A New Sonic Hologram Generator is coming from Bob Carver.

Customers keep asking and we hear you. 

The concept is a C9 type stand alone component with black steel chassis and machined aluminum faceplate styled like the V12- RAM 285, with radiused corners and round selector buttons.

So far popular request have been to include selector switches to add or defeat an onboard Gundry filter and tube buffer to the SH unit. It would have 3 options that could be used individually or all at once.

What are your thoughts? Do you want to see tubes poking out the black top with some copper cages? Also a pair of vu meters was suggest as an option. They would serve no real purpose other than cosmetics. Thoughts.

The target price is $499.

Edited by Ar9Jim
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 2

@Ar9Jim tubes poking out the top would be my vote as long as the mounting facilitated easy removal. Adding on that good looking cage would be sweet.

Could you have push button type similar to what will be on the RPM V12?

I would personally and I think @ChrisTFM35 would like to have a new modern day DTL.

• Thank You 3

1 hour ago, BobTFM35 said:

@Ar9Jim tubes poking out the top would be my vote as long as the mounting facilitated easy removal. Adding on that good looking cage would be sweet.

Could you have push button type similar to what will be on the RPM V12?

I would personally and I think @ChrisTFM35 would like to have a new modern day DTL.

Hi Bob,

Yes, it will have the radius countersinks with round push buttons similar to V12. Thanks

Edited by Ar9Jim
  • Thank You 3

I really like the idea of an updated C-9 with Gundry filter. 

My 2 cents, i'm not crazy about tubes sticking out of the top (although I could live with it). Items projecting from the top limit the user to placing them on top of the stack; like a turntable, reel to reel or top loading cassette. Mind you, it wouldn't be all that bad, as you could place it on the top of a mini-stack on a middle shelf.

I'm definately interested in the V-12 when its released. I'd also buy a new SH processor. 

• Thank You 4

Nice to hear! Sonic Holography is such a groundbreaking and legacy technology of Bob Carver that it seems like it should be in the product line (and maybe built-in to the RPM V12?) 

And while on the topic of some of Bob Carver's amazing IP, I think the Peak Unlimiter is another tech that would be worthwhile to consider including. Even though most recordings today are direct digital, a lot of it is still pretty aggressively compressed for broadcast or simply in anticipation of miserable playback environments. Plus, true audiophiles (who are likely purchasers of the new Carver products) are playing lots of legacy media which would benefit from this tech. I'm restoring a C-4000 right now and I'm more and more impressed with the PU in this unit. It's subtle but I like the effect.

I haven't heard the Gundry filter in operation so can't really speak to it. But I have no problems at all with the original SH frequency response.

Personally, I'm a solid-state fan and don't care about tubes or meters although I know many people like them for various reasons. But I can see the marketing benefit to have all current products visually coordinated.

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 2

I had a Black Ice Audio unit designed by 'whats his name' famous guy oh yah Jim Fosgate. It had some of the same ideas of the C-9 and as I have already mentioned a variable control for the hologram effect. It wasn't called that, I believe that it was a soundstage enhancer. The reason I am so adamant about this idea is because I was surprise at just how little that I have to turn the knob to get effect. Turned the other way past the center point detent, the sound stage would start to narrow. Interesting. Yes, it is an apples and oranges comparison to some degree but the variable control is what sold me. It also had a tube buffer, and for some reason bass adjustment was also variable. Most people liked it but I didn't use that part.

FWIW, I still preferred the C9. That was not much of a surprise as I have heard other units of this type and the C9 is the clear winner.

• Thank You 4

While I guess it's important for a unit like this to share styling with the other products, it will be purchased by people who have no intention of purchasing the amp or preamp. I'd guess this was the same story for the original C-9? Many were sold to people who did not buy Carver preamps? 

Like the C-9 it should fit in a 1U rack space. Rack mount ears would be a simple option, no need for a dedicated rack mount face. Tubes seem completely unnecessary, and meters on a pre-amp make no sense and will only drive up costs. Make it simple. The suggested switching options sound good.

• Thank You 5

• Community Admin

Alternative to tubes sticking out the top with a cage, would be to put a window on the faceplate, a la Sunfire VTCC.

My thinking is that this unit has to be "sexy" to reignite the fervor that the original C-9 had - it was the highest volume, and highest profit Carver Corp product ever sold.  I don't think that it will get off the ground at all, if it is just a reincarnation of the original.  

If identical to the original, it will compete with $100 used C-9's on ebay..., Not a good strategy.

People who try a tube buffer rave about them..., And, Bob Carver Corp already announced a "Tube-based" Sonic holography device..., so having a tube buffer is somewhat of an easy-to-implement (using knock-off Music Fidelity units from Asia) so pundits won't poo-poo the unit, when launched.  

Meters are sexy, and while add no sonic value, are extremely inexpensive to implement a la the "carpenter builds an amp" thread last week.  No one can deny the "love them factor" that meters have on the 500t 😉   I just think that compared to all the black-box-style enclosure components in people's rigs, these days (endpoints, DACs, etc.) Having meters on the face of this unit are like a sunroof in a car.  They become a "gotta' have it" item, when given the choice - and therefore will likely drive sales volume.

I have not found a "combo unit" that implements these three things..., (SH, Gundry, Tube Buffer) in an elegant way - and this unit could replace a lot of clutter in a lot of people's systems.

And, of course, this has to get to market FAST..., can't be a 2+ year thing like the 285 or the V12...

Make it simple, make it sexy, and ship it fast... 😉 

• Thank You 5
  • Love this! 2

Fortunately, there are a variety of small tubes out there to use if space were an issue. I forget the number, but Vincent used small, and i mean small tubes in some of their equipment. Then of course, for those that know me, The Korg SP1 is quite the DHT choice to use. So many of my customers are very surprised by its full sound. Honestly though I wonder if the need for a tube buffer is necessary. I would see a case for having a switch for in or out of circuit here. Of course, same with the Gundry. I am not a big fan of this circuit but I can say that there are those cases where it has a use.

I do agree with making some changes in the new model, and I really like the idea that the chassis would be bigger as it would make fitting all the other stuff in much easier. FWIW, the second iteration of the C-9 way back in the day had bolt on rack handles that could be added to the chassis, but I have never, ever seen any.

• Thank You 5

JIm,

I am interested in the product and would like to see some renderings of it like the amps that people can critique.  Tubes sticking up and out like amps........dare I say.....sexy?

It would match well with the other tube gear.......😂

• Thank You 3

Another vote for Peak Unlimiter and Digital Time Lens. There is scant information about both inventions, but both work amazingly well. I use them daily.

Also in heavy use is the Autocorrelator. 

Make a box with as many of Bob's creations as possible.

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 1
  • Haha 1

That sounds like another challenge altogether. 

I am not so sure if the Digital Time Lens is as useful as it was when CD's first came out. Don't worry, there are plenty of recordings even today that could benefit from it. Just tonight, I dared to listen to Super Tramps 'Breakfast in America'. Great music, NASTY peaky and harsh CD recording. The album was so much better. 

The other two circuits I have no experience with.

• Thank You 3

7 hours ago, 4krow said:

That sounds like another challenge altogether. 

I am not so sure if the Digital Time Lens is as useful as it was when CD's first came out. Don't worry, there are plenty of recordings even today that could benefit from it. Just tonight, I dared to listen to Super Tramps 'Breakfast in America'. Great music, NASTY peaky and harsh CD recording. The album was so much better. 

The other two circuits I have no experience with.

I'm at the point where I do not want to hear digital - CD or streaming, without the Time Lens. I have both a 490T and the external DTL, so I can use the external processor loop to engage the standalone DTL unit when using my Oppo. 

• Thank You 4

• Community Admin
16 hours ago, ChrisTFM35 said:

Make a box with as many of Bob's creations as possible.

I can't agree with this more..., a universal processor box, include the latest of all of these..., switchable in and out...

As to the DTL, I think that in combination with a Tube Buffer, this is an excellent combination to add. I've got a setup with it, and like it or not, it always makes CDs and streaming, sound better on my rig.  Having it switchable in and out of the loop, is the key to giving universal customization to everyone that gets one of these.

And, like the C-9 was sold like hot-cakes..., to non-Carver owners, this kind of "universal has it all" unit will sell into every other audiophile stack - e.g., NON-Carver audiophiles will be the biggest market.

Ship it in 3 weeks! get it out there!

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 2
  • Haha 2

Bob Carver creations work.

With the vinyl craze still in full effect, the Autocorrelator needs to be back on the market. People are buying Sweet Vinyl’s SugarCube SC-1 Real Time Pop and Click Remover. Check the prices on those machines. Also, check the prices on the Autocorrelators on Ebay. What was once a $99 Buy It Now is now several hundred. Add in the cost of a refurbishing and shipping, and you have close to a grand in a 45 year old machine. 

Digital Time Lens, with all this streaming, needs to be back on the market. Everyone is streaming. Everyone is doing digital. I don't understand the science behind DTL/Soft EQ, but all I know is what my ears hear.

I hear a three dimension soundstage unlike anything I've heard before when using it with my Crimson 275 amplifiers.

Make a tube DAC with DTL and I'll be first in line. 

There is no greater brain in the game than Bob Carver. 

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

A DTL, autocorrelator, peak unlimitor could be a product of its own.

For now the the SH generator will have the Gundry option included, and the tube buffer can be optional. The option can be fairly easy to accommodate and can keep the base unit cost lower. 

Guys can have it either way.

Tubes sticking out the top are wanted by some, but not by others for stacking components. Part of the allure is the visible glow.

The unit will be about the same depth as a C1 so it's friendly to be stacked with others.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

Do you guys want to see video when the chassis and face plates are being machined?

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 2

All of this is great news Jim! 👍👍

As for my preferences, I would like a flat top and a flat bottom.

Keeping it stackable.

Of course, in my case, I can just make another shelf if needed…. 😁

• Thank You 4
  • Haha 1

I like this idea... though not sure how big the market would be.  Certainly, any of us who love the history and know the experience of listening to the vintage gear would be interested.  I like the idea of an "all in one" .... a modern box with several of Bob's inventions and a Gundry filter.  Call it a Carver "sound shaper" or something like that, giving user easy access to a variety of capabilities... Sonic hologram, DTL, Autocorrelator, Gundry, etc.

• Thank You 7
  • Love this! 1