Does vinyl sound better than CD?

iamjohngalt

Does vinyl sound better than CD?

Which do you prefer, the sound of a vinyl record or that of a CD? It is a topic that has spurred many a heated debate…

While we won’t argue your preference, when discussing which format sounds better from a technical perspective, there is a clear winner. 

In today’s video, Disc Makers CEO Tony van Veen discusses which format delivers superior sound by addressing a number of key factors, including:

- Dynamic range
- Volume
- Bass
- Analog warmth
- Player environment
- Wear 

• Thank You 1

At this very moment I would have to say that a select few CDs played on my CD player with newly installed 6DJ8 Amperex Bugleboys, made in Holland, sounds the best.

Still like spinning and enjoy listening to a good vinyl album.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Well, Maybe sometimes and other times not. Depends on the recording quality and your equipment. But that being said, I prefer them both over streaming. 

• Thank You 2

There's something special about handling a record album, looking at the album art.....Heck, sometimes even the smell of an old record is unique.  And, putting a record album on the turntable to play is a "commitment" to listen to the entire side of the album, which is what the artist intended.  So, you're more likely to hear songs that you may otherwise skip on a CD or streaming session.  

But, digital recordings (CD resolution or higher) have better sound quality, in my opinion. 

• Thank You 3

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Well, Maybe sometimes and other times not. Depends on the recording quality and your equipment. But that being said, I prefer them both over streaming. 

Agreed - recording quality and mastering are KEY.   Case in point - a couple weeks ago I bought an SACD of Bon Jovi’s greatest hits. I was dubious going in, but I figured what the hell - it’s worth a shot.  WRONG - it’s so “brick walled” that’s its virtually un-listenable. 

• Thank You 3

It's a subjective topic as to what sounds best, so there is no right or wrong answer, like many topics of the hobby, people will argue and both are correct.

Objectively, measurement wise, the higher tech will always win. 

Same story with transistors and vacuum tubes.. The transistors measure much better but do they sound better? That's the subjective part and there is no wrong answer. . 

Objectively all you need are CD's and some low cost op amp based electronics to make good numbers as the best performance you can get.

Subjectively the difference are night and day. But then again, numbers don't lie. Do they?

Personally, I like the detail of good digital mixed with the analog of tube gear.

Some like vinyl mixed with solid state for some of the same reasons, I've noticed.

Edited by Ar9Jim
  • Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

YES, definitely YES.

I am old enough to remember when music was recorded in STEREO.  RECORDS were recorded in stereo, mostly.  That means you had some of the instruments and singers coming from one speaker, and the other music was coming from the other speaker.  It was a great blend, and if you had your room setup right, it was magic.   Granted, CD's are cleaner, until they get scratched, but I just love taking out the record, remembering what I was doing back then, and who I was with.  Nostalgic.  Never give up my records.

Of course if we get talking Reel to Reel, all bets are off. 

• Thank You 2

Interesting conversation!

Nearly exclusively, I stream via Tidal when I want to sit down to listen.

My vinyl playback rig needs some tweaking yet to get it dialed in.

Now, some of you toss in the Carver 390t and 490t into the mix as the favored playback medium.

Damn! Currently, I have NO CD playback gear, save for a near 30 year old Yamaha carousel that lost a shootout between it and my iPad. I have an old dresser full of CDs….

And I’ve been so good about controlling my OCCD. 
I feel a relapse coming on strong! 😳

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 2

• Community Admin
4 hours ago, 3M_Audio said:

Just picked up a 390t for repair. I'll be interested to listen to it.

@3M_Audio  Please start a repair thread on that unit in the appropriate Source topic. I have one, and it is in need of something, too.  Hopefully, I'll be able to follow along with your work, and figure mine out! 😉 

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

• Community Admin

We have a Thursday Night Audio Group, called "Vinyl Night" here in my neighborhood.  Two of our members own EVERY high end vinyl recording..., not just the MOFI ones, but a whole host of "newly remastered..." stuff.

Bottom line, it sure sounds good to me, on $25,000++ systems they have when we meet on their week at their house.

For me, that's a hobby - buying every MoFi, and other new quality vinyl release as it comes out - that I can't afford.  I have several hundred maybe a couple thousand, albums on vinyl, but they are all the usual record store stuff, and some that I bought, back in my college days 40 years+ ago.  My friends buy two of everything and put one on ice, to sell later when the price goes up... - too rich for me.

So, to answer the question, no, my old, tired, used vinyl collection does not sound better.  Their stuff?  Hmmm, that's some darn good vinyl..., but for me, it's Roon, and digital.  That produces great sound on my system, for me.  And, it's within my budget.

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Technic1500 said:

…Granted, CD's are cleaner, until they get scratched... 

In my experience, scratches tend to negatively impact vinyl records far more than they do CDs.  Further, the CD surface is repairable…

• Thank You 2

Speaking of these differences, I just brought my TT up from the system downstairs after listening to some Willie Nelson that is in a TGP 3 and PXm900 amp set up with JBL speakers.

The upstairs setup consists of the CT7 and the Black Magic 25 tube and Walsh 4 speakers. 

That right there was enough to change the outcome in a large way. 

• Thank You 2

5 hours ago, Ar9Jim said:

It's a subjective topic as to what sounds best, so there is no right or wrong answer, like many topics of the hobby, people will argue and both are correct.

Personally, I like the detail of good digital mixed with the analog of tube gear.

That's my ears' favorite combination, too, Jim, assuming a competent recording and music that I enjoy. :D 👍

Edited by iamjohngalt
  • Thank You 3

I have some early released CDs (1980s) that sound absolutely horrible and very fatiguing whereas my vinyl counterparts sound better.  Some of those CDs were re-released and remastered, with some of them HDCD. (I have HDCD players). They sound significantly better.

I can say the same for my vinyl records. Some sound lousy compared to CDs.  Some remastered vinyl sounds better then CDs.  I  feel it's a toss up in some cases and depends on the sound engineer, remixed remaster in both formats. Overall, I  think a well mixed,  well engineered,  CD sound better than vinyl.  Vinyl is more fun to me.  

• Thank You 2

9 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

@3M_Audio  Please start a repair thread on that unit in the appropriate Source topic. I have one, and it is in need of something, too.  Hopefully, I'll be able to follow along with your work, and figure mine out! 😉 

Will do - should be a fun project.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1