Carver Newbie Reporting For Duty

Hi All - I was directed to this forum from AudioKarma.  I have a PSC-50 that needs a power button & board and a TFM-35 with one-dead-channel that needs me to diagnose and fix it.  I've never owned any other Carver gear before, but have been curious and that's how I scratched the itch.  But ... they've been sitting in the garage for 7 years (!) so I've decided it's high time to get them going.  I'd really like to hear how they sound someday 💤

Looking forward to exploring the site!

Edited by Johnny_Law
  • Thank You 14
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome aboard @Johnny_Law!

Tell us of your other gear, musical tastes, etc.

You should be able to add pics now too.

As for the TFM, start a repair thread in the Amplifier section. 
Describe the symptoms, your capabilities and test gear, etc.

That will be the best launch pad to your journey.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!  I would put up any pictures of them both together, but they are packed away in storage at the moment.  I do have the service manual for the PSC-50 but not the TFM-35 so I will look for it.

Me personally, I am originally from Vermont and now live in Northern California, and have been tinkering with audio stuff for a little more than a decade.  At one point I was the informal "tech guy" for a then-local record shop after they figured out I knew how to wrench on gear.  That was a lot of fun and learned a lot, and super rewarding to get people's old beloved gear on the road and not really charge them anything beyond the cost of parts. Edit: Realized I did work on a Carver once, it was a Magnetic Field Power Amplifier that just had dirty pots.  The channel came back after I cleaned them, so I didn't charge the guy anything and he was psyched.  

Now I am mainly focused on repairing the rest of the broken stuff I have in the garage (like the Carver gear).  Also, I am the guy who does the free magnet re-centering for folks over on the Polk Audio forum (also super fun to get people's old locked-up Polks on the road with no cost to them beyond postage).

Anyway I currently am listening to my McIntosh C32/MC2105 with some tiny bookshelf Infinity speakers and a small sub.  I listen to Polk SDA 3.1TLs in my 2-channel TV setup.  Once the Carver gear is going, I'd like to swap it in for the McIntosh stuff and look forward to observing the differences in sound.

Off to find that TFM-35 service manual ... oh and here's the PSC-50 with its missing power button & PCB:

PXL_20211022_230633798 - Copy.jpg

Edited by Johnny_Law
  • Thank You 6

@Johnny_Law  I hope you found the manuals.  If you didn't, just look at the menu items across the top of the home page.  One will say "Manuals and Specsheets".  You will find Carver, Phase Linear and Sunfire manuals there.

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, wrf said:

@Johnny_Law  I hope you found the manuals.  If you didn't, just look at the menu items across the top of the home page.  One will say "Manuals and Specsheets".  You will find Carver, Phase Linear and Sunfire manuals there.

Thank you!  I did find them, and I was glancing at the TFM-35 circuit diagram last night to familiarize myself.  The power supply is interesting with the high/mid/low voltages!

Johnny_Law there as you are dipping your toe into the world of Carver be aware that once you are bitten by the OCCD bug there is no cure as Carver equipment will seem to be sprouting all about your premises and your significant other might get crossed by your new addiction. You have been warned. 😁

• Ut Oh 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck on your search. I have noticed that a few other carver units have a similar shaped button and I wonder if they would share the same switch and button size.

On 1/24/2024 at 2:55 PM, halfbaked said:

Johnny_Law there as you are dipping your toe into the world of Carver be aware that once you are bitten by the OCCD bug there is no cure as Carver equipment will seem to be sprouting all about your premises and your significant other might get crossed by your new addiction. You have been warned. 😁

Welcome aboard @Johnny_Law.  As stated above, you will definitely get hooked.  Especially when you get them up and running and hear them!  The proof is in the pudding.  And there is so much gear to explore with Carver.