture5.jpg

• That Rocks 2