Professional methods for record care and use

RichP714

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Can we discuss the merits/demerits, pros/cons, advantages/disadvantages, myths/cold facts/statistics,... of IPA vs non-IPA vs distilled-water vs tap-water, tergitol vs disc washer vs dish washers for record cleaning in this thread? emsmilep.gifface20.gif

Greg Viaggiano kindly provided some Tergitol/Turgitol. The couple of LPs that I have cleaned so far are visually cleaner. I will try and do a before and after for the next cleaning. 

Actually the wood glue method works well for very dirty records! I have done it on a few , I inherited my deceased brothers collection when mom sold her house! They sat idle in the basement for 20 years! Some had some funky crud all over them! I also have one of the manual spin clean units, I have also used the tergito from Greg, it does a nice job! The latter is what the Library of Congress recommends for archival cleaning! Next time I use tergitol I will use it in the spin Clean and see how that works!

BarryG

Ok, In All seriousness - I once heard that the best way to DEEP CLEAN vinyl was to coat the record with wood glue, let it dry, then peal it (and all the gunk) off...

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/07/24/using-wood-glue-to-clean-your-vinyl-records/

Thoughts? Sounds crazy to me....

I've done it numerous times. I posted a thread with pics a few years ago. It's my last resort. Sometimes it works sometimes not. I made a hell of a mess with it a few weeks ago

Hi, I have used the wood glue method only a few times to get a hard piece of vinyl or a metal sliver out of the records grove of the first track.

I made sure the glue was really dry before pulling it off as it really stretches a great deal as you pull it off.

That said it did get the foreign object out of the records grove stopping it from skipping when the stylus hit that part of the first track.

So it works well but I would only use the glue for foreign objects that cause either skipping or really loud pops that will not come out of the LP's grove with normal cleaning.

It works but it's not as simple as people think it is. If the extra tab of glue I left to grab and pull up on the LP came off I would have had no idea how to get the glue off the record. So use great care with the glue method. Think

Actually the wood glue method works well for very dirty records! I have done it on a few , I inherited my deceased brothers collection when mom sold her house! They sat idle in the basement for 20 years! Some had some funky crud all over them! I also have one of the manual spin clean units, I have also used the tergito from Greg, it does a nice job! The latter is what the Library of Congress recommends for archival cleaning! Next time I use tergitol I will use it in the spin Clean and see how that works!

BarryG

Barry what is tergito? I have never heard of it. 

Here's the Library of Congress procedures for Care, Handling and Storage of Audio Video Materials.
The formula for the Tergitol solution is a few pages down under Cleaning Audio Video Materials.

• Thank You 1

• 3 months later...
I finally figured out the only way I can get this hard gunk off my new records. I use a very soft cloth for cleaning glasses and dry wipe the record in both rotational directions. Yes, I know your not supposed to go against the grain.

However, it only takes a few rotations of counter clockwise dry cleaning to break free this gunk from the pressing process and then I dry clean it clockwise a few times.

It worked perfectly. Now my Pink Floyd copy of "The Wall" sounds great along with my new copy of "Four Seasons" Direct To Disk.

These new records are the only two I bought that came with this hard gunk on them. So hopefully this will not be something I need to do often. It beats using liquids that seem to just spread this gunk all over the record.Big Grin

While I would tend to agree with you, can you offer any proof? Ultrasonics still involve liquids, how do you propose to draw that liquid and the associated debris out of the grooves? 

• Community Admin

Using a vacuum machine will not guarantee pristine playback. Ultrasonic is the way to go.

+1 

BarryG

How are you able to peel off the glue if you do the entire record? I did it to the first track on my Steely Dan "Aja" record since it had a small metal partial in the grove. I left a bunch of wood glue to dry on a old CD-R next to it so I could use that as a pull tab. It did work well and saved the record from a actual skip point that could also damage the stylus.

If you are asking about using wood glue, I've used Titebond II numerous times to glue the entire record. Once it's dried I use my fingernail to get it started and the entire application comes right off.