Who's The Greatest Drummer Of All Time?

Gene C

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'm showing my age, but here is one of the all time greats, Carmine Appice.

He received a classical music training, and was influenced early-on by the work of jazz drummers Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa. Appice is best known for his associations with Vanilla Fudge, Cactus, and the power trio Beck, Bogert & Appice.

Appice is credited with influencing several drummers including Nicko McBrain; Aerosmith's Joey Kramer; Roger Meddows-Taylor; Phil Collins; Rush's Neil Peart; Motley Crue's Tommy Lee; Dave Lombardo; Richard Christy; Chris Grainger;[1] David Kinkade; Ray Mehlbaum; Led Zeppelin's John Bonham; Robb Reiner; and, Eric Singer.

His best-selling drum instruction book The Realistic Rock Drum Method[2] was first published in 1972, and has since been revised and republished as The Ultimate Realistic Rock Drum Method.[3] It covers the basic subjects of rock rhythms and polyrhythms, linear rudiments and groupings, shuffle rhythms, hi-hat, and double bass drum exercises.

Of Italian descent, Appice is the older brother of drummer Vinny Appice by 11 years.

Appice first came to prominence as the percussionist with the late 1960s psychedelic band Vanilla Fudge. Appice contributed distinctive background harmonies with bassist Tim Bogert. After five albums, the pair left Vanilla Fudge[4] to form the blues rock quartet Cactus,[5] with vocalist Rusty Day and guitarist Jim McCarty. Appice and Bogert then left Cactus to join Jeff Beck in the power trio Beck, Bogert & Appice.[6] Appice joined Rod Stewart's backing band in 1977, co-writing songs such as "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" and "Young Turks". He also played drums on a track on Paul Stanley's eponymous solo album (1978).[7]

He is currently on an American tour with the Michael Schenker Group

Albums[edit]

Carmine Appice

• Carmine Appice (1981)
  • Carmine Appice's Guitar Zeus (1995)
  • Carmine Appice's Guitar Zeus 2: Channel Mind Radio (1997)
  • Carmine Appice's Guitar Zeus Japan (1999)
  • Carmine Appice's Guitar Zeus Korea (2002)
  • V8 (2008)
  • Carmine Appice's Guitar Zeus: Conquering Heroes (double CD) (2009)

Vanilla Fudge

Rod Stewart

Cactus

Beck, Bogert & Appice

Derringer, Bogert & Appice

• Doin’ Business As… (2001)

Char, Bogert & Appice

• Live In Japan (1999)

Vargas, Bogert & Appice

• Javier Vargas, Tim Bogert, Carmine Appice: Featuring Paul Shortino (2011)

Jan Akkerman

• Tabernakel (1974)[15]

KGB

• KGB (1976)
  • Motion (1976)

Paul Stanley

Ted Nugent

DNA

• Party Tested (1983)[16]

King Kobra

Blue Murder

Mothers Army

• Mothers Army (1993)
  • Planet Army (1997)

Pappo's Blues

Marty Friedman

Travers & Appice[17] (as duet with Pat Travers)

• It Takes A Lot Of Balls (2004)
  • Live At The House Of Blues (2005)
  • Bazooka (2006)

Pearl

• Pearl (1997)
  • 4 Infinity (1998)

Sly Stone

Michael Schenker

Pink Floyd[18]

With Others[edit]

• Cozy Powell Tribute - Cozy Powell Forever (1998)
  • Moonstone Project - Time to Take a Stand/Hidden In Time (2006)
  • Who Are You - An All-Star Tribute To The Who (2012)

Awards[edit]

• Thank You 2

Guess I cant vote but my 1st vote is for Bonzo he carried Led. My 2nd is Danny Carey...And sadly 3rd is Peart somehow.

Don't ask how he falls to 3rd but for me he just does...Im a little crazy haha!!

I will throw in a vote for Joe Morello.

He entertained me to no end as a kid and I got to see him play with Brubeck once.

He was not just excellent but beyond that.

He can be heard on many older Jazz tunes.

Well I see from the list my favorite drummers Bill Ward and Ian Paice did not make it . 

But really my favorite would have to be The Hammer of The Gods  John "Gonzo" Bonham .............

And from back in the day Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich............ 

Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa in movies and on black & white television shows were the first drummers I was aware of and too young to appreciate. My list of favorites is a subset of this thread's list, to which Billy Cobham I will add. He is the one to shock me out of  a teenage In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida mindset. 

Being a drummer myself, I find it pointless to try to pick a "best of all time" when there are SO MANY unbelievably talented drummers out there....many of whom are hardly known.

Check out "young drummer of the year" on youtube; there are some kids with absolutely CRAZY talent.

My apologies to Carl Palmer...eat your heart out Neal Peart lol

"It's not about knowing when to hit each drum, it's about knowing when not to...."
- Neil Peart.

• 2 weeks later...

20 years from now people may ask this question over again. I wonder how this kid will measure up ? Google Avery Molek an watch him knock your socks off!

Holy Shi7.
Neil Peart eat your heart out....

This kid is gonna be famous.
Watch him spin the lft rear cymbal for just for kicks at 3:12  hehehehehe

Thanks Gene. Big Grin
Oh hell yes.   A hot brunette playing Rush on the drums, not all tatted up..... sign me up.
Thanks Gene indeed.

Check out her bio Meytal Cohen. There are some other interesting reads on her out on the web. Very talented and driven after the few bumps in the road she's had. First noticed her about a year ago and recently she put out an album (with their own music). She has a ton of drum covers on her You Tube page, I'd have to say the Avenged Sevenfold & TOOL covers kick ass.