What are you listening to?

Nahash5150

Playing naught  but quiet recordings at low volume today, wife still under the weather. The 2014 Reference Disc will idle most likely until next week. That's either a UFO or an early ALS prototype in the left side of Viktor's garage. Either way, he seems happy. 
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PFDX5STXL.jpg 

Arrived yesterday: 

Rush_-_Permanent_Waves.jpg 

14.gif Thanks for the advice, Rodney! This album does indeed make a good companion to "Moving Pictures". 

And my neighbor did mention that he wouldn't mind hearing more Rush. emteeth.gif
  • Thank You 1

Friends, I don't even have any Rush in my library, yikes! Sticking with "Minnesota-born guitarist Steve Tibbetts and Chöying Drolma, a sweet-faced, crop-haired Tibetan nun,  placid sonic journeys, wherein Drolma's nasal yet pristine alto-to-mezzo soars amid a restrained blend of guitar, electronica, drones, and overdubbed voices, augmented by Marc Anderson's hand-drums and occasional hints of whispery chimes touched by nothing human...The album leaves a strangely energetic peacefulness in its wake; a profound relaxation that also encourages action toward betterment." My neighbors will never know.
41S7xjn2T9L.jpg 

• Thank You 1

51GjN10ni5L.jpg
"Opening with a violent clap of thunder, Roach's first live album lives up to its creator's exhortation that you "turn it up, feel it in your bones!" Though it's built from the same glassy, ghostly synthesizer drones, didgeridoo howls, and clay-pot ethnic rhythms as much of his other work, On This Planet is a more visceral, less trancelike experience. Aided by mysterious voices murmuring about being "haunted by visions that have been painted from the inside out," the music suggests a very intense, Castanedan peyote journey through an otherworldly desert landscape. Swirling noise clusters, shuddering rain sticks, shamanic chanting, rhythms that sprint across the spectrum like organic drum & bass beats--this isn't your father's New Age. A maxed-out 72 minutes on one CD, On This Planet makes an ideal, if quicker-paced, introduction to Roach's aesthetic, a potent distillation of his more mind-bending materials."  

Rush_-_Permanent_Waves.jpg 

14.gif Thanks for the advice, Rodney! This album does indeed make a good companion to "Moving Pictures". 

And my neighbor did mention that he wouldn't mind hearing more Rush. emteeth.gif

Glad you enjoy it.  This album, more than any other, is responsible for my venture into audio.  Back in 1980 when it was released I didn't have any stereo equipment of my own but I had this album on 8-track.  My parents had a cheap Panasonic all-in-one sitting on an old TV console in the basement.  At that time I built my first pair of speakers with Radio Shack horn tweeters and connected them to the Panasonic.  While jamming to Natural Science I heard the 'computerized tones' at 3:29 for the first time and was stunned to hear something new in a recording I had listened to so many times.  The music is indeed a 'Rush' in a way that after 1982 I no longer found in their music.  For me, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are their pinnacle. 

• Thank You 1

5150NDQXE5L.jpg
"Mixes ever-changing programmed polyrhythms with droning atmospheres, percolating ethnoambient works, electronic pieces intertwining layers of sequenced melodies and rhythms."