What are you listening to?

Nahash5150

Spied this as just it was just getting put out at the vinyl shop: The Time, Ice-cream Castles. 
"The 'Minneapolis sound', a hybrid mixture of funk, rock, pop, synthpop and new wave pioneered by Prince, had some distinguishing characteristics: Synthesizers generally replaced horns, and were used more as accent than as fill or background. The rhythm was often faster and less syncopated than traditional funk, and owed much to new wave pop music. Guitars, while usually (but not always) played 'clean' for rhythm parts, were frequently much louder and more aggressively processed during solos than in most traditional funk. The 'bottom' of the sound was less bass-heavy than traditional funk; drums and keyboards filled more of the 'bottom'. The drums were more highly processed than in traditional funk."  Ah, yes, Purple Rain.
5169J14B59L.jpg 

I've loved this recording since its release in 1973. An extended medley, songs segue into one another. The medley, I'm So Proud / Ooh Baby Baby / La La Means I Love You / Cool Jerk, on side two (and side two in its entirety, actually)  always merited playing through more than once. This vinyl edition is better than the CD issue. The last song, Just One Victory, is as relevant today as at the time of its release.
91HWMnhX%2BUL._SL1500_.jpg