New Member - hello!

Greetings everyone. I just found this site and have already enjoyed cruising through a lot of the info and discussion. I run a small audio company that manufacturers car speakers for the Mazda Miata line of autos, so of course I enjoy all things audio.

My interest in Carver goes back to when I was young and worked in broadcast radio for a bit. The Carver stuff was what I wanted but couldn't afford, lol. I helped put myself through college fixing stereos and VCRs and installing car stereos. Now as a hobby and to relax, I buy nice equipment pieces when I come across them, repair and restore them, and move them on (usually) to friends. I'm finishing up a C4000 preamp now (a really nice pre-amp) and have a M500 amp and TX11 tuner waiting to be looked at. I've also been sidetracked into fixing up five (yes, five) Nakamichi BX-300 cassette decks - it's a story :)

My own home audio system is built around a CT-Seven preamp, a big Dynaco 400 amp I built about 40 years ago, and some custom speakers I also built.

I look forward to 'meeting' everyone here on-line.

Glenn

• Thank You 9
  • That Rocks 1

Good morning Glenn and welcome aboard!

Interesting product line you have. Looks like an excellent solution to a niche market problem. 👍👍

I’m a bit of an auto sound nut also. I just completed recapping my collection of A/D/S amps I pulled from my long-time service Odyssey. 

Pour another cup of coffee and look around. We’re everything Carver - from Phase Linear to the newest creations that will hit the market within a few weeks!

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Welcome @3M_Audio, glad you found us!  

Looking forward to your posts.  Carver or other gear - we focus on Carver, but love to see other projects too.

BTW, did you ever do any Carver Car Audio?  There's a few threads here on that, too.

• Thank You 2

Glenn,

Your story is a familiar one to the members on the site!

New members are allowed to post pictures after a certain amount of activity.

We love to see systems (including non-Carver)

• Thank You 2

Hello Glenn, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems  area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

9 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Welcome @3M_Audio, glad you found us!  

Looking forward to your posts.  Carver or other gear - we focus on Carver, but love to see other projects too.

BTW, did you ever do any Carver Car Audio?  There's a few threads here on that, too.

I haven't got into any of the Carver car audio stuff - I rarely come across any of it at the typical flea markets or yard sales I enjoy stopping at, but I always look for anything with the name 'Carver' on it. It would be interesting to know how many units they made here in the U.S. - car audio is somewhat interesting as items rarely get pulled from cars when sold and most car stereo shops just toss old equipment and install new.

Car audio can be very rewarding given how much time many of us spend in our cars, but it also can be challenging.

Edited by 3M_Audio
  • Thank You 1

7 hours ago, itchitch said:

Glenn,

Your story is a familiar one to the members on the site!

New members are allowed to post pictures after a certain amount of activity.

We love to see systems (including non-Carver)

Thanks - I've actually got a couple pictures of that C4000 that I'm working on I'd like to upload. I'll post details into a more appropriate conference, but quickly I was actually finishing up and running through the service manual tests and started checking the various inputs and was finding channels dead - turns out the plastic that makes up the RCA input blocks is disintegrating (from age, I assume) and allowing the contacts to push out. I'm sure some others here have experienced that problem and I'll be interested to know what they did. I'm guessing those input blocks aren't available anywhere.

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
25 minutes ago, 3M_Audio said:

I haven't got into any of the Carver car audio stuff - I rarely come across any of it at the typical flea markets or yard sales I enjoy stopping at, but I always look for anything with the name 'Carver' on it. It would be interesting to know how many units they made here in the U.S. - car audio is somewhat interesting as items rarely get pulled from cars when sold and most car stereo shops just toss old equipment and install new.

Car audio can be very rewarding given how much time many of us spend in our cars, but it also can be challenging.

Where are you located?  Do I read (between the lines) that you are outside of the US?  The Carver Car Audio gear pops up on Ebay, every so often.  There was one head unit, and a couple of amp designs, IIRC.  There are manuals in the library for some of the Carver Car Audio gear, if you are interested in checking it out.  There was one guy who built out a car configuration with 6 or 7 amps, powering a series of speakers in a VW CC sedan.  I forget who - but search will find it! 😉

Again, WELCOME!

• Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

Where are you located?  Do I read (between the lines) that you are outside of the US?  The Carver Car Audio gear pops up on Ebay, every so often.  There was one head unit, and a couple of amp designs, IIRC.  There are manuals in the library for some of the Carver Car Audio gear, if you are interested in checking it out.  There was one guy who built out a car configuration with 6 or 7 amps, powering a series of speakers in a VW CC sedan.  I forget who - but search will find it! 😉

Again, WELCOME!

No, I'm up in Massachusetts a little north of Boston. There's quite a bit of Carver gear floating around this area but I don't recall seeing any of the car audio gear. 

And I don't generally search for this stuff on eBay although I'll look around a bit for the car audio stuff specifically as I'm interested to get more details about the pieces. I find many eBay sellers overly 'optimistic' (to be polite) in their assessment of condition and pricing :). I do, however, find eBay useful for getting components from sellers that are parting out equipment. There's also the occasional new stock that is always a pleasant surprise. I just got a brand new power switch for this C4000 I'm working on from eBay.

And I will definitely look for the VW with the 6 or 7 amps you mentioned - probably had a large alternator and some huge supply caps, too!

• Thank You 1