Mannheim Steamroller: Fresh Aire III, Tocatta; Fresh Aire IV, Tocatta in G

Joe Satriani: Surfing With The Alien

King Crimson: Larks Tongue In Aspic

Jean-Michael Jarre: Rendezvous 1 through 4

Cosmos Soundtrack (mostly Vangelis)

Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells I, II and III

Wheatstone Bridge: First Crossing

• Thank You 1

Pink Floyd: What do you want from me, Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Supertramp: School

Megadeth: Kill the King

Metallica: Bleeding Me, One

Steely Dan: Black Cow

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Riviera Paradise

• Thank You 1

Bela Fleck - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter

Steely Dan - Gaucho

BB King & Eric Clapton - Ridin' With the King

• Thank You 1

Love this thread, lots of songs for me to check out!

I'm a little stuck in the Euro 80s, but I have added a whole classic rock side I somehow neglected in my teens. My list has to do more with things I am very familiar with, they might not be traditional reference recordings:

in no particular order

- Die Toten Hosen: Hier kommt Alex, Bonnie & Clyde, Eisgekuehlter Bommerlunder, Disco in Moskow, and whatever couple CDs I'm currently favoring

- Depeche Mode: Get the Balance Right, Love in Itself, New Life

- Dire Straights: This Man's too Strong, Sultans of Swing, Telegraph Road, Once Upon a Time in the West

- Yellow: A night at the Roxy

- Alan Parsons: Tales of Mystery and Imagination (especially the first two cuts)

- Saga: Don't be Late

- Frankie Goes to Hollywood: everything, lol, it's all on one or two CDs anyway. Pleasuredome, Wasteland, and parts of Two Tribes

- Joe Jackson: Stepping Out and the Big World CD (live concert recording, but with a dead silent audience, really big sound)

I'll have to finish this later, but I had something like 20-25 CD with me when i auditioned the VT-2s in 1996/97. Musical tastes change over time, so this is a lot of fun to think about.

Enigma- first album.

Yep!...That's a good one.

Melody Gardot, Bob Marley, Steel Pulse, Allman Brothers,  Jean-luc Ponty and a lot more...Let's hear from more of you on special recordings...

Lol, I knew it: Madonna

Had no idea what Q sound was other than that I knew I had seen it on one of my CDs. Didn't know the Pink Floyd album had it too.

Other choices are available too according to he Wikipedia page.

• 10 months later...
Ok.  I chose this thread simply because it wasn't a demo noise set of tones.  Which I don't use enough and is certainly useful in it's own way. 

Camera Eye.  Some of the best Rush imho.  Even If you don't like Geddy's voice, try this.
Track 5.  Find a lossless rip and crank this up to 13.
Transients.  Dynamics. Good grief.
If you can find all three musicians here, you know. 
Then play it again.  And segregate Geddy's bass track.
And smile a lot.
 Moving_Pictures.jpg

Gotta chime in because although I use and love the Pink Floyd, Steely Dan and Flim and the BB's tracks mentioned... for me, firing up a new piece means I break out Joni Mitchel's Court and Spark. Help Me is the track I always use. Just a personal thing that I've done since the 70's.

+1 for 'School'.  Which I also have on vinyl.

Zoom and I are on the same wavelength but different tune.
RUSH Moving Pictures track 3 YYZ in vinyl format.14.gif

Oh, boy.  I have lots of Rush on vinyl.  Just not a good enough TT right now.  I just love Camera Eye because it takes you on this musical journey like few tunes can.  

Lots of great cuts here!

I use different music to test what I want to find out, but here are a few I use:

Of course, the ubiquitous "1812 Overture" by Tchaikovsky--specifically the direct digital recording by Telarc with Erik Kunzel & the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.  The cannons will test any system~

Vivaldi: "The Four Seasons" (Le Quattro Stagioni) Op 8 Nos 1-4 (The English Concert).  I've very specific about this version also as it's done on period instruments.

Ravel: "La Valse" (dynamic range/impact)

Dianna Karl: "Temptation"

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones: "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" (anything that can play the bass from this CLEANLY has got it in spades)

Supertramp: "Paris" (entire album--one of the best live recordings, EVER)

Allison Krauss: "Oh, Atlanta"

Steely Dan: "Everything Must Go" & "Teahouse on the Tracks"

No Doubt: "Different People"

Phish: "Guelah Papyrus"

Primus: "Over the Electric Grapevine"

Tierney Sutton: "Comes Love"

The Yellowjackets: "Go Go", "Jacket Town", & "And You Know That"

Yes: "Long Distance Runaround"
  • Thank You 2

I agree with the choices, Rush,Floyd but also add any recording from Sheffield, and My pipe organ recording, some of the (low) notes will send amps running home to momma!

Lots of great cuts here!

I use different music to test what I want to find out, but here are a few I use:

Of course, the ubiquitous "1812 Overture" by Tchaikovsky--specifically the direct digital recording by Telarc with Erik Kunzel & the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.  The cannons will test any system~

Vivaldi: "The Four Seasons" (Le Quattro Stagioni) Op 8 Nos 1-4 (The English Concert).  I've very specific about this version also as it's done on period instruments.

Ravel: "La Valse" (dynamic range/impact)

Dianna Karl: "Temptation"

Bela Fleck & the Flecktones: "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" (anything that can play the bass from this CLEANLY has got it in spades)

Supertramp: "Paris" (entire album--one of the best live recordings, EVER)

Allison Krauss: "Oh, Atlanta"

Steely Dan: "Everything Must Go" & "Teahouse on the Tracks"

No Doubt: "Different People"

Phish: "Guelah Papyrus"

Primus: "Over the Electric Grapevine"

Tierney Sutton: "Comes Love"

The Yellowjackets: "Go Go", "Jacket Town", & "And You Know That"

Yes: "Long Distance Runaround"
+1 
Esp. Yes - Long Distance Run Around and lots more from Fragile.
And select Phish, even Live.

This is an enjoyable topic & there seem to be some common denominators. My selections have changed over the years, these would on the list nowadays:
Pat Metheny, The Orchestrion Project: his orchestrionics, madhatter automatons,  layer rhythms  and counter-rhythmic motifs over guitar. (Details, spatialness)

Cameron Carpenter, Revolutionary: the piece, Solitude by Duke Ellington, arranged for his revolutionary digital organ, with its many Wurlitzer voices, spans the dynamic range from whisper to crescendo, including a climactic  cymbal crash! (Dynamic range, tones)

Chris Botti, Italia: tracks featuring Andrea Bocelli and Paula Cole in lush orchestral settings (male & female vocals)

Henryk Gorecki, Symphony #3, featuring Dawn Upshaw:  his relative harmonic & rhythmical simplicity in this slow, contemplative work lays bare the beauty of soprano voice and strings (clarity, dynamics, female voice)

Sting, Symphonica:  Sting's sustained high note that fades to close When We Dance is delicate, and I Burn For You is floated with subtle percussive & orchestral polyrhytms (detail, male voice, spatialness)

King Crimson, The Power To Believe:  the Crimson's unmistakable sonic crunch on display (impact, power handling)

Patricia Barber, Companion:  a live recording, the woody resonance of upright bass introducing Use Me (low end dynamics, female vocals, soundstage)

Patrick O'Hearn, Eldorado: instruments & percussion span the entire room, like fireflies flitting on & off at nightfall (soundtsage) 

Time to check the other entries! 

And that is as it should be. It's good to have pieces that test the ranges and dynamics of the parts or system being examined. But more importantly, you should be intimately familiar with them. If you haven't heard them on many different systems they may sound good in a new test, but you might not notice specific drop outs or emphasis. If you know the piece well it doesn't have to be a strenuous test. And no matter the piece, you should be familiar with it at different SPL's, because your ears and brain get more range with higher volume (hence the "loudness" button on many amps).

Something else to consider, neither vinyl nor CD have the range and clarity of well recorded DVDs due to higher sampling and such. A well done concert video can be a much better source for testing. One of the best recordings I've used is Yanni Live At The Acropolis. His neo-classical (it's no more "New Age" than Mannheim Steamroller) orchestral + keyboards stuff is not only very well presented, but there's many selections with instrumental breaks from individual players both orchestral and rock that really kick. The several drum solos are exceptional. My favorite of all is Kathy Brigg's ripping violin work, particularly on "Within Attraction". Oddly enough some of the more popular works one might consider using don't have as high a quality as they could. Pink Floyd's PULSE DVD is apparently compressed (and quite likely RIAA EQ'ed) so that the video's sound tracks are more in line with straight audio.
Gotta chime in because although I use and love the Pink Floyd, Steely Dan and Flim and the BB's tracks mentioned... for me, firing up a new piece means I break out Joni Mitchel's Court and Spark. Help Me is the track I always use. Just a personal thing that I've done since the 70's.

• 7 months later...