A must-listen album, IMHO... Especially for SH.

Daddyjt

I ordered this album a while back, after it was recommended to me as a great source for test tracks.  I had played it a few times, and really enjoyed it in my truck.  A few days ago, I threw a small system together (Oppo 105, C1 w/Gundry, McCormack DNA 225, and NHT 2.5i speakers, with a Velodyne DD12) to test a C1 I just finished modding for a member (BillD and Gundry).

That is when my jaw hit the floor... The track Draw Your Swords absolutely BLEW ME AWAY.  I do not do much listening with SH, but when I do, the Gundry mod is a must - but THIS track was unlike anything I have ever heard - truly unbelievable.  Add to this the fact that the listening space I have created is FAR from ideal, makes it all the more impressive.  Typing this, I find it just about impossible to put words to what I heard.

I cannot recommend this album highly enough - It now owns a place in my top 5, and that is a feat.

41rGxqq6I7L._SS500.jpg

339E6DD8-602B-452E-AD21-7C9275BB1E9D.jpeg

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 3

17 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

A few days ago, I threw a small system together (Oppo 105, C1 w/Gundry, McCormack DNA 225, and NHT 2.5i speakers, with a Velodyne DD12) to test a C1 I just finished modding for a member (BillD and Gundry).

It is small, but not small by any means. The 105 makes an excellent audio player. 

19 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Add to this the fact that the listening space I have created is FAR from ideal, makes it all the more impressive.

Future home of an Audio man-cave? 

• Thank You 3

2 hours ago, loner_t said:

It is small, but not small by any means. The 105 makes an excellent audio player. 

Future home of an Audio man-cave? 

Agreed LT - I love the 105!  I will get an audio room eventually. First was the bathroom, now working on a room for my son. Audio room is next after that:-)

15 minutes ago, Maddmaster said:

I sampled the album on Amazon. I can hear why you like it, but not my type of music. We all have different taste. ?

Amen to that.  My Achilles heel is jazz - I have a small collection of some very highly regarded recordings, but I never find myself going to them when I listen. As you said, not my type of music...?

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

4 hours ago, DrummerJuice said:

I was wondering if there was a list of songs or albums that really highlighted SH. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out when I buy a C1. Friend has one for $250.

The Gundry mod makes a vast difference in SH.

5 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

That is when my jaw hit the floor... The track Draw Your Swords absolutely BLEW ME AWAY.  I do not do much listening with SH, but when I do, the Gundry mod is a must - but THIS track was unlike anything I have ever heard - truly unbelievable.

WOW! That is the most dramatic effect of SH that I've heard yet. The soundstage expanded beyond the walls.

As you, I rarely listen with SH engaged, and I found the effect marginal without the Gundry mod, but on a few recordings with the Gundry mod...

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms

Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices...

Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue

Santana - Caravanserai, Abraxas

There was another that escapes me now that was very enjoyable.

I'll have to listen to some smooth jazz, country, and classical with SH engaged.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

46 minutes ago, kve777 said:

I'll be honest, I wasn't impressed. I like Angus' voice, but Julia's vocals are grating. I much prefer Kacey Musgraves and her husband, Ruston Kelly. 

Noted. Thanks for the feedback. 

• Thank You 1

I just picked up four albums from the Sinatra MOFI boxed set, and the SH effect on his voice is very pronounced. I'm not certain if I like it yet or not, as I can't pinpoint where he is in the image. The SH adds a depth that almost sounds like he's singing in a cave without the harsh echoes. The effect is the same on all the albums I've listened to so far.

Sinatra Sings of love and things

A Swingin' Affair

Where Are You?

Look To Your Heart

• Thank You 2

Streaming it now......................

Oh,

Bluesound Node2 - Sanskrit Gen6 DAC - BillD C1 - Hashy TFM-45 - RodtheMod ALS Silvers.

Great air and space Mark! ~^

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 2:13 PM, kve777 said:

I'll be honest, I wasn't impressed. I like Angus' voice, but Julia's vocals are grating. I much prefer Kacey Musgraves and her husband, Ruston Kelly. 

So it wasn't just me. Her voice really bumped me. Sounds like she is singing in baby talk. It made me immediately think Christine Blasey Ford was singing. I thought, well, we all knew she would get a book deal and give speeches for exorbitant fees, but damn did she get a record deal too? 

Other than that, the album is very enjoyable. I haven't tried the SH. In my experience I've not noticed the SH effect. Are you guys moving your speakers as recommended by the C1 manual?

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PhilDent said:

It made me immediately think Christine Blasey Ford was singing. I thought, well, we all knew she would get a book deal and give speeches for exorbitant fees, but damn did she get a record deal too?

????????????

• Haha 2

On 10/18/2018 at 2:12 PM, PhilDent said:

I haven't tried the SH. In my experience I've not noticed the SH effect. Are you guys moving your speakers as recommended by the C1 manual?

Because the Holographic Image works by phase cancellation of the unwanted second sound arrivals, accurate speaker position is required. You must make sure that the left speaker is the same distance away from you as the right speaker. For the best Holographic image, the left speaker should be set exactly the same distance and angle away from your listening position as the right speaker. It is recommended that you use a tape measure to set them up to be the same distance, within about half an inch tolerance.

Actually I think the manual says within 1/4" . Yes move your speakers even if only temporarily.

• Thank You 2

On 10/18/2018 at 2:12 PM, PhilDent said:

So it wasn't just me. Her voice really bumped me. Sounds like she is singing in baby talk. It made me immediately think Christine Blasey Ford was singing. I thought, well, we all knew she would get a book deal and give speeches for exorbitant fees, but damn did she get a record deal too? 

Other than that, the album is very enjoyable. I haven't tried the SH. In my experience I've not noticed the SH effect. Are you guys moving your speakers as recommended by the C1 manual?

If I had the time, I’d dig out another set of speakers and see if I could experience what you are hearing.  Maybe it’s the NHT’s...?  I like them a lot, but I’ve never found them to be wildly out of the norm. I can say with certainty though that I’m pretty sure I would not like her voice on the Klipsch pair. 

Or maybe my hearing is just shot. 

• Thank You 1

New artists are tricky. I heard Kacey Musgraves on SNL and wasn't impressed. I heard her on WXPN in the car and I realized she really had a great voice. I think she was really nervous on SNL. Give her latest album, Golden Hour a listen...

• Thank You 2

I've only listened to the CD on the Electrostatics - maybe they intensify her affectation.  To me it sounds like she's trying to mispronounce words  like my kids do when they're being silly.  Also take my opinion with a grain of salt - I find Alison Krause darn near unlistenable.  

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, PMAT said:

I like it a lot. Perfect for that mood. Love the instant access to music through Tidal. No waiting on recommendations. 

Yea I did it up on Tidal to give it a listen, not my music really but it did sound good on SH

• Thank You 1

Interesting - I didn't have much chance to listen to samples, and not with SH but it bears more listening.

DaddyJT, You suggested a list to highlight albums that really stood out for production/recording qualities.  Can I suggest we create a list of Standout Recordings, and come up with some semi standard reasons:

• Production/Recording qualities
  • Sonic Hologram superstar
  • Underrated recording

My names are not great, and we need some more categories, but hopefully it gets the idea across. it gets the idea across.  Maybe make the entries so that each original stands out so people will be able to add their comments like here, but it's easy to find the suggested albums and why they are special?

Tag, you're it!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

I just got my C-1 BillD (with Gundry) from DaddyJT.  Nice work!  All works great. 

I have 4000 CDs and 1000 LPs and am just starting to enjoy SH again.   It's been 12 years.

It took a while, but I got it working nicely.  The speakers are about five feet in front of me, and about 24 inches apart, a lot like the set up in the C1 manual and in the liner notes for the Sonic Holography set up CD.  I have some high-efficiency JBLs with a subwoofer and a reworked M500t.  The CD indicates that my set up is working properly.  

So, far, these CDs have some very nice width and depth:

King Crimson - Red/Steven Wilson remix ("Starless" is very wide indeed)

Soft Machine - Fifth

Miles  - Jack Johnson complete

More as I find them....I would appreciate other ideas as Brian suggests, above.  

John

SH.jpg

• Thank You 4

The individual tracks are here.  Hopefully I can get the links right.

http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&m=4569#post4569 

The thread I found things in is:  

I owe a big Thank You to the folks on that thread and to whomever put up the links to the tracks.

• Thank You 2