New Member with a 1.0t On The Way

Hi All,

I recently found this forum and it influenced my decision on what 2ch amp I would purchase. Thank You! Lots of great info here!!

I always wanted a Carver amp but they were too expensive back in the day when I would drool over the ads in Audio magazine.

So I have a 1.0t on the way (from the evil bay).

System currently consists of a Denon 3808CI AVR in a 5.1 system that is used for both multi-channel and 2-chanel listening. Mains are a pair of Axiom M-60 v3's that I really love. They are 8 Ohm and rather efficient but the reason I want an external 2ch amp to drive them is because of some distortion I am getting on some stereo material when using the AVR's "Stereo" mode. This mode is needed to utilize the AVR's DSP crossover for my SVS subwoofer.

Anyway, bottom line is that I want to try to keep everything analog when listening to stereo music and can utilize the AVR's "Direct" mode for that, along with my old Outlaw ICBM-1 analog crossover that I dug up and the "new" 1.0t.

The amp will likely need re-capping but hopefully not repair (keeping fingers crossed). The seller said it was "gone through" and was "given a clean bill of health" about a year ago.

I am very interested in the MkII mods. I have done some DIY restoration (am using a '78 Kenwood KA-8100 integrated amp I restored in my computer recording/mastering rig) but this sounds like it may be easier to get done by one of the experts here since the cost is reasonable and my available time right now is fairly short. 

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded intro. I am looking forward to hearing the amp before and after!

--Mark--

Hi Mark, and welcome to the show!

The M1.0t will rock those M60's.

I had an M1.0t driving a set of M80's before I landed a set of Carver Amazings, previously driven by a multichannel AV receiver.

Be prepared for a whole new experience in 2 channel music - and let us know how that goes once you get it all connected!

& Post some pics of your rig if you can - we love pictures.

Thank You All for the Warm Welcome,

Will post some pics for sure once the amp is installed.

I already moved my other components up in the rack to give the amp some nice breathing room at the bottom.

Can't wait to get started!

--Mark--

Hi Mark, and welcome to the show!

The M1.0t will rock those M60's.

I had an M1.0t driving a set of M80's before I landed a set of Carver Amazings, previously driven by a multichannel AV receiver.

Be prepared for a whole new experience in 2 channel music - and let us know how that goes once you get it all connected!

& Post some pics of your rig if you can - we love pictures.

Welcome to the forum Mark-Your doing much the same as I did. Denon 2808CI and M-1.0t MKII op2 for ded 2 channel. I use a full surround set of Wharfdales for TV/Movie and a dedicated pair of B&W's for 2 channel on the ded channel set on pure direct.-set a small Mirage 400w sub 8" and a Sunfire True sub 1200w 10" both off the 2808 sub out-set my EQ and have never been so pleased!

So having said that-Your Gonna Love it!

Welcome to the site, you're going to love the M1.0t, I have 3 of them, 2 of them MK11 opt2, and they are wonderful, you will be amazed at how much it will open up the sound.msp_thumbup.gif

Thanks! 

So you are using the crossover built into the sub for the dedicated 2ch mode?

Welcome to the forum Mark-Your doing much the same as I did. Denon 2808CI and M-1.0t MKII op2 for ded 2 channel. I use a full surround set of Wharfdales for TV/Movie and a dedicated pair of B&W's for 2 channel on the ded channel set on pure direct.-set a small Mirage 400w sub 8" and a Sunfire True sub 1200w 10" both off the 2808 sub out-set my EQ and have never been so pleased!

So having said that-Your Gonna Love it!

20120123051303576.jpg

System is Denon 3808CI AVR, Old Sony CDP-XA1ES as CD Transport, Oppo BDP-93, PS3, Outlaw ICBM-1 analog crossover, Axiom M-60 mains, Axiom VP-100 center, Phase Technology PC1 surrounds, Pioneer KRP-500M  Plasma, Behringer DSP1124P Subwoofer EQ (room has a peak between 35-50 HZ - this is used to flatten the bass response with the free REW [Room EQ Wizard] software and an old Radio Shack sound level meter)

Ready and Waiting...
 20120123050848537.jpg

Welcome to the site Mark.  You won't find a friendlier bunch of guys anywhere else.   RichP has given all the details for the mkII mod if you wanted to brave the task yourself, not mention he and others are usually more than willing to help.14.gif

It's Here!

I checked the voltages and for DC offset and all seem OK.

It works and I am listening to it right now. Sounds good so far but I do want to re-cap it for sure. And maybe get the MkII mod. Glad I played the evilbay roulette wheel!

One transistor on the left channel is a different color so may have been replaced, but otherwise it looks pretty good inside!

Looks like its 25th birthday is coming up in April!

--Mark--

20120125130946904.jpg 

20120125130905856.jpg

20120125130757795.jpg 

Looks very clean. Low serial number too. Even the rack holes appear to have been drilled by a pro.
You will probably want to upgrade those crappy no-way binding posts though....

CONGRATS!

Welcome to the forum. Great gear you have there, the new amp should really help, I like the Kenwood KA-8100 also very nice reliable piece of equipment.

REGARDS SNOW