New member, just thought I'd say hello!

I've been a huge stereo fanatic since I was old enough to manage a volume knob. I absolutely love building speakers, and I've been a Carver fan since I was a teenager. I remember going into a local store that sold Carver for the first time and seeing the TFM series amps and drooling, imagining some day owning one of those works of art. Well here I am, now 40 years old, and I have a TFM-35, a TFM-55, and a Carver M1.5 amp.

Aside from just being a part of this group, my reason for joining is that I'd like to recap both my 35 and my 55 and I heard this was a great site for getting suggestions and direction. I look forward to learning from you guys party.gif
  • Thank You 1

Welcome mattsk8

There are plenty of knowledgable techs on the site who can help you through a recap of your amps. (not me).  I look forward to a recap thread on your TFM55 as I will have to tackle this myself someday.

Show us some pics of your speaker builds.

Gladly!! This will be my first time trying to upload an image here so bear with me if this doesn't work...

This is a pair I built using this kit, they sound amazing. The ER18 MTM Ribbon.
 006.JPG

These are some that I designed...

AJH_1644_DxO.jpg 

This is another pair I designed. I made the cabinets out of rock maple flooring I tore out of an old farmhouse (the front baffles are cherry). This was the first (and probably last) all solid hardwood cabinet I've built.

upload_-1.jpg 

And this is what I'm working on now. I'm also going to build a mid cabinet, and the tweeter will be a JBL horn tweeter (also going to make the horn for the JBL compression tweeter) on top of the mid cabinet. I'll do a passive crossover from the midrange to the tweeter and power that with my TFM-35, then MiniDSP active crossover from the tweet/mid to the woofer and power the woofer with my TFM-55. A 15" Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 is what I'm using for the woofer, and the mid is a Eminence Beta 12.

upload_-1.jpg
  • Thank You 2

Howdy Matt and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board. Hope you stick around for a while.

Nice looking speakers! Thanks for not making us beg for photos. 

I'm curious why you offset the tweeters in the first 2 builds versus aligning them in a D'appolito configuration?

• Thank You 2

Howdy Matt and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board. Hope you stick around for a while.

Nice looking speakers! Thanks for not making us beg for photos. 

I'm curious why you offset the tweeters in the first 2 builds versus aligning them in a D'appolito configuration?

Regarding pics, no problem. And thanks to everyone for the welcome!!

As far as the tweeter offset goes... supposedly having it offset helps with randomizing driffraction. I honestly can't ever hear the difference between centered and offset, and personally I think I prefer centered strictly from an aesthetic POV, but I think it looks decent either way so I'll do both at times. I've actually built the ones on the stands both ways (tweeters centered and offset) and can't hear a difference. They were measured (with a mic) both offset and centered and it didn't change enough at all to warrant either way.
  • Thank You 1

Welcome aboard! I've recapped both of those amps, as well as the led mod. You can find parts lists for the caps here:

http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=131

Stick around and enjoy!

THANK YOU!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for! I'll order some caps and post up once I start this project. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way, this will be the first time I've done this. I did replace the power supply caps in my 1.5, I think the guy that sells that kit is an active member here but not positive?? Anyhow, much appreciated!!

Welcome aboard! I've recapped both of those amps, as well as the led mod. You can find parts lists for the caps here:

Stick around and enjoy!

THANK YOU!!! That's exactly what I was hoping for! I'll order some caps and post up once I start this project. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way, this will be the first time I've done this. I did replace the power supply caps in my 1.5, I think the guy that sells that kit is an active member here but not positive?? Anyhow, much appreciated!!

The guy who designed and sells that 50/80v daughter board would be Les aka circuitsandconcepts

FYI: Carver is known for tweeking designs and not documenting the changes.
Best to check Mark's list against what is actually in your unit before ordering. 
  • Thank You 1

Welcome aboard Matt, you've come to the right place.  Not only will you find carver enthusiasts here, such as yourself, but other interesting subjects, from speaker builds to turntable builds, to about anything imaginable.  There are some very skilled folks here in all walks of life, and many are jack of all trades.  Glad to see you become a member. Enjoy the ride. party.gif  BTW thanks for the pics and your speaker builds are fantastic!!! eusa_clap.gif

Stick around and enjoy!

In the link I see the BOM for the 55x, does that and my 55 (mine is not the X) have the same capacitors?

I am not sure, as I've only done a couple of the 55x amps. It will be very close, if not the same parts list.

Also, the large 10,000uf 100v caps from Panasonic are no longer available. Best substitute at the moment is ESMH101VND103MA63T, available at Mouser. Each of your TFM amps use a pair of these.

• Thank You 1

Thanks again to everyone for the welcome!! Like I said, I've loved stereos for as long as I can remember. I can't wait to compare stories of my humble beginnings building speakers (6th grade, cardboard cabinets out.gif) and monkeying with stereos, all the while learning and having fun!!

Stick around and enjoy!

In the link I see the BOM for the 55x, does that and my 55 (mine is not the X) have the same capacitors?

I am not sure, as I've only done a couple of the 55x amps. It will be very close, if not the same parts list.

Also, the large 10,000uf 100v caps from Panasonic are no longer available. Best substitute at the moment is ESMH101VND103MA63T, available at Mouser. Each of your TFM amps use a pair of these.

Thanks again. I'll probably start with my 35, this is the one that needs repair the most. I have a sort of static hum in this one that could be a bad solder on the RCAs (if I wiggle the RCA I also get a little thumping), or a cap, or both... plus my meter lights are out. My 55 actually works fairly well yet, but a recap would be good for it.

Welcome to Carverville Matt. You should fit right in. I love your speaker builds, never mastered wood working myself. If I'm going to make chips, I like them sharp and shiny. LOL Take lot's of pics of your amp rebuilds for us, it will help someone else down the road.

BillWojo

Welcome to the site Matt.
Fantastic work on your speaker projects. 
How about some pictures of the rest of your system, when you get a chance.
Also what types of music and or bands/artists do you enjoy listening to ?
I like classic rock such as Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Black Sabbath etc.
And blues guitar rock, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, Tommy Bolin, Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Pat Travers, etc. 

Enjoy the site, Blues Pwr..........